• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Firearms are strictly prohibited anywhere on the property here at work so I leave my carry at home,I use to just leave it locked in my glove box but a guy got fired last year for that {no clue as to how they found out} I just dont want to chance it.​

well tonight on my way to work I had an experience that got me thinking.​

I stopped to get some gas and as I was at the pump a brother and his white counter part where standing at the door tryin to look ghetto fab,wel they kept lookin over at me and talking back and forth then all of the sudden they both come runnin at me which freaked me out enough that I had my hand on my belt knife,turned out all they wanted was to see if they could bum a smoke from me,when I said no they asked if I would give them some money to buy a pack which I said no to as well,they called me an ******* then walked off. I started thinking..what if they wanted to TAKE my money instead of just asking for some like they did and what if they had pulled a gun and I standing there with a knife..yeah Ima thinkin the out come would be grim for myself... I mean this is why we carry,to protect ourselves but how can we protect ourselves if we have to leave our weapon at home?​

my 3rd shift crew is small{3 people} and we have things on the property that would be considered huge targets for theft..mainly chemicals and certain gases used in the medical and industrial fields. we have been "trained" on what to do incase someone decided to get ballsy which consists of running into a certain room and calling 911​

now for the question...​

what could I say to the owner of the company that would convince him to let me CC at work?​

I am pretty good friends with the owners son {we shoot together quit a bit} the CEO is a gun owner and when I say gun owner I dont just mean he owns a gun I mean he is obsessed with guns,is a retired marine and also does a bit of gunsmithing from his home. the plant manager is also a gun owner along with most everyone in the office so this company is no where near anti-gun.​

Im sure the only reason for the "no firearms" rule is so he can cover his ass incase something happens. is there anything I can do or say that will make him think it would be a good idea for me to carry here? I thought about telling him Im willing to take some sort of class on my dime. I just dont want to say the wrong thing which would make is difficult for me to ever bring the topic up again to him. any advice?​

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If I were you, I'd definitely say something to him about it and see what he says. Who knows, maybe he would agree to put you through some sort of training that would allow you to carry on the job as an additional security detail. Again, insurance regulations and things of that nature could very well have his hands tied, but there are ways around that. The worst that could happen, he'll say it's not possible and then you're stuck where you already are.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Too many insurance problems , your probably not gonna be able to carry at work , as most places wont let you .

If I were you I'd carry in my car but you CANNOT let anyone know , PERIOD !

No matter how good of friends you are with anyone .

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Too many insurance problems , your probably not gonna be able to carry at work , as most places wont let you .

If I were you I'd carry in my car but you CANNOT let anyone know , PERIOD !

No matter how good of friends you are with anyone .

:+1:

I'd also invest in in-car gun safe instead of using the glove box. It's cheap insurance to protect against the smash-and-grab theft.

Center Of Mass Central

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    :+1:

I'd also invest in in-car gun safe instead of using the glove box. It's cheap insurance to protect against the smash-and-grab theft.

Center Of Mass Central

great advice! never knew there was such a thing!Im diggin that "console vault" but I drive a newer durango and didnt see a vault listed for that make..wonder if the one for a ram would work? may have to order me an early fathers day gift..thanks for the link!

my boss will be here in about an hour so Ill talk with him and let yall know the outcome.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm not saying I wouldn't have that talk BUT having it might make you a target. Every company I've ever worked at or heard about HR was a freaking snake and they will bite you any chance they get. Your boss may be cool with just a simple questions but if HR gets wind of it you might be targeted for "random" searches.

Just something to think about.

IN needs the law that protects our rights even at work. It is ridicules that insurance can effect policy like it does. I mean really.....are the chances of someone coming in and shooting up the place really that much more if guns are allowed vs not? I can make a great argument that violence is MUCH less likely with guns present.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    If they are so "pro gun" then why did the other guy get fired for having one in his car?

There was a bill being reviewed that would allow people to leave handguns in their cars at work despite company policies (like Florida). I'm not sure what the status on that is.

GunVault - Gun Safes for Home or Office - Home

there is more behind that than it sounds..the guy was a real problem,they suspected he was on drugs but he always passed his drug tests. I think they where just using any excuse they could come up with to fire the guy and he mentioned he had a weapon in his car to a supervisor which was a friend of the guy who got fired and I guess he told on him so they jumped on the chance to fire the guy.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I had a short talk with the boss this morning..he gave me the whole insurance speech and said he just cant chance it as he would be in a world of trouble if something would happen. he started to walk off then he came back and said "BUT...if you was to park in the secondary parking lot..which I do not technically own you can have whatever you want in your vehicle and we cant do a thing about it" so I said "if I park back there I can keep my weapon in my vehicle?" he said "Im not telling you anything other than that parking lot is not part of this company" then he gave me the ole wink. I dont park back there because I can park by the main gate which is by the front door at night but the back parking lot is in full view of my office but a longer walk..I think I can deal with the longer walk:rockwoot:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had a short talk with the boss this morning..he gave me the whole insurance speech and said he just cant chance it as he would be in a world of trouble if something would happen. he started to walk off then he came back and said "BUT...if you was to park in the secondary parking lot..which I do not technically own you can have whatever you want in your vehicle and we cant do a thing about it" so I said "if I park back there I can keep my weapon in my vehicle?" he said "Im not telling you anything other than that parking lot is not part of this company" then he gave me the ole wink. I dont park back there because I can park by the main gate which is by the front door at night but the back parking lot is in full view of my office but a longer walk..I think I can deal with the longer walk:rockwoot:
    So, I assume he's paying for your protection to & from the secondary lot? If not, you might mention to him that he'll be liable if anything happens to you on his property while you're disallowed from protecting yourself...It's just another way to look at the liability.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'm curious - for all the people who have this work issue, why are you worried it will be found in your car? I can't imagine a circumstance under which it could be discovered. I'm not allowed to carry at work, but if for instance I decided to violate that policy every single day, a PF9 in a pocket holster would be quite easy to wear day after day without discovery.

Alerion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'm curious - for all the people who have this work issue, why are you worried it will be found in your car? I can't imagine a circumstance under which it could be discovered. I'm not allowed to carry at work, but if for instance I decided to violate that policy every single day, a PF9 in a pocket holster would be quite easy to wear day after day without discovery.

I can think of a circumstance, NAVSEA Crane. A Navy base right here in Indiana. Security does random checks of cars entering the base with dogs trained to sniff out firearms (as well as other things.) :rolleyes:

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    I thought I read somewhere IN was considering a law to allow permit holders to legally lock their weapons in their cars during work hours. Has anyone heard anything like this? It would solve alot of my issues.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I thought I read somewhere IN was considering a law to allow permit holders to legally lock their weapons in their cars during work hours. Has anyone heard anything like this? It would solve alot of my issues.

SB11 is dead or almost dead in committee. More info in the Politics sub-forum.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac

It would be a step forward but private property is private property most employers would not change their policies I am sure most would tell you if you don't like the rules you are welcome to leave.

I do not agree with that but it is the unfortunate truth..

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    There was a thread about that earlier. I took the mostly unpopular position that there should be no law that dictates to employers what they can or cannot allow on their own property.

Top Bottom