Cancel Culture, Popes, Castration & ISIS = SAME!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It occurred to me the other day that our current cancel culture of removing (if not destroying) statues, cancelling books such as Dr. Seuss, and the removal of artwork because some don't like how it depicts certain groups is about the same as the Popes chopping off penises from statues.

Today, we look back in horror at the forever damaged statuary that had penises removed due to certain Popes not liking them. Some of this destruction occurred by secular folks to Egyptian artwork that 19th century archeologists brought back.

We in the west who were paying a modicum of attention groaned and bemoaned the vast destruction of ancient buildings, artwork, and other historical treasures by ISIS because it didn't conform to their interpretation of Islam.

Today our people cry and shake our heads at the great Nazi book burning pyres that were common in Germany in the 1930s. Great works of literature destroyed because it crossed some line of Nazi ideology.

Then we look at ourselves - today - now... We have become the religious and intolerant fanatics of yesteryear. I am quite certain that in the not too distant past someone was worried and the response was, "It can't happen here." Well, here it is.

I bring all of these examples up to help us verbally combat those with whom we may debate in public exactly who they are wanting to be like! When we find ourselves arguing with someone who wants to tear down a statue, stop printing a book, or cover up some art ask them, "So... when did you decide ISIS/Nazi's/Intolerant Popes were people YOU wanted to emulate? Because that is exactly what they are doing!

I deplore the intentional burning of the Library of Athens by intolerant Christians many centuries ago, yet I see them today, not Christians, but nearsighted myopic buffoons who, while trying to cloak themselves in righteous indignation are in reality mimicking ISIS, Nazi book burners, and Popes. Oh yeah, and we can throw in the junior Senator from Wisconsin Joe McCarthy too. After all, his witch hunts were not dissimilar from the ruination of people today by the woke minded.

We need to remember these similarities because when we share them in public discussions we will hopefully get those who are on the fence to see the horror and damage done to our culture and to future generations, because the Woke of today are the cultural rapists of yesteryear.

Regards,

Doug

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Today our people cry and shake our heads at the great Nazi book burning pyres that were common in Germany in the 1930s. Great works of literature destroyed because it crossed some line of Nazi ideology.

They were burning the books that would have lead to this culture being mainstream in 1940s Germany. Delaying the horrors for 70 years.

It'd do people well to do some historical digging through channels that don't spew leftist garbage. This "modern" trend is anything but modern, in fact it's the whole reason the nazi party gained public support and rose to power, people were sick and tired of leftist progressives.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    This is a tactic used by leftists and anarchists to tear down anyone who opposes their politics or ideology. Their goal is to weaken and destroy our society by denying us our history, our culture, and ultimately our identity. We have to push back on them, mock them, and beat them down at every opportunity.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I do not like cancel culture but is it not used here often? For example Dicks sporting Goods is not well liked here so you do not buy anything from there. Because your views do not meet theirs you in turn "cancel" them. The Dr. Seuss thing was a financial decision made by his estate. They were not forced to do anything, they chose to remove the books because they felt like they would benefit financially from removing them. Amazon is another recent one here that people are against and speak out about. Is that not cancel culture?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    When I read the thread title I was REALLY wondering where this thread was going. Great post Doug.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    "So... when did you decide ISIS/Nazi's/Intolerant Popes were people YOU wanted to emulate? Because that is exactly what they are doing!

Anyone posing that question to today's woke generation would most likely be met with a dazed and confused expression. They are ignorant of our history and therefore have no reference point of comparison to their own behavior.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I do not like cancel culture but is it not used here often? For example Dicks sporting Goods is not well liked here so you do not buy anything from there. Because your views do not meet theirs you in turn "cancel" them. The Dr. Seuss thing was a financial decision made by his estate. They were not forced to do anything, they chose to remove the books because they felt like they would benefit financially from removing them. Amazon is another recent one here that people are against and speak out about. Is that not cancel culture?
    Your statement is seriously flawed. Most of us do not patronize Dick's. We do NOT act to prevent others from doing so.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Your statement is seriously flawed. Most of us do not patronize Dick's. We do NOT act to prevent others from doing so.
    This is the important distinction. We may not support Dick’s due to their views and lack of 2A support, but we don’t keep others from doing so OR intentionally target their business with a dubious campaign to influence others to boycott them. Nor do we go out of our way to research the company or it’s employees, target their social media, dox them or otherwise harass the company or it’s people.

Free market capitalism - buy from a company you like, don’t patronize one you don’t.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    No, a guy pontificating by having penises removed from statues has little to do with our present day political revolutionaries stomping out cultural resistance to their dictatorship... Except, there is a curious connection in that today both the Roman church and the revolutionaries are operating to bring about what Wells described in his 1901 book "Anticipations", his later book "The New World Order" and in this minor tome I obtained during a business trip to the wide spot in a Wyoming highway
    01.jpg

And to borrow from the original post, we need to remember these similarities because when we share them in public discussions we will hopefully get those who are in false paradigms to see the horror and damage done to them, our culture and to future generations by the indoctrination they unwittingly suffered in scurrilous educations.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    And to borrow from the original post, we need to remember these similarities because when we share them in public discussions we will hopefully get those who are in false paradigms to see the horror and damage done to them, our culture and to future generations by the indoctrination they unwittingly suffered in scurrilous educations.
    While I agree in principle I have come to believe that sheep (2 legged ones) are sheep because they are psychologically incapable of dealing with the reality they face. Present them with compelling evidence of a dystopian future and they are going to double down on sheeping.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    People have been burning books since ancient times for various reasons, it's usually related to the current leadership staying in charge by getting rid of info they don't like.

Even the Bible was purged of the Apocrypha to bring it into line with church leadership at the time.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I dont think it is at all. Dick's doesnt get talked about as much now, its no longer the flavor of the week. Now it's amazon, netflix ( i think), disney. They're commonly talked about, and people boast about unsubscribing as if its a merit badge. You personally may not be malicious in your intent but the threads that are started about them are trying to get the word out so people stop shopping or using their services and financially hurt them. Theres just not enough muscle to get DSG to change how they operate though.

You didnt give an example so lets take the Dr. Seuss scenario. You cant force a private company to make property they own. Who was calling for them to get rid of the books? I havent heard or seen anything about them since grade school, then they stopped printing a few books, made a statement and all of a sudden they are being talked about in the news. They got exactly what they wanted, to be in the media again. Nobody cancelled them. They made that decision.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I dont think it is at all. Dick's doesnt get talked about as much now, its no longer the flavor of the week. Now it's amazon, netflix ( i think), disney. They're commonly talked about, and people boast about unsubscribing as if its a merit badge. You personally may not be malicious in your intent but the threads that are started about them are trying to get the word out so people stop shopping or using their services and financially hurt them. Theres just not enough muscle to get DSG to change how they operate though.

You didnt give an example so lets take the Dr. Seuss scenario. You cant force a private company to make property they own. Who was calling for them to get rid of the books? I havent heard or seen anything about them since grade school, then they stopped printing a few books, made a statement and all of a sudden they are being talked about in the news. They got exactly what they wanted, to be in the media again. Nobody cancelled them. They made that decision.
    I don't buy the argument that the Dr. Seuss situation isn't the same thing just because they did it voluntarily. They saw the cultural handwriting on the wall and made a pre-emptive decision to remove a few suspect books from their portfolio. This was done in the hopes that it would appease a woke mob and prevent the total destruction of their business. In the absence of woke culture, this never would have happened. I'm not convinced that they are out of the woods yet. I have read several reports of children's reading programs not cancelling, but de-emphasizing Dr. Seuss to avoid the risk of being targeted. It doesn't end here.

Self cancellation of American culture is the dream outcome for the Left.

Top Bottom