• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm starting to wonder if I'm coming to the same conclusion the FBI did back in 1990. Namely, that the extra pop of 10mm over .40 isn't worth the premium in gun size and weight.

I love my G20, don't get me wrong, and I'm a huge fan of 10mm. When I bought the gun, however, I had only home defense in mind and had no real intentions of carrying with any regularity.

Now that I've carried it out and about several times, I've found that while it is doable (even with a cheap Fobus paddle), it's far from ideal. Now that I'm adding carrying to the mix, it seems that a G23 step-down is appropriate. Basically, I'm thinking the G23 is better at home defense than the G20 is at carrying.

If the G20 was a little thinner and lighter, it wouldn't be quite so bad. Is it just the holster that's making it so bad? I mean, it is just a Fobus paddle. I've never tried carrying it in a high grade holster intended for carry, and never tried IWB. Perhaps this might actually carry OK in an MTAC or Phantom?

I don't want to get further invested in a G20 only to end up abandoning it, so going through every G20 holster is something I wish to avoid.

Should I just migrate to G23/32/19 and call it good?

Anyone carrying a full-size G20/G21 with regularity?

Thanks

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    A Glock 23 or 19 make an awesome carry or HD options, certainly couldn't go wrong with either one of them plus they would be easier to CC then the G20. That of course doesn't mean you couldn't carry the G20 with the right holster/belt combo. Fobus holsters are ok for range carry or to have as a quick option for at home but I wouldn't use it as my primary carry holster. If you go the IWB route then make sure your pants are 1 size larger to accommodate the extra width makes IWB carry way more comfortable.

You might look at the G29 as a different option then the G20, a little smaller but you still would have the same width problem. I have CC'ed a Glock 30 quite a few years ago and was able to OWB CC with no problem but have never attempted a full size G20 or G21.

I guess for me it would come down to personal preference with what fit me. I am a large (too large :D) individual and I tend to go with smaller rather then larger when EDCC. Right now I mainly CC a G26 OWB, its a easy, comfortable, and very capable handgun if needed.

If you could find someone in your area that has a G23/19 and would let you check it out that might make your decision a little easier. I am up in NW Indiana (FT Wayne area) if you are in this area you would be more than welcome to take a look at my G26 set up and see it it works for you.

Good luck in your search for the perfect carry gun :D :draw:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I love my Glock 21 and wouldn't part with it. I don't have a holster for it at all. It rides in the truck with me or stashed at home someplace.

When it comes to CC I don't carry a Glock currently. I am thinking the same thoughts of possibly trading one of my other guns and get into a Glock 9mm since I love the 21 so much.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have both a G20 and G29, and the G29 is relatively easier to carry concealed.

Or you could get a G32 .357 Sig.
    It's also a hot round but in a smaller frame that's the same as a G23, and it has the advantage of just swapping in a G23 barrel to have a .40 S&W.

I've gotten to where I carry either 10mm or 357 Sig.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I only occasionally carry my G20. Most of the time I'm carrying the G29.

But as far as carrying the G20 goes, yes, holster selection makes a world of difference. A Fobus paddle holster is not a good choice for comfortable carry.

Regarding the FBI: in spite of what is "common knowledge," the switch from 10mm to .40S&W had far more to do with politics than any issue with training or size and weight.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I concealed carry a full size S&W 1006 in this holster here - Inside the Waistband Holsters IWB
    It's made of horsehide, and the price -- ~$150 total, including shipping -- reflects that.
    But the quality is superb, and horsehide is probably the finest material available for a holster, particularly IWB, since it's extremely durable, very resistant to moisture, and rigid enough to allow one-handed holstering as an IWB.
    Carry what's comfortable for you, but I'm convinced that most people resort to downsized guns for CCW because they haven't invested in quality leather for them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I went through my Fobus phase several years back and had one for most of my guns. Then someone suggested the idea that carrying a gun does not have to be uncomfortable and I started to buy quality leather holsters and a few Blackhawk Serpas. I have a Fobus for my G20 and hate the thing. Hate it! I have a mid-grade Galco that I carry the G20 in on the rare occasions that I carry that gun now days. I'm like you in that I am shy about investing more money into a gun that I'm not planning on carrying, but since adding a G21 to the stable, there is now a bit more reason to do so.

My biggest, heaviest gun that I carry regularly is a full size Sig railed 1911 and that gets carried in a Kramer OWB scabbard in horsehide. I can carry that gun all day long comfortably and I'll eventually order one for my G20/G21 carry needs. In the mean time, I have the same holster for my G23 and it's near the perfect setup for discreet carry. To me, the G23 is the perfect self defense tool. It's not pretty but it conceals well. It has a decent capacity and the caliber is stout. The rail allows it to be used for nightstand duty by clipping a light to it. I have guns that I like better, but over the last year, I've come to carry the G23 more than any other.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I carried a full-size G21 for a long time and the key is a good belt and holster. I'm very partial to Ares Gear Ranger Belts and Raven Concealment Phantom kydex holsters. Keeps the gun in nice and tight and won't wear you out. In the end I opted for the G30 and G19 because I was getting roughly the same number of rounds as the full-size version in a much more concealable package. Plus you have the option of carrying the full-size G21/G17 mags as backup. I'd carry my G34 if I felt like i the realm of self-defense I'd really gain a lot over my G19 but I only lose 2 rounds of capacity and have an easier to draw from concealment weapon with the 19.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I started with a Glock 21 (20+ years ago), then bought a 30 (1998 timeframe) and tried to carry these comfortably, but admittedly never did a lot of holster research in those days. I then went to Glock 23/27, but now mostly carry Glock 19 or 26. The 23/27/19/26 size is very comfortable, and yes, definitely get a good gun belt. As someone else posted, I have a Daltech Force Bio Belt and it makes a huge difference. I carry IWB with a Galco King Tuk hybrid holster between the 5 - 5:30 position and I easily carry this setup every day.

Get a good belt, get a good holster, and carry a gun that is comfortable for you to shoot/carry and that is in what you believe to be an effective caliber, then shoot the heck out of it.

Last edited:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Carry both on occasion.(G19/21). Right belt, decent holsters,(I like the fitted holsters in leather, no thumb breaks)DeSantis, Galco, Safariland, Bianchi are my favorites. Nope, not cheap. When they fit perfect, have a strong side carry, and a front crossdraw appendix carry. Not really big on hip plate style, but do own a couple and they work ok.
    The new thing appears to be Kydex, but the ride shoves them into my armpit, too high. Also my preferred belt is 1 3/4 vs a 1 1/2 in width, so you need to watch when you buy and ask for belt width.
    My holster tub has grown depending on what is new/old, unused. Found some of them will work with other firearms, but if you can afford a $500-600 handgun, you can swing a $100.00 holster.
    Reading is education, so plenty here on INGO. Good luck.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have both a G20 and G29, and the G29 is relatively easier to carry concealed.

Or you could get a G32 .357 Sig.
    It's also a hot round but in a smaller frame that's the same as a G23, and it has the advantage of just swapping in a G23 barrel to have a .40 S&W.

I've gotten to where I carry either 10mm or 357 Sig.
    For me, there's no difference between G32 or G23 because I will buy the 'other' barrel regardless. If forced to choose, I'd prefer G32 just because there's fewer of them.

I don't want to go down to G29 for a couple reasons:
    1) I really don't like the 29/30 format. It's too fat to be a gun that small. It's heavier than a G23, but still has no pinky on the grip and fewer rounds than full size, and doesn't carry much better than 19/23/32 (might actually be worse).
    2) I feel that 10mm should be in a full size gun for control-ability with the hotter stuff. If you're not going to carry hotter 10mm, why bother with it at all over .40SW?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I mainly carry a G19 but do occasionally bust out my G 20SF. I carry both OWB in good quality leather holsters. That and the Galco belt I use make it effortless.

SS 396

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Coatesville
    I carry my Glock 21 daily in a Galco Fletch leather belt holster. I also have a Galco summer comfort IWB that works real well. I have carried this gun 12 yrs you get used to it, i am not a big person 6ft 180lbs i can conceal it just fine. Normally i just wear a size larger shirt. I think i would be lost without it, i have carried smaller guns but keep staying with my full size Glock.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I moved mostly from my G27 to a G21 when I decided I needed a 45 for my EDC. I use a holster from Reaper Tactical. It's the Annihilator model and it rides so firm and conceals awesome for me at 4 o'clock. I even carry the +2 mag extension in mine.

If if you haven't looked at their holsters you should. I'm not affiliated with them in any way but have been so pleased I've told all my friends. They used to have a booth at the 1500 which is where I ordered mine but I haven't been to rhe last few so I can't comment.

I agree with what people here have been saying about the right heavy belt and holster combination. For me, the extra mag is what is heavy and uncomfortable to carry when I don't have a jacket on.

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    Like many have said already: The difference a quality belt/holster makes is huge. I'm not a very big guy ( not TALL anyway!) and I carried a double stack 1911 for years that was well concealed and comfortable.

Find something that fits you well and allows SAFE one hand re-holstering and you'll be surprised what you can comfortably carry.

ncuster852

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I can only carry a G21 (same size as your 20) in the winter, but I have very little trouble most months carrying the G30. If I was in your shoes and really liked the 10mm, I would take a hard look at adding the G29 for ccw.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For me, there's no difference between G32 or G23 because I will buy the 'other' barrel regardless. If forced to choose, I'd prefer G32 just because there's fewer of them.

I don't want to go down to G29 for a couple reasons:
    1) I really don't like the 29/30 format. It's too fat to be a gun that small. It's heavier than a G23, but still has no pinky on the grip and fewer rounds than full size, and doesn't carry much better than 19/23/32 (might actually be worse).
    2) I feel that 10mm should be in a full size gun for control-ability with the hotter stuff. If you're not going to carry hotter 10mm, why bother with it at all over .40SW?

Those were my exact sentiments when I sold my G29sf. It was a neat gun, but it really was no smaller than my G23, held 3 fewer rounds and I tended to carry with Hornady XTPs which are not much hotter than a .40SW. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably still have it. It was a neat gun, but as a carry gun, I could not find a situation where it would be a better choice than other carry guns I've owned.

Top Bottom