• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I am looking at getting a new wheel gun, and the one im looking is blued but its in pretty bad shape and I would probably have it re-blued. Since I prefer stainless or a satin finish can you take a once blued gun and make it that beautiful shiny silver?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You can't make carbon steel stainless steel but you could have it hard chromed and it would look like stainless steel. You could also have it cerakoted in any color/look that you wanted.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    How much would having it chromed run? Otherwise I will just find someone around Indy to re-blue it if i buy it. Dont know that I would like to cerakote a revolver. I am kinda a purist with wheel guns and think they need to be blue or stainless for the most part.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I don't know of anybody that is doing any bluing around Indy right now. Others might know somebody that does. There are a couple places on line that do hard chrome. Google is your friend for that and the bluing.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I am looking at getting a new wheel gun, and the one im looking is blued but its in pretty bad shape and I would probably have it re-blued. Since I prefer stainless or a satin finish can you take a once blued gun and make it that beautiful shiny silver?

Remove the bluing and leave it in the "white".

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Well I may go check out the gun tonight. See how bad it is if I even want the gun, and if I would even bother. Its going to be my hiking gun so I am not really all that worried about looks, though everyone likes their gun to look pretty.

Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    Vans cold blue is amazing. I picked some up at Knob Creek and did a Colt Python I had laying around that was in rough shape. It does a quality job like it claims and it was $20. It appears to be perfectly matched to the deep blue that Colt does. Looking at it I cannot tell the parts that have been reblued. Other options you might consider would be parkerizing. You could get it nickel plated. I don't know the cost. When we had U.S. parts made, S&W did our nickel plating and it was stupid cheap. What kind of wheel gun is it and do they offer it in stainless?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Vans cold blue is amazing. I picked some up at Knob Creek and did a Colt Python I had laying around that was in rough shape. It does a quality job like it claims and it was $20. It appears to be perfectly matched to the deep blue that Colt does. Looking at it I cannot tell the parts that have been reblued.

Hmmm, I've got a Detective Special that's got about 30 years of holster wear I've been contemplating re-bluing. I'm really worried about jacking up the look of it. I'd rather have holster wear than screw it up and have it look half a$$ed. How many coats did it take until you were satisfied?

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy

Just get it hard chromed.

Top Bottom