• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I am looking for different thought on which is better both for CC and accuracy here is what I am looking at...

Sig 229 in .40cal
    Beretta M9
    Springfield LW operator

Any sugestions?

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    its all personal preferance. go with which ever is most comfortable with you and which ever you like the most

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Glock 23. :)

Sorry, I've got a bad habit of doing that......

Out of your 3 choices, I'd go with a Sig P229. Why?

1. The caliber. I like .40 S&W. It has a proven track record on the street, showing itself to be very effective in a large number of police shootings. I honestly don't think that there's anything that a .45 acp can do that a .40 can't do. The .40 is a consistent expander, and usually penetrates very well. Since the .40 is the overwhelming choice of LE agencies across the US, ammo availability will not be a problem.

A lot of R&D has gone into the .40, and it's hard to find a bad round for self defense. If you believe in light and fast, you can go with a 135 grain load at about 1375 fps/567 ft. lbs. out of a 4 inch barrel. (Double tap ammo) That is a smoking hot round, in .357 magnum territory, only with a wider bullet and bigger hollowpoint. If any round is going to expand in tissue, it's this one!

If you like slower and heavier bullets, you can go with another good Double Tap load, the 200 grain JHP at 1050 fps/490 ft. lbs. out of a 4 inch barrel. Or, all of the ammo manufacturers make the standard 180 grain load, which is the equivalent in sectional density to the standard 230 grain .45 acp load.

2. Power to weight ratio. I always look at this factor, because I carry a gun all the time, everywhere. As much as I love the heft of a good all-steel revolver or semiauto, they would get old rather quickly if I had to carry them day in and day out. The P229 is heavier than the typical polymer pistol, but it's not too bad, especially when you consider the capacity and power of the rounds. The LW operator would probably be lighter and slimmer, but at a reduced capacity. The M9 is just too big for what it is, a 15+1 9mm. If the bigwigs who decide on handguns for the military had any sense, they'd choose the Glock 19 for their 15+1 9mm. It's not like our troops don't have enough weight to carry around without lugging around the M9 hogleg. And for concealed carry? Forget it. Either the LW Operator or P229 would be a FAR better choice than an M9.

3. Accuracy. If the Operator has the P229 beat for accuracy, it can't be by much, especially at normal pistol fighting distances. Sigs are famous for their accuracy. The M9 is an accurate pistol, too, so this may be a "wash" category. Any one of the 3 will be plenty accurate for pistol combat. Match grade accuracy is not necessary for CCW.

4. Action. This one is a personal preference. You don't mention what kind of P229 you are considering, but I'd go with the DAK model. It has a consistent, smooth trigger pull with a good reset, shot after shot. No decockers or safeties to worry about, just point and shoot. I don't care for decocker models, with their long first trigger pull and subsequent light single action pull. So again, that leaves out the M9. Plus, one may forget to decock after the SEVERE stress of a gunfight for your life. No need to complicate it any further by adding extra steps to make your gun safe.

Ah, I'm gonna get beat down for this one...but I just don't care for the cocked and locked 1911 for CCW. I don't like grip safeties, I think they are pointless. I don't like having to disengage a safety before I engage a threat. I don't like the low capacity. I don't like the hammer cocked all of the time. I KNOW it's safe if handled properly, just like any pistol. I just don't like it. And yes, I know that someone's grandpa single handedly defeated the Japanese in WWII carrying only a 1911 and a bible...but I think there are much better modern designs for CCW. I own an old WWI frame Colt 1911, and I've shot a good many of them. They are SWEET shooters, and feel good in the hand. But I'll take something else for everyday CCW.

5. Reliability. Any manufacturer can put out a dud. (Even my beloved Glocks) But by and larger, pistols earn reputations based on the experience of thousands of shooters. Sigs are reliable and proven. The M9 had some early issues, but now enjoy a good reliability reputation. The Operator? Well, I don't know. That's the thing about 1911's (and another reason I carry a Glock or something else, rather than a 1911). The original JMB designed 1911 had fairly loose tolerances, and was designed to employ a 5 inch barrel, shooting 230 grain ball ammo, with a 7 round magazine. Some companies have made reliable configurations of 1911s that deviate from this standard, and some companies (including high-end maker Kimber) have failed. It's been my experience in talking to 1911 shooters that 1911 reliability is hit or miss. Some are extremely reliable. Some are not. Most are picky about magazines. Some don't like hollowpoints. If you get a good one, you are well armed. Just make sure you get a good one.

Well, enough rambling from me.....good luck in your choice!

My :twocents:. :)

What a great summary! I would agree about the Sig P229 and the .40.

If I could offer a suggestion it would be to consider the Sig 250 or even a used (or new) SigPro2022. I own a 2022 and it is very similar to the 229 as far as ergonomics, but it weighs less because of its polymer frame. Great shooter.

But, you really couldn't go wrong with the 229.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Man thats a tuff one.... I love the way a 1911 feels and love the grip safty... The sig is famous for its durrabillity handles verry well... and Well the beretta is just one sweet pistol. I dont think I could choose Unless in a pinch. Then I would go beretta = more ammo and great accuracy. First thing that came to my mind.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I agree with Marc but here is my two cents.

The Beretta M9 is a very large pistol and yes you could CC it but I would bet you might not find that comfortable after awhile.

I own a Kimber CDP Pro. I picked a Sig 229 that would be close and found the Kimber weighs about 2 oz less than the Sig and the width is 1.28 as opposed to the 1.5, which makes a difference if you carry IWB which I do. The Kimber is 7.7 length by 5.25 height and the Sig SAS is 7.1 by 5.4. So all-in-all, the dimensions are close.

I personally wouldn't want the rail if I were going to carry and the SAS does not have one and is rounded for CC.

The main difference is the round count. The Kimber advertises 7 in the mag, I use a Wilson Combat 8 round so that gives me 9 with one in the chamber. The Sig .40 carries 12 in the mag for 13 with one in the chamber.

So IMHO, the M9 is a large pistol to CC, A 4" 1911 with aluminum frame is slimmer and about the same weight as the Sig, but the Sig carries more rounds. I do not own any .40's only because I just don't own any (yet) so I cannot say anything about them other than I have read they may kick more than the .45. Personally I don't think the extra .22 inch would give me any grief. So hopefully you get the chance to shoot both before you buy.

Just read Space Turtle and have to say that I also own a Beretta 92FS and there is just something sexy about it. Like Turtle says, it is one sweet pistol, but, if you want something that has a large round count, look at the Bersa Thunder 9mm High Cap. It will have some of the same size disadvantages of the Beretta but holds 17 in the mag as opposed to the Beretta's 15 and it also shoots very accurately. Don't let the low price fool you, it is a great pistol and I challenge you to find complaints about it on the net.

I carry the Kimber because it carries well. The only thing I would change would be going for a shorter grip since the longer grip does tend to knock against things, like getting in a small car. I like the full size grip though because I have large hands.

P.S. Metro 40, my Kimber is extremely reliable which is one of the reasons I carry it. I certainly won't fault you for being a fan of Glock. It is probably the most reliable pistol for every environment and I like it a lot. There is also something to be said for the DA on at least the first pull or all like the DAK. If you are carrying a 1911 and have the safety off, it would be easier to make the mistake of getting your finger on the trigger in a stressful situation. If you are carrying a 3.5, 4 pound trigger, that could get you in trouble. No matter how much you may practice, surprise works against you. Even with a 6 lb trigger, the SA pull is much shorter than the DA.

Last edited:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I'll vote for the 1911. Like BK, you can have it your way. If you don't like something, it's relatively easy to swap it out. If you have to, you can detail strip it with its own parts.

The next vote would be for the Sig. Still able to be customized to an extent.

The Beretta is last on my list as well. I carried a Taurus clone for around 10 years and I love it. However, it's big for the caliber and though mine runs fine now, it did have teething issues, including a rough chamber which precluded positive ejection of some ammo - mainly Winchester white box. I do have a fondness for the design as mine saved me from grave bodily injury or death.

I only switched to the 1911 style after 20,000 or so rounds and finding that I carried it cocked'n'locked more often than not.

Josh <><

IN_Revol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    The Greater West Laf
    i personally would go with the 1911...

Made by Sig!

DSC_1703.jpg

Very nicely built, and 100% reliable.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    My vote from those choices would be the 1911. I know I shoot them well and would be comfortable with the low round count. I only have to fight to my rifle anyway.

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    Sig 229 elite

The sig is a great pistol. Keep your eyes open at gun shows as there are plenty out there used ( as are many guns) with little or no wear. The 229, speaking from experience, is unbelievably accurate. I have had a 229 sas and found it rather large for conceal carry and sold it, very accurate. 1911's have a good feel because the grip is thin and they are also accurate as hell, plus the single action trigger is awesome. I still am not crazy about the safety on my 1911. The sig p229 elite is sa/da with no safety so if the stuff hits the fan you don't have to worry about releasing the safety, has a manual decocker and has the short response trigger which is very similar the the 1911 trigger. Plus the 229 can carry 12-13 rounds I believe. I am looking for an elite myself but for out of the waistband carry. For inside the belt go with the glock 27 with some scherer or pierce extensions on the magazine. Just my two cents.....

Top Bottom