• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Check your local yard sales. I've seen several setups going cheap. Hard to justify with how cheap plated, coated, and even real jacketed bulk are.

Facebook is another great resource.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There are other benefits to casting besides economy. You can get better bullet fit in guns than can be obtained with store bought stuff. Sniper 79 is correct, I've picked up a lot of stuff at yard sales.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I shoot .45 Colt in Cowboy Action Shooting matches. My biggest expense in the lead bullets. I think I have everything I need to get started, except lead, and I plan on hitting up a few tire shops for that. But it would be nice to not have to order lube if I need it. I have not seen any casting gear at yard sales but I haven't really been looking, so I will keep an eye out now. Thanks.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Good luck with the tire shops, it's been a long time since I've found lead there that wasn't priced the same as the scrapyard or some corporate policy forbade it's being sold. Remember that wheel weights aren't what they used to be, there may be zinc or iron mixed in so when you do your initial smelting take the temperature up to 600 and hold there for melt. Iron and zinc weights will float to the top along with the steel clips and trash. Zinc is bad and can contaminate your lead making it hard to get good fill out.

For 45 Colt at CB velocities, you can use about any lead, even pure. Tumble lube with Alox, allow to dry and load them up.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    This is why people are getting out of it. Sources for lead are slim to none and like I mentioned earlier when bought in bulk bullets are cheap. Got to figure in your time and lead exposure health risks too.

Looking to save a buck ditch the 45 for a 38 and shoot plated or coated pills. Buy bulk.

boatswainsmate

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 20, 2014
    Howard County
    I would hit up the Indy 1500 show coming up soon. There's a company out of Ohio that sets up with allot of Lee casting products that could get you started cheaply. A casting pot, 6 banger mold and a push thru sizer would be all you need to feed your SASS needs. Lead can be found if your willing to hunt the scrapyards and make your own alloy. One of my recent lead haul's. 234 pounds of linotype.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would hit up the Indy 1500 show coming up soon. There's a company out of Ohio that sets up with allot of Lee casting products that could get you started cheaply. A casting pot, 6 banger mold and a push thru sizer would be all you need to feed your SASS needs. Lead can be found if your willing to hunt the scrapyards and make your own alloy. One of my recent lead haul's. 234 pounds of linotype.

Nice!:drool:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I shoot .45 Colt in Cowboy Action Shooting matches. My biggest expense in the lead bullets. I think I have everything I need to get started, except lead, and I plan on hitting up a few tire shops for that. But it would be nice to not have to order lube if I need it. I have not seen any casting gear at yard sales but I haven't really been looking, so I will keep an eye out now. Thanks.

Not a lot of lead wheel weights at tire shops any longer, for quite a few years now zinc and steel have been used.
    Think about mining the range you shoot at if possible, of inquire at the indoor ranges on buying lead from them.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    2ebbrf6.jpg

So, are these worth something?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I have 30(ish) pounds of clean 60/40 kesters lead solder....you need/can use this to make your pure lead a little harder.......up for grabs....

Cast boolits is a good resource as well

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have everything I need but lead at this point. I prefer to stay on the softer side as all the targets we use are steel. If I need to, I can go to the local scrap dealer and see what he has. Wheel weights are supposed to be perfect. I am a member of two ranges so I might see what I can find there on the ground.

boatswainsmate

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 20, 2014
    Howard County
    I have everything I need but lead at this point. I prefer to stay on the softer side as all the targets we use are steel. If I need to, I can go to the local scrap dealer and see what he has. Wheel weights are supposed to be perfect. I am a member of two ranges so I might see what I can find there on the ground.
    The only time I've bought lead down your way was when I visited O'neals scrap yard. I bought 300 pounds of roofing lead that was on a barn at one time.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I will check around and see what I can find. Back in the old days, cast iron sewer pipe was sealed with lead at each joint, but I haven't seen any old houses being torn down lately. Thanks.

Top Bottom