• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am headed off to Ohio this weekend to go to Ikea with the wife. I've done some googling and it looks like Ohio does not honor our LTCH. :(

Can anyone confirm this? I would rather not go unarmed all day if I don't have to.

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Your LTCH is no good in Ohio. Do NOT Carry.

Also, all of your mags have to be unloaded. Ohio law is that a loaded mag is a loaded gun. Stupid, but that's their law.

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for confirmation. Looks like the gun is staying home today. :(

Luckily I don't go to Ohio very often so this is rarely an issue. Though if that changes I may look into a non-resident permit to fix my woes.

How does one even go about getting non-resident permit? Do I have to go to that state for printing/paper work/etc?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    You CAN carry legally in OH

you must open carry. They have 'constitutional carry' which means open and not concealed. If you have a gun in the car, it must be unloaded (even the magazine) and not within reach IIRC.

read up here: Handgunlaw.us

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

you must open carry. They have 'constitutional carry' which means open and not concealed. If you have a gun in the car, it must be unloaded (even the magazine) and not within reach IIRC.

That is NOT Constitutional carry. That is unlicensed open carry.

Constitutional Carry is when you do not need a state issued permission slip to carry openly OR concealed. See Vermont, Arizona, Wyoming and Alaska.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin

I have looked into this a bit but never found an answer for if this is only for Ohio residents or is it good for everyone?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    How does one even go about getting non-resident permit? Do I have to go to that state for printing/paper work/etc?

As others have already stated you have 2 options.

1) Florida - Very simple. Just google Florida concealed weapons license. Print the application and instructions off the web. You will have to request that a fingerprint card be sent to you. The card will arrive within a few days. Will will need proof of training (NRA Basic Pistol, DD214, Training from local PD, etc.), finger prints taken on the card at the local PD, passport photo. All of the instructions are there so follow them carefully. Cost is $117 if memory serves. License is good for 7 years.

2) Utah - You will have to take a UT concealed carry class. There are people in Indy that offer it. Instructor stamps the application. Then you get fingerprinted and a passport photo. Cost is $51 if memory serves. License is for 5 years. Renewal is pretty cheap.

*There are some differences in recipcrocity with the licenses. I currently have a FL and even pass out the applications to students that attend the NRA classes. I sent away for my UT about a week ago.

jiggypete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Yep, no go. Even driving through on the way down to TN was a pain (even though it's only a few miles until you hit Kentucky.). I was smart on the way home and came through Lawrenceburg to avoid OH altogether.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Your LTCH is no good in Ohio. Do NOT Carry.

Also, all of your mags have to be unloaded. Ohio law is that a loaded mag is a loaded gun. Stupid, but that's their law.

Oddly, both of those are addressed in Ohio HB 495. The problem is that it passed in the spring but there's been no movement as of yet in the fall session. :xmad:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I have looked into this a bit but never found an answer for if this is only for Ohio residents or is it good for everyone?

It works for everyone. If there is no permit involved then there is no discrimination between resident and nonresident.

Just remember to unload your gun and your mags before entering a vehicle because they (retardedly) say that carry in a vehicle is concealed and therefore not allowed without a license.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    It works for everyone. If there is no permit involved then there is no discrimination between resident and nonresident.

Just remember to unload your gun and your mags before entering a vehicle because they (retardedly) say that carry in a vehicle is concealed and therefore not allowed without a license.

They must also be in the trunk of the car not accessible to the driver.

Top Bottom