• ...and so much more!
  • SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I am going to a concert soon and I carry as close to 100% as I can. Does anyone know if it is possible to carry inside Conseco Fieldhouse or Lucas Oil? I have only had my carry permit a year now and I haven't been either place since then. Please let me know you experiences.

Thanks.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I carry inside Lucas Oil (.380 in pocket holster) every time I attend a game. The patdown checks the side of the body, from the armpit down to past my waist; however, they've never checked my front pockets.

The Fieldhouse, from what I remember (went to a few games last year), has security with hand held metal detectors and I saw them wanding people. I did NOT carry into the Fieldhouse because of this.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not illegal, but they most definitely have a policy in place. Enforcement may be very light (quick look) to TSA-style (wands, bag searches, and pat downs) depending on the event. IC now allows private entities to use local law enforcement for policy enforcement. You can thank Irsay for that one.

If you do carry, conceal very well and be prepared to get the boot. Same goes for knives and OC spray.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Not illegal, but they most definitely have a policy in place. Enforcement may be very light (quick look) to TSA-style (wands, bag searches, and pat downs) depending on the event.

TSA-style bag searches :scared:

If you do carry, conceal very well and be prepared to get the boot.

If you are caught entering...can you just put it in the car and come back in, another entrance perhaps ?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If you are caught entering...can you just put it in the car and come back in, another entrance perhaps ?
    Depends on how tough they are on you. You might be able to leave and come back, or you might get banned from the event (they have radios and could just keep/void your ticket). I suppose you could also get detained.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I work for ESG and although I don't do gate searches myself much I can tell you that in almost all cases you will be given the option of returning to your car or simply not be allowed in the venue. As I have said before, it is not a "law" is the rule of the house. Level of search varies with each event as per various circumstances. We don't know what level of search there will be until we arrive for the event.

I am a big believer in carrying at all times but consider this when you make your choice whether to carry to the venue or not: If you do get outed by security, and you decide to go back to your car and leave your weapon there, are you comfortable leaving it in your vehicle? I have seen guys throw decent knives away in the trash cans by the gates rather than check them or return them to your car. If you decide to carry your Ed Brown 1911 and get caught and decide to throw it in the trash rather than returning to your car, have the guard on duty radio for John and I'll be right there.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I work for ESG and although I don't do gate searches myself much I can tell you that in almost all cases you will be given the option of returning to your car or simply not be allowed in the venue. As I have said before, it is not a "law" is the rule of the house. Level of search varies with each event as per various circumstances. We don't know what level of search there will be until we arrive for the event.

I am a big believer in carrying at all times but consider this when you make your choice whether to carry to the venue or not: If you do get outed by security, and you decide to go back to your car and leave your weapon there, are you comfortable leaving it in your vehicle? I have seen guys throw decent knives away in the trash cans by the gates rather than check them or return them to your car. If you decide to carry your Ed Brown 1911 and get caught and decide to throw it in the trash rather than returning to your car, have the guard on duty radio for John and I'll be right there.[/QUOTE]

+1 to John for being willing to help a brother out!!!:rockwoot::laugh:

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    Only for large events, ESG will wand you. Otherwise, like WNBA games, it's mostly visual and "lift your arms", etc.

I am going to the Rascal Flatts Concert this Saturday. Are you thinking light pat or wand? The issue is that I carry ALL THE TIME, and I honestly will feel naked without it. But, I gotta do what I gotta do in order to attend the concert.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Fishersjohn48 should be able to answer that better. My info is based on a friend that worked with ESG. What about small-of-back carry? I don't recall ESG ever touching me there or anything...

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    While I DO NOT know for sure, country music shows often get a higher level of inspection at the gates. Gate guards at Verizon almost always have wands with them and may or may not check everyone. I can't tell you what to do but as someone who carries, I choose to leave my weapon at home on the rare occasion that I go to a concert at Verizon as a patron.

amw575

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bloomington
    Anyone been to Colts Preseason game this year to know how thorough they are patting down this year? Gonna be a late game tonight, walking long distance in the dark, with young kids and naked not to appealing.

I have a tiny pocket pistol that I take to college games, etc. Wonder if I can slip it by security at Lucas Oil tonight?

Any experiences at the last home preseason game?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I went to the Maroon 5/ Train concert last Thursday at Conseco. I was carrying in my back pocket. They asked me to lift my shirt above my waiste and spin around. They never touched me. If I remember correctly Verizon Wireless security is known for doing actual pat downs. If they feel something in your pocket, they usually ask you to take it out or just ask what it is.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Anyone been to Colts Preseason game this year to know how thorough they are patting down this year? Gonna be a late game tonight, walking long distance in the dark, with young kids and naked not to appealing.

I have a tiny pocket pistol that I take to college games, etc. Wonder if I can slip it by security at Lucas Oil tonight?

Any experiences at the last home preseason game?

For the regular season games last year, I dropped my LCP in my front right pocket and it was never found by LOS security when I went thru the gates. They had me remove my hat, extend my arms out to my sides, and they patted down my my sides (from my arm pit down to my waist line) with the back of their hand. That's it.

The only time I ever remember them taking additional procedures was shortly after 9/11 when they had IMPD (IPD back then I think) officers with metal detector wands checking people as they came thru.

amw575

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bloomington
    Thanks. Guess I will wing it when I get there and see how thorough it looks like they are. Given we aren't in Oakland or San Francisco (problems they had last week) crossing fingers it will be normal.

I just carry a small caliber derringer as an emergency/backup to my sub-compact, so its nice to use in this situation as its not overtly threatening but in a pinch it is a good deterrent and easily concealed. :D Not as good as the S-C but better than a folder knife.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Question for the security guys on here. Would an empty holster act as an effective decoy? I'm thinking of an empty belt holster and carrying in a Smart Carry behind a large buckle to confuse the wand or in an ankle rig. The belt holster would add to the cover story that I left it in the car because I knew I couldn't bring it in with me and I didn't want to take time removing the holster. Do you think that that would work?

amw575

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bloomington
    Interesting idea. I am not a security guy (obviously) but I would think that an empty holster would just be a signal to security for a more thorough search. That aside, I would also worry about bystanders seeing the empty holster and/or hearing the story and following me back to the car. :(

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Question for the security guys on here. Would an empty holster act as an effective decoy? I'm thinking of an empty belt holster and carrying in a Smart Carry behind a large buckle to confuse the wand or in an ankle rig. The belt holster would add to the cover story that I left it in the car because I knew I couldn't bring it in with me and I didn't want to take time removing the holster. Do you think that that would work?

Yes, it would probably be more than sufficient. However, if you are going to go through that trouble, why use the empty holster? IF the smart carry with the belt buckle is going to get you through the wanding, why would the empty holster have any purpose. If the belt buckle works, it's gonna work regardless.

Interesting idea. I am not a security guy (obviously) but I would think that an empty holster would just be a signal to security for a more thorough search. That aside, I would also worry about bystanders seeing the empty holster and/or hearing the story and following me back to the car. :(

I KINDA agree. It would be rare if they did follow you. IF you notice someone following you, get to your car ASAP and make sure you're the one to "provide" them with "what they are looking for.

Top Bottom