• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    I will be heading down to Atlanta tomorrow afternoon to visit with family for the week and wanted to know if there is anything specific I should know about carry there! I CC and while in the car my pistol will be in the center console. I really don't plan on doing much but relaxing when I get down there so I don't see that carrying into different places (businesses/stores) being a problem. Do I need to inform an officer in KY, TN, or GA if I am pulled over that I have a firearm in the car? Any input/advice or experience is welcome! Thanks and hope everyone has a great thanksgiving :D

Oh another thought, anyone aware of any free ranges in the Northeast area of Atlanta? I will google but I'm sure out of the eleven thousand something members here, someone has to be from there!

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    You're good with an IN LTCH, but do check their state police website for possible restrictions in places that serve alcohol. You don't need to inform an LEO if pulled over in KY and TN, but my information is about a year old. A good idea is to print all applicable carry laws or if you call the state police for information, write names and dates.

KyColonel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    A couple of good summaries of state carry laws (including the duty to inform, if there is one) are available at

Concealed Firearm Permit Information By State

and

Handgunlaw.us

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to verify this information with each state's web site as well. We don't have a duty to inform here in Kentucky. Neither does Tennessee. (I live 5 miles from the state line, so I keep a decent handle on the laws in both states.) According to the law summary here, there's no duty to inform in Georgia either:

Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org

So far as free ranges go, the best one I know of NE of Atlanta is (or was) at Wilson Shoals WMA near Homer. That's not too far off of I-85, but it is a little bit of a drive (1 hour plus) from metro Atlanta. Here's what the Georgia DNR web site has to say about public shooting ranges in Georgia:

WMA Firearms Ranges | Georgia DNR - Wildlife Resources Division

Last edited:

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I know that in GA you CAN'T carry in a bar or church. You will find the folks in Ga are some of the nicest people in the US.
    You also might want to check the hometown section on ar15.com. It's full of good local info.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Awesome, really appreciate the info guys, don't have a lot of time to research this. Should have started last week :dunno: Mainly wanted to know if I needed to inform if pulled over. Hope yall have a good week! :patriot:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I know that in GA you CAN'T carry in a bar or church. You will find the folks in Ga are some of the nicest people in the US.
    You also might want to check the hometown section on ar15.com. It's full of good local info.

Just about any places of paid assembly are a no-go, too. Like movie theaters, concert venues, etc...

-J-

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Glad to hear you made it safely. I used to live in Marietta (NW of Atlanta), 1994-1996, and driving on I-75 between Chattanooga and Knoxville, TN can be some of the most dangerous driving in the US (rated). There's some times, during the day, that I-75 was shut down due to fog. Be careful through there!

Also, I never had a problem CCW'ing between IN and GA...except when I would cut through OH from Fort Wayne. Then it might have been a bit illegal...but I usually drove that section late night / early morning...so there was very little risk of needing anything.

Have a great Thanksgiving in GA!

Top Bottom