• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crudolph00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    FREETOWN
    I apologize if there is already a thread on this subject, but I couldn't find it.

I had to stop at a rest area/rest stop along I-65 the other night to do my business. I was CC my Glock 23. Went in, used the restroom, left. No problems.

I related this to a friend of mine, and he stated he believed this might be illegal secondary to the fact the rest area is along a federal highway making it a federal building. Does anyone know the ruling on this. Is carrying at a rest area a problem. Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Never had a problem carrying at a rest area. I can find no mention of rest areas in the law, so we are good to go. Rest areas are NOT Federal buildings. I believe they fall under the authority of the state.

(IANAA---corresponding rigmarole inserted here)

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    As far as I understand, rest stops are NOT federal property or considered a federal building and you are fine.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    It's a good thing because rest areas are one of the places I feel the LEAST safe. Don't know why, it's just always been that way.

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    Highway right-of-way (State route, US route, or Interstate) is purchased by INDOT, designed by INDOT (or a consultant like me), and maintained by INDOT. Most of the money usually comes from the Feds (80% +/-), but it's a state facility. We've designed rest areas for the state DOT also, as they are contiguous with the highway right-of-way and are built/maintained by the state. The only federally-owned roads are probably those in Washington DC, but maybe there are others. The designation as an interstate or US route has to do with the design standards used and its connections/importance for region-wide mobility.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Highway right-of-way (State route, US route, or Interstate) is purchased by INDOT, designed by INDOT (or a consultant like me), and maintained by INDOT. Most of the money usually comes from the Feds (80% +/-), but it's a state facility. We've designed rest areas for the state DOT also, as they are contiguous with the highway right-of-way and are built/maintained by the state. The only federally-owned roads are probably those in Washington DC, but maybe there are others. The designation as an interstate or US route has to do with the design standards used and its connections/importance for region-wide mobility.
    ^^^This, the highway and rest-stop is not federal property. It may be funded by federal $$$ but not owned by them. Carry away!

Story time... I was travelling late at night/early morning and couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. I had to stop and take a short nap. I stopped at the rest-stop on I70 just west of Indy. The place was dark and sort of creepy looking. So I put the P239 in the door handle, right where it would be easy to grab if I was suddenly awakened by something not so good. Luckily nothing happened, but the faint glow of the night-sites there was very comforting.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This argument is almost identical to the "carry in banks" argument.

Both are 100% legal in Indiana, provided that it's not a FEDERAL BANK.

But being called "Union Federal" or "First Federal", or being insured by the FDIC does not a Federal bank make.

Same with the highways and interstates. Construction monies from Interstates, state highways, county highways, and dirt lanes come from all manner of governmental entities. And while yes, they do "belong" to the government, that doesn't automatically make them off limits to carry.

As we should all know by now, carry in Indiana State Parks (with a few idiotic restrictions) and now National Parks is legal. Same with State Forests, State Recreation Areas, National Forests, etc etc etc etc. That's all "government property", too. (idiotic restriction = Army Corps of Engineers properties)

-J-

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County

MadCity Hoosier knows as do I. This is correct. :D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Both are 100% legal in Indiana, provided that it's not a FEDERAL BANK. ...

If you mean Federal Reserve Banks, then we're good to go, since there are no Fed Banks in Indiana.

There are 12 Federal Reserve Districts with 1 Federal Reserve Bank in each.

Chicago, St. Louis, and Cleveland are the 3 closest I believe.

_OZ_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    In Search of the Holy Grail
    Years ago I remember there were quite a few robberies at rest stops...but they got you when you were busy :) They would kick the door in, and while your pants are down, point a gun at you and say give me your wallet......
    Ever since then I try and stay out of rest stops, late at night......

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Years ago I remember there were quite a few robberies at rest stops...but they got you when you were busy :) They would kick the door in, and while your pants are down, point a gun at you and say give me your wallet......
    Ever since then I try and stay out of rest stops, late at night......

Hammock carry when #2 :cool:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Looks liek the right answer - for Indiana. IIRC, I have seen signs on the rest stops in Ohio saying (in effect) no firearms...

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    Got some rep inbound for your hammock. I also find the top of the TP dispenser to be a good place to store it. Or, I've even hung my holster from the coat hanger on the inside of the door.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I've seen to many crazy, scary and odd things/people at rest areas to not carry ALWAYS. Without starting s debate, those are the one places I do OC.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Looks liek the right answer - for Indiana. IIRC, I have seen signs on the rest stops in Ohio saying (in effect) no firearms...

Each state is going to be different on rest room carry. Ohio has no gun signs at their rest stops, I don't know if its technically illegal or not, although I seem to recall legislation did prohibit it before the CC laws. Not sure if CCP holders are now exempted like LEOs.

Personally I CC into all rest areas when out of state, it's too easy to mix up one state exemption with another when it comes to idiotic things like this.

Top Bottom