• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Yup, it was very popular. It gave a lot of people a pile of money for some really crappy cars. But to what end?

From the leading newspaper of economic and business review, I submit this analysis from the Wall Street Journal:
    Clunkers in Practice
    One of Washington's all-time dumb ideas.

Cash for Clunkers Fails to Help Economy and Environment - WSJ.com

Remember "cash for clunkers," the program that subsidized Americans to the tune of nearly $3 billion to buy a new car and destroy an old one? Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood declared in August that, "This is the one stimulus program that seems to be working better than just about any other program."

If that's true, heaven help the other programs. Last week U.S. automakers reported that new car sales for September, the first month since the clunker program expired, sank by 25% from a year earlier. Sales at GM and Chrysler fell by 45% and 42%, respectively. Ford was down about 5%. Some 700,000 cars were sold in the summer under the program as buyers received up to $4,500 to buy a new car they would probably have purchased anyway, so all the program seems to have done is steal those sales from the future. Exactly as critics predicted.

Cash for clunkers had two objectives: help the environment by increasing fuel efficiency, and boost car sales to help Detroit and the economy. It achieved neither. According to Hudson Institute economist Irwin Stelzer, at best "the reduction in gasoline consumption will cut our oil consumption by 0.2 percent per year, or less than a single day's gasoline use." Burton Abrams and George Parsons of the University of Delaware added up the total benefits from reduced gas consumption, environmental improvements and the benefit to car buyers and companies, minus the overall cost of cash for clunkers, and found a net cost of roughly $2,000 per vehicle. Rather than stimulating the economy, the program made the nation as a whole $1.4 billion poorer.

The basic fallacy of cash for clunkers is that you can somehow create wealth by destroying existing assets that are still productive, in this case cars that still work. Under the program, auto dealers were required to destroy the car engines of trade-ins with a sodium silicate solution, then smash them and send them to the junk yard. As the journalist Henry Hazlitt wrote in his classic, "Economics in One Lesson," you can't raise living standards by breaking windows so some people can get jobs repairing them.

In the category of all-time dumb ideas, cash for clunkers rivals the New Deal brainstorm to slaughter pigs to raise pork prices. The people who really belong in the junk yard are the wizards in Washington who peddled this economic malarkey.​

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It did clear out inventories. On lots, in factories;assembly as well as parts.
    Those will need be replenished (read WORK) even if no jump in sales is realized this year.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Those will need be replenished (read WORK) even if no jump in sales is realized this year.

Yes, but I don't think they will refill the parts bins and car lots to the point that they were before either.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Well that does not appear to be true. The lots have not been replenished, plants are not gearing up. Sales have plummeted after the false demand created by the program and we (read YOU & ME) owe interest payments on $3 BILLION dollars that we borrowed for this sorry arsed program.

FURTHER, it CRASHED sales at used car dealers and auto parts stores which forced many to close down (read LOST JOBS).

FURTHER, even with the Cash for Clunkers program, car dealerships have not been spared from closing and many are doing just that (read MORE LOST JOBS) and also the brand SATURN has now been shuttered forever (read EVEN MORE LOST JOBS).

Let me point out, as the journalist Henry Hazlitt wrote in his classic, "Economics in One Lesson," you can't raise living standards by breaking windows so some people can get jobs repairing them.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    not the mention that fact that you took older running cars off the road which will:

a) remove those lower priced cars from the market for those who need to, as its all they can afford

b) remove those cars from the service centers and shops that work on them

etc etc

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    It would almost seem that when you try to force a free market economy to do something it has a bad effect......

Anyone see the "Butterfly Effect" so-so movie but it showed that when you change one thing there is a ripple effect.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't see older cars off the road as a bad thing. Usually ... less safe, less fuel efficient...etc.

NHTSA could lessen some regs and allow us to have cheaper cars. The safe <--> light/cheap dichotomy of their regulations is sometimes self-defeating.

But, yes, people are back to work in this industry. Inventories will not rise to the levels as before. Mostly due to closed plants as assembly AND parts factories. Those closed plants have no physical way of injecting the same amount of supply into the system for the simple fact that they are closed/out of business.

Inventories on all the lots I have been on, and as a hobby I stop by car lots about every other day, are near empty. Lowest I have ever seen. Now, some are fuller than others. I see a lot of Fords. But they were taking a different tack on this whole thing.

GM is much leaner and Toyota fears it COULD go under. ( Toyoda on Toyota: "Grasping for Salvation" - BusinessWeek )

I think we will see long-term positive effects of everything that has happened to the industry here.

No one is suggesting that it pleases everyone.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    All they did was delay the inevitable. It's like digging a hole on a sandy beach; you can pile the sand really really high, but the next tide is going to level it all back out.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If nothing else, getting some of the highly polluting old POS' off the road will be a nice thing. Except I need to buy one of those old "clunkers" now, and there aren't as many to choose from, darn it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If nothing else, getting some of the highly polluting old POS' off the road will be a nice thing. Except I need to buy one of those old "clunkers" now, and there aren't as many to choose from, darn it.

Well the only good news I can find about Cash for Clunkers is that over 95% of the "I VOTED FOR OBAMA" bumper stickers have now been removed from the roadways :cool:

Top Bottom