Canadian Example: NEVER register your guns!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Here's a nice little reminder out of Canada on why you never ever register a firearm. The police and politicians know it's easier to confiscate guns from otherwise law abiding citizens than to try and take them away from real criminals. If they make the registration easy enough and then change the rules later to make it more difficult then they have a huge existing database of guns they can seize.

I have a big special **** you for the Toronto police. Of course nothing good ever comes out of Toronto anyways.

Police follow paper trail to 400 unregistered guns - Posted Toronto

Police follow paper trail to 400 unregistered guns
    Posted: September 22, 2009, 8:49 PM by Rob Roberts

By Matthew Coutts, National Post
    Sorting dusty files and scrolling through outdated databases, Toronto police have tracked down 400 unregistered guns they say could have fallen into the hands of criminals.

Project Safe City, launched in March, takes aim at gun owners who have let their registration lapse. By following old fashioned paper trails and knocking on doors, police are tracking down anyone who has previously owned a registered firearm.

By combing through gun registries, dating back to well before the current registry system was put in place in 1995, officers compiled a list of 17,000 possible cases in which someone may be in possession of a weapon that’s registration has expired.

“I can guarantee you here today there are 400 guns that won’t be crime guns,” said Superintendent Greg Getty, from Organized Crime Enforcement.

Insp. Getty said Project Safe City has not diverted resources from other projects, including those focused on keeping guns from crossing at the border.

He said this project was focused on cutting down the number of weapons that could be stolen from Canadians and used in a crime. He said 30 per cent of “crime guns” are domestic, many stolen by criminals.

“At some point all of these firearms have been legally registered,” he said. “As the result of confusion, as the result of registration revocation, as a result of license expiration, the person or persons have become in illegal possession of these firearms.”

Supt. Getty said that police have followed up on 5,000 leads, knocking on the doors of citizens who may have an old handgun stashed in the basement of stored forgotten in a closet. He estimated that as many as 4,000 more unregistered weapons could still be in the city.

He said police did not lay any charges, although a criminal investigation could have been launched if someone had failed to comply.

When contact by police, those in possession of an unregistered firearm had the option to either surrender it for destruction or turn it over until its paperwork had been updated.

There are currently 2.3 million firearms legally registered in the province of Ontario. Police suggest that those who have let registrations lapse are also more likely to be less vigilant in keeping them secure.

In the 259 shooting incidents in Toronto so far this year, 135 people have been injured and 23 people have died from their injuries.

“I think we’ve created a safer situation. This is very much an anti-violence measure. This is very much intended to prevent crime and make our city safer,” Chief Bill Blair said today.

Chief Blair said while the number of injuries has reduced slightly from recent years, the prevalence of shooting is much higher.

“When you have 259 occurrences where some fool has discharged a firearm inside the city of Toronto, every one of those was a potential tragedy.”

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Using this as an example, if you have ever bought a gun from a FFL in your entire life, you are probably screwed. If they find one time that you had a gun they will be coming around demanding you forfeit them under penalty of law.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Using this as an example, if you have ever bought a gun from a FFL in your entire life, you are probably screwed. If they find one time that you had a gun they will be coming around demanding you forfeit them under penalty of law.

I lost mine in a canoeing accident.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I lost mine in a canoeing accident.

I know that everyone jokes around about using this, but I think a lot of people would chicken out. If something like this ever comes along we will be facing amnesty if you turn them all in otherwise facing substantial prison time (maybe asset seizure) if you don't. How many people are actually going to risk all that. How many spouses will be willing to risk all that.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    “I think we’ve created a safer situation. This is very much an anti-violence measure. This is very much intended to prevent crime and make our city safer,” Chief Bill Blair said today.

Chief Blair said while the number of injuries has reduced slightly from recent years, the prevalence of shooting is much higher.
    What?
    So, It's not working?
    Just great.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Toronto police have tracked down 400 unregistered guns they say could have fallen into the hands of criminals.

So.... what the hell does that mean? I have a car, it could easily be stolen and used in a hit and run accident? Don't even get me started on my kitchen knives!!!

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I know that everyone jokes around about using this, but I think a lot of people would chicken out. If something like this ever comes along we will be facing amnesty if you turn them all in otherwise facing substantial prison time (maybe asset seizure) if you don't. How many people are actually going to risk all that. How many spouses will be willing to risk all that.

How many people will choose to use them instead of living under the tyrannical rule of government ?

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Many years ago an Indianapolis City Councilman said. If I vote to let them come and take rights away from you during the day, they will just come and take rights away from me during the night. This was on a gun registration bill. The Councilman was "anti-gun" but a very wise man. He knew. We should also know. We can learn from Canada, England and Australia. It can happen here.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    We should also know. We can learn from Canada, England and Australia. It can happen here.

I have a hard time believing that the gov could do that here and get away with it .

We are and have been a nation of warriors from the start . Even though we've softened in many ways there are too many gun owners that IMO , wouldn't just go along with it .

No doubt the gov tries to erode the amendment with legislative measures , but I can't see an outright ban and confiscation being feasible .

PhantomJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I think he would have been more accurate saying "I can guarantee that in the event of a crime involving a gun, there are 400 people in the city who definitely won't be defending themselves"

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    lol the quotes in that article are laughable. "“I can guarantee you here today there are 400 guns that won’t be crime guns" Wow.

I think he would have been more accurate saying "I can guarantee that in the event of a crime involving a gun, there are 400 people in the city who definitely won't be defending themselves"

That's what I was thinking.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    No doubt the gov tries to erode the amendment with legislative measures , but I can't see an outright ban and confiscation being feasible tomorrow. Another 50 years of the erosion of 2A rights, public school brainwashing and biased news programs and it could be quite a different story.
    FIFY

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Reading between the lines,
    Are these poor slobs that tried to follow the law and register their guns only to be bitten by it later when they forgot to renew or something stupid like that?

On a similar note, I can't wait for Dec 9th when I can apply for my Lifetime LTCH.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom