• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a acquired a new job that requires I travel, and am wanting to put together an EDC-esque carry on bag. I've compiled a list that pretty much mimics my standard EDC bag, but has had items removed that obviously wouldn't jive with TSA.

Is there anything I may have overlooked?
    Does anyone know if the new knife rule is in effect? (I believe they reneged on it.)
    Will there be an issue with the Neosporin packets in my FAK? (Will they need to be removed and placed in the clear baggie?)
    Employer will not allow a firearm to be checked, and securing of the weapon at destinations/venues will be impossible and/or illegal per state signage laws.

This will be going into a Maxpedition Malaga (unless a different bag is supplied/requested by the employer).

Netbook
    -Charger
    USB Mouse
    First Aid Kit
    Chapstick
    Gum
    Paracord
    Pair of Socks
    Spare Batteries
    -AA
    -CR123
    Flashlight
    Pens
    Sharpie
    Notepad
    Bandana
    Phone Charger
    Clif Bars
    Cyalume Light Sticks
    Sunglasses
    -Bag/Cloth
    Spare Contacts
    Contact Solution
    Tissues
    Headphones
    Eyedrops
    Hand Lotion

Small Multi-tool (if blade is allowed by TSA)

I still need to piece together the FAK, but here is a short list of what I am looking to put in it.

Israeli Bandage
    Various Adhesive Bandages
    Neosporin
    Q-tips
    Nitrile Gloves
    Gauze
    Medical Tape
    Rubber Tourniquet
    Ibuprofen
    Benadryl
    Immodium AD
    Tylenol

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Disposable Poncho
    Space Blanket
    Fire Starter
    Water Bottle (empty Platypus bag)
    P-38 or P-51 Can Opener (if multi-tool is a no-go)

I have been caught in an earthquake and a record-setting blizzard while traveling. I had a small bag of essentials that came in handy both times.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Disposable Poncho
    Space Blanket
    Fire Starter
    Water Bottle (empty Platypus bag)
    P-38 or P-51 Can Opener (if multi-tool is a no-go)

I have been caught in an earthquake and a record-setting blizzard while traveling. I had a small bag of essentials that came in handy both times.

The poncho and blanket are sitting there, not sure why I missed putting them on the list. I'll need to look into the can opener and make sure it's not prohibited. I might throw a fire steel in there, but still need to make sure it would get past TSA. :rolleyes:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Multi-tool with blade is a no go. Same for can opener. Not sure about fire steel, but I doubt it.

I would add Dramamine and Pepto for motion sickness, earplugs, thumb drive with digital copies of DL, passport, insurance cards, family and business contact info, etc. If you wear a watch it doesn't hurt to have a spare battery for that too. Deck of cards. Bic lighter if those are allowed.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Multi-tool with blade is a no go. Same for can opener. Not sure about fire steel, but I doubt it.

I would add Dramamine and Pepto for motion sickness, earplugs, thumb drive with digital copies of DL, passport, insurance cards, family and business contact info, etc. If you wear a watch it doesn't hurt to have a spare battery for that too. Deck of cards. Bic lighter if those are allowed.

I did a search and found people not having issues with a can opener and fire steel, but most of them were attached to keys. I will probably forgo these though.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Went to Alaska last summer and took a Leatherman style PS, never had any problems. Also had a mini pry bar and a mini Vice Grip. I think you can take any tool under 7" without a blade including screwdrivers.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Congrats on the new job
    Thanks, Dick. It's not a full time position, but it's a good foot in the door for when one opens up.

I think I would have a $20 in there separate from your normal cash.
    Been back and forth on this, but since someone suggested it I might as well throw some cash in there. Probably singles and some fives in case I would need to hit up a vending machine somewhere.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Map - Add a paper map for the local area you are going to. I get free road atlases from my insurance agent and always get an extra. I will simply cut out the city map for the destination I am going to.

Water - Pack a good water bottle and some water treatment tabs. Fill with water as soon as you are through TSA security.

Hat & Gloves - Wool hat for warmth and gloves for protection.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    That is a pretty good list you have. The TSA is very specific as to what you can and can't take on a plane. As long as you follow their rules, you still might hosed. It's all about who checks your bag and what kind of day they are having. In other words, it's very subjective.

I worked on putting together a similar bag for a project I was working on last year. I spent time working with the TSA in various airports around the country and in DC to come up with a TSA friendly BOB. Let me know if you are interested in more info as to what you can and can't take with you.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Thanks, Dick. It's not a full time position, but it's a good foot in the door for when one opens up.

Been back and forth on this, but since someone suggested it I might as well throw some cash in there. Probably singles and some fives in case I would need to hit up a vending machine somewhere.

If your mom is looking for some extra work have her let me know. giggity

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Postage

One option for the No Fly carry on items is to acquire them upon arrival. I will sometimes buy an inexpensive knife upon arrival at my destination. Perhaps pick up some pepper spray for some sort of defense. Grab all this stuff at your first stop in town after you leave the airport and before you get to the hotel. At the end of your trip stuff it all in one of those small flat rate boxes and dump in a mailbox. Cost is less than $6 and when you get home you have some supplies to stock your car, your desk, your toolbox, give to your wife/kid/sister/neighbor...

(hint - take the preaddressed box with postage already applied with you so you only have to find a mailbox)

il_570xN.423077593_2rfr.jpg

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Looking through my bag right now..... dang! You pretty much have it covered. I'm going to steal a few ideas from your list.

- Cough drops
    - small bottle of any prescription meds
    - Quarters and about $10 in ones (machines, tolls, and tips)
    - collapsible umbrella
    - hand sanitizer (I have a small bottle that clips to the bag's handle)
    - USB to car cigarette adapter (for charging phone on the road)
    - Tide pen (stain remover)
    - rubber bands (around business cards, but I have 3-4 of them)

I've got one of the little screwdrivers that look like a pen, with interchangeable bits. It has flown with me for years, and I've used it for repairs a few times.

If you are going to carry personal info on a USB drive, make sure it is encrypted.

@kittyslayer - I've actually mailed stuff to my hotel, and then mailed it back, when on an extended trip.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good ideas here.
    A couple of mine and a couple of Mercop's:

George always flies with gloves and eye covering goggles within reach. He also insists on shoes that lace and are more substantial than tennis shoes. His plan is to survive (and pull himself out of) a plane crash if at all possible.

Me, I'm planning for my bag to be separated from me or disappear.
    I want a few Franklins stuck away and a separate working $100 divided to not have to make change. Cash is king in a lot of circumstances, especially when the power is out.
    I wouldn't be caught dead near an airport without a shirt pocket light/kubaton and a cane.

Top Bottom