• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Is carrying a no-go at after-school functions?

My wife has a school meeting/party/function Wednesday night. They have a type of ball room rented.

I didn't think I could carry, but I wanted to make sure.

xmanhockey7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    What if you show up to a place that is having a school function? For example....You and your wife have the day off and she wants to go to the museum. You have no clue that, that day Mrs. Cooper's 1st grade class is on a field trip to the museum. You go there carrying having no clue or connection to the class. Could you legally carry?

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Timing and location are not relevant. School function = no carry.

Gotta leave you knife in the car, too.

Leave knife in the car? According to IN Law a knife is an instrument that consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; AND is intended to be used as a weapon.

My "KNIFE" is a tool not a knife. i carried 2 to school through out high school 05-09 never had a word said to me several teachers and staff knew i carried them. I even went to a vocational school through my high school and carried their also they were more strict on rules and searched every student at the door every so often just slide the TOOL in my boot and empty pockets and open back pack if carrying one then your clear to enter.:twocents::ingo::patriot:
    IC 35-47-5-2.5
    Possession of a knife on school property
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon.
    (b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    (c) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on:
    (1) school property (as defined in IC 35-41-1-24.7);
    (2) a school bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-8); or
    (3) a special purpose bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-10);
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Class D felony if the offense results in bodily injury or serious bodily injury to another person.
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    As added by P.L.72-2006, SEC.9.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Doesn't NO CARRY only pertained too public school property?

Nope
    IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What type of meeting/party/function is it?

And what kind of school?

THOSE are the determining factors.

-J-

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I don't carry on school grounds period. If I know before hand I am going to be on school property I leave my piece at home. If an unforeseen event requires me to visit the school (kid got sick, have to drop off something, etc.) I unload and lock it in the glove box of my truck and, if possible, park off school premises.

I know that by the letter of the law I can carry in the car as long as I don't get out and I'm there for the purpose of dropping off or picking up but it would surprise the Hell out of me if the school officials to know that. In addition I don't fully trust the local PD to know. I figure if I'm made the best case scenario is that the boys in blue have to explain to the school that I've done nothing wrong. Worst case scenario I have to pay my attorney to explain to everyone that I've done nothing wrong. But I digress.

Your best bet is to not carry on school property. It sucks since we're the good guys but it's something we have to do.

Last edited:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Poop.

The knife things sucks even more...
    IC 35-47-5-2.5
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Class D felony if the offense results in bodily injury or serious bodily injury to another person.
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    As added by P.L.72-2006, S
    You're good carrying the knife. I have carried and used large knives, think 4" folders, on school property for years. No one said a word. As long as you don't intend to use them as a weapon, you are legal.

Bruizer13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    I would probably choose not to carry if there is previous knowledge of a school function at any establishment. Also, I would probably not OC in an area where a possible school function is being conducted. For instance at a zoo, museum, aquarium, etc. during the week you can pretty much guarantee there will be a school function going on.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Entire school corporation. It's a party/meeting. Awards will be passed. Food served. Speeches. Stuff like that.

It is not held on school property.

I would say that yes, if the school corp. is putting on the event... Then it would indeed qualify as a "school function".

-J-

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Entire school corporation. It's a party/meeting. Awards will be passed. Food served. Speeches. Stuff like that.

It is not held on school property.
    If it's the school corporation; IANAL, but it would appear to me that this would make it a "school function" and thus "school property" and thus no carry anywhere "in common" with the property being used by the school function.

Now there is a provision for exemption that may or may not apply:
    IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.

It sucks, but you can now go, and write your state reps to tell them why it sucks and that they should adjust Indiana law. Federal law permits carry on school property by those who are licensed by the state, if Indiana didn't have a law making random temporary Victim-Zones this would be a non-issue.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    What if you show up to a place that is having a school function? For example....You and your wife have the day off and she wants to go to the museum. You have no clue that, that day Mrs. Cooper's 1st grade class is on a field trip to the museum. You go there carrying having no clue or connection to the class. Could you legally carry?

That is what is called the "rolling school zone" and a topic that comes up time and time again here on INGO. Search that terms here for many discussions on the topic.

Short answer is: UNKNOWN. There is no Indiana case law on if the "rolling school zone" theory will be upheld in an Indiana court. It's a gray area in the law. Some ATTYs have warned of this; others say you won't get in trouble. The legislators have not see it fit to "addres this".

-Jedi

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Glad to see more people are starting to quote and post the Indiana Codes helps others search for themselves and show your not talking out of your arse. Rep to those who posted ICs.

smccabe17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I was told in a Florida CCW class by a police officer, not a lawyer about my situation. We own a business and 5th grade class was coming to our place for a field trip. Since it was our property we did not have to worry about carrying.

We also discussed if you are apart of the school function at another place, parent chaperon you have to follow the school rules. If you just happen to be somewhere and a class shows up, you don't have to take of running in the other direction.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    IC 35-47-5-2.5
    (1) if:
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    As added by P.L.72-2006, S
    You're good carrying the knife. I have carried and used large knives, think 4" folders, on school property for years. No one said a word. As long as you don't intend to use them as a weapon, you are legal.

I don't mean to threadjack, and really hope I don't. I also want to clearly state that which ever way this answer goes, I will not be carrying my knife at school. But according to these codes, I as a student am allowed to have a knife on me at school? During the day? Going from class to class?!

Top Bottom