Carry Convention Center in Indianapolis?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    My husband is visiting Indianapolis now for the Fire Department Instructors Conference at the Convention Center.

We found out that you all have it a bit easier than we Ohioans, but we couldn't figure out if it is legal to carry at the convention center. In Ohio, it would not be.

Is he okay to carry there? What about honest to goodness bars? He doesn't drink anything stronger than soda pop, but sometimes the firemen end up at a bar for snacks.

Thanks!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    This is an abbreviated answer to your question, the full Indiana Code covering this can be found in the FAQ's, but in short, bars/taverns are legally allowable carry zones. Likewise, the Convention Center is not a restricted carry area if you meet all other conditions for legally carrying your firearm, but as in the bars and taverns noted above, if you are asked to leave by authorized personnel you risk a trespassing charge if you do not comply.

Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    I personally called awhile back and talked to the staff about carrying concealed in the convention center. They said they're policy did not allow it, but when I was there last there were no signs posted stating that. So like rockhopper said if they find him with it he will more than likely be asked to leave, but as far as the law goes unless he doesn't leave my thinking is they can't do anything. This is just my personal experience, hope that helped.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Not illegal, perhaps against rules & could be asked to leave if gun is discovered. I've carried there many times with no problem. Welcome to Indy!

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    The Indiana Convenion Center has no regulation preventing concealed carry. However, each trade show or other event that leases the facility for their use may forbid carrying in their rules. The FDIC (PennWell Publishing - Eric Schlett) does indeed forbid all carry anywhere within the facility. It's in the regs available to both exhibitors and attendees.

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    Thanks!

We couldn't find anything specific against it using handgunlaw.us, so I thought I'd better ask. He is helping take an engine in to the Center in the morning. Guess he'd better lock it in the hotel room since PennWell is disagreeable.

At least he'll be able to have it while going out to eat and walking around the area.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Hope he enjoys our Downtown. There's a lot of stuff going on nowadays; good restaurants, lively sections of clubs and small venue concerts, and some great local breweries.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    FWIW, Mustang, just because they say no, doesn't mean he HAS to leave it. If discovered and they truly disagree, he would be asked to either leave or remove it. After that, he must comply or risk trespassing. He could always carry it and then, if discovered, make sure he'd be allowed to come back if he disarms. Welcome to the city, even if for a brief few hours. You'll love it so much you'll want to stay. Lol

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    Thanks!

We couldn't find anything specific against it using handgunlaw.us, so I thought I'd better ask. He is helping take an engine in to the Center in the morning. Guess he'd better lock it in the hotel room since PennWell is disagreeable.

At least he'll be able to have it while going out to eat and walking around the area.

Just my opinion, but I would not lock it in my hotel room. Everybody and their brother comes and goes in hotel rooms. Not secure at all. Check with the desk and see if they have a secure/insured safe deposit box.

Welcome! Enjoy Indy! :welcome:

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If hes driving an engine down and his employer doesnt mind? Must have different rules than what my commission says. A firearm taken to any department function could get you on a hot seat.

I love the guys from Dublin Ohio pipes and drums. They is the bestest, ahem, besides me...

Side note, one of the greatest funerals I was able to play in was the Colerain Township funeral for firefighter Schirra and Broxterman. Theres a back story to it and it made me really appreciate bagpiping/drumming. Alot of departments and people I never had a chance to play with were able to pay homage to those firefighters. It was sobering to see the overpasses in Ohio with flags and folks standing holding signs. I cnt believe it was 4 years ago.

Top Bottom