• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biggdogind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Hey guys.. Im looking at getting a bolt action tactical rifle in a .308 cal.. Im looking at a savage or a remington 700.. Price cant be over 1,300$ Just wanted your guys opinion on any good bolt action with a heavy barrel you think I should look at.. Thanks Greg:)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I vote a 700 as well.But why 308? 270 Winchester is a better round in my opinion(not wanting to start a caliber thread,just giving my opinion).

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    wow... I'd go the Savage route personally. They are pretty hard to beat out of the box.

This would also allow you to get some really nice glass so that overall cost for the Rifle and accessories would be less than $1300

Last edited:

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    If you are going to spend at that level, my vote is for the Remington. More specifically, an entry level rifle offered at sniperncentral.com. You can add some personal touches and end up with a custom rifle. You might also want to look at the Tikka tactical rifle, they are supposed to be very accurate.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have not had a chance to shoot a Remington. However I highly reccomend Savage. Hands down, they are some of the most accurate rifles out of the box. Not to mention depending on the model, can be found for cheaper. Which leaves you more money for optics. Guess some think the Remington is more Tacticool. That words makes my brain hurt!

biggdogind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Thanks for the info guys.. Ya all of the ones you all talked about are the ones ive been looking at. Im going to the 1500 gun and knife show in a couple of weeks, too see what I can find there as a deal.. Im getting a .308 cal because I have a savage .243 and want something bigger.. Im wanting to be able to hit targets at 800yrds. Ya I know what your thinking, Where In indiana are you going to do that. LOL Im looking at going for some guided hunts out west.. Thanks again you all Greg

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    check out savage's web site and specifically the model 12 f/tr. for that yardage its the only way to go. their competition team is kicking but with a basically stock gun......daryll

Top Bottom