• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    I was wondering if anyone carrys their glock or other firearm (without external safety) unchambered? I have a couple glocks that I love but more often than not i find myself carrying the lc9 because i like the feeling of having the thumb safety engaged. I also feel that carrying a gun unchambered could put you in a difficult scenerio if you need it quickly. so i guess the question is does anyone carry unchambered?

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    I got my LTCH in June and my first gun (Glock 19) shortly after. I carried with an empty chamber everyday. Only recently I started to carry with one in the pipe. I carried an empty chamber for so long because it was my first gun, being new to owning and carrying a firearm and being nervous. But I've been using training rounds and walking around my house with one of those chambered. Just had to get used to it.

I made the change after I was comfortable and it if I need it instantly, I don't want to waste precious seconds racking the slide.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Like Tebow says, it's just something you need to get used to. I know I did that, too when I first started carrying. Shooting a lot gets you over the subconscious fear that the gun will go off on its own somehow. No offense intended, but if you're still feeling this way it probably means you need to practice more.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    I have carried with one chambered from day one and my wife is the same way. To me if your carrying unchambered, there is no since in carrying. No offense, just MO..

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Its common for folks to be a little unsure of carrying in Condition 1 (round in chamber).

A weekend of professional training will boost your confidence and give you the experience you need to shake off the nerves.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    But I've been using training rounds and walking around my house with one of those chambered. Just had to get used to it.

I tell this to all new gun owners. If they don't feel comfortable carrying chambered, I say; "Hey, buy yourself a few snap caps, load one in the chamber, and walk around your house for a few weeks. Bet that snap cap/dummy round will still be in the same status it was when you placed it there weeks ago. They get comfortable with knowing their gun won't randomly discharge the weapon when secured in a quality holster (there are ALWAYS exceptions of course).

Good for you man. :ingo: :yesway:

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    In short NO!

I carry chambered or "cocked and locked" depending on what Im carrying.

I dont currently own any Glocks, but when I did they were chambered.

My Sigs and CZs do not have safties and are carried chambered but decocked.

My LCR has 5 .357 rounds ready to go.

Always prepared.

As most have stated if you are not comfortable then practice.
    If you still dont like carrying a Glock chambered you could always buy a Sig. A heavy (as long as its smooth) DA first shot is the best safty imho.

mgross28

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Richmond
    I carry my glock 23 with one in the tube but as they said I shot a bunch of rounds before I felt comfortable

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    The thing to remember OP, is guns can and will go BANG! when chambering and clearing a pistol. Just be aware and always point your weapon in a safe direction when doing both of these actions.

Last edited:

birdwing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Lowell
    I carried my 9mm without one in the pipe when I first started carrying and it had a thumb safety. I carry my m&p 40 everyday now and always have one chamberd. I feel better with a chambered striker fire than with the hammer anyway. I also like the fact that should I need it, my weapon will be ready when drawn.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I don't think it's always about their discomfort of the trigger. While this may be somewhat of a factor, I'd say it's minimal at best. Just my opinion.

I would say his discomfort is not having an actual safety to disengage. The heavier trigger pull might help settle his nerves.

gunsrfun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    I say do what makes you feel comfortable. Having a gun with an empty chamber may not be best case, but better than no gun at all.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I say do what makes you feel comfortable. Having a gun with an empty chamber may not be best case, but better than no gun at all.
    ^ agreed. After some time carrying without a dry "UD", you might change your mind...or not.

I've heard that the difference between chambered and unchambered is about 0.5 second. I think that was between the 2.0 - 2.5 second window (assuming a holstered pistol). What bothers me most isn't the 0.5 second window itself. It is what I might need the weak hand for during the half-second while it was needed for racking the slide.

IIRC, youtube has a video on it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    We have two Glock pistols, a 19 (wife's) and a 23 (mine), both Gen II's that I found NIB last summer...sweet pistols!

We also have young children in the house (7, 4, & 3) so we have made the choice to not carry with a round in the chamber such that we will not forget to unload it while in the house, just in case one of the kids would get their hands on one and be able to shoot it.

We train to draw and rack the slide, loading the pistol in order to fire. We do the same with the Remington 870 20 GA Tactical shotgun (wife's) and the CMMG AR-15 (mine).

Everything in life is a calculated risk...and you can say whatever you want about need, speed, etc. in drawing a pistol to defend yourself. However, I will take the risk that I have the .5 seconds required to rack the slide to load the pistol in a time of need, rather have the risk that one of my kids might get their hands on one and be able to shoot themselves or a sibling because there was a bullet in the chamber...which is something I can prevent from the start!

While we do keep our guns locked up (revolvers are in the safe and unloaded), my youngest son did happen to punch in the correct code and open the safe (by chance...when he was 2) and I won't take the chance that one of them might do it again!

My 7 y/o daughter has shot my 10/22 rifle a few times and loves it! But she is very obedient with it and handles it well...following the safety guidelines we lay down when we shoot! Safety comes first!

Protection of my family comes first...and that includes protection from forseeable accidents at home!

As far as the YouTube video...the girl waited too long to draw her pistol in the first place! She was too slow in recognizing the danger and waited to long to react. She should have drawn sooner! She was reactive instead of pro-active in defending herself. Anybody can see that!

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    It was more than ten years ago, but I was once in the OP's shoes. The pistol was an early Sigma, was unreliable, and I didn't understand its mechanics.

Carry with the dummy rounds, until you do feel comfortable.

As some consolation, and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, but I believe an empty chamber is Israeli .mil standard SOP. If you look, you will be able to find some of their training/demonstration videos on Youtube. If you practice, you can become proficient.

Maybe one day you'll feel comfortable carrying a loaded gun, but don't push yourself, and don't let anyone belittle or push you into it before then.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom