• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I don't like safeties on my carry guns and I want to get a 1911. Are there any parts that can replace the safety and keep it off?

I am sure that the thumb safety can be deactivated . I am also sure that this would be a BAD idea.
    The 1911 is designed to be carried cocked and locked. This would not be possible with the thumb safety removed.
    In my humble opinion a 1911 without a grip safety would need to be carried without a round in the chamber ,hammer down. So what you have then is a club that has the potential to be a firearm in 4 seconds or so . to each his own but 4 seconds is a long time.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    It's unsafe and irresponsible. Not to mention changing the design of a 1911 is a blasphemous heresy. :D

Plus, all guns need a safety.

U.S. Patriot said:
    I too believe there are no 1911's that do not have a thumb safety. As far as I know there is no way around it. Unless you can remove the thumb safety. I do not think a honest gunsmith would do such a thing. I'm with you though on not liking manual safeties. Practice or not to me it's one more procedure, to me at least is useless. As long as you keep your finger outside the trigger guard, and use a good holster. I would feel safe carrying a 1911 with the safety off. What's the standard trigger pull?

Pull weight can be between three and five pounds. More importantly the trigger travel on a 1911 is very short making it easier to snag fire.

By the way, the grip safety on your XD is a "manual" safety.

U.S. Patriot said:
    I know my Xd is just over 5 lbs. If I remember correctly. Trigger safety or not. If you snag the trigger with enough force it's going to go bang. So is it really a safety? To me not really. Unless you snag the very top portion of the trigger.

I like the analogy of putting the brake pedal on top of the gas pedal. Trigger safeties serve absolutely no purpose (other then making the trigger feel weird.) I would have removed the trigger safety from my XD a long time ago if I wasn't afraid the slot that would be left would be uncomfortable. I may still try to find a replacement trigger, try it and see how it feels.

You're right, though. If something actually gets inside the trigger guard enough to actually snag the trigger the trigger "safety" won't help. There have been enough instances of things like pull cords on jackets snagging the trigger of trigger safety equipped guns to convince me they do no good.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Know why JMB's 1911 didn't have a need for a thumb safety?

'Cuz if he carried it, he carried it with the hammer down. Probably on an empty chamber.
    It didn't need a thumb safety because it was originaly designed for the military and hammer down carry. It was the US Calvary that requested a safety of some sort be incorporated into the weapon system so that our mounted troopers would not have to let go of the reins to place the M1910 (M1911 w/the safety) into a safe condition, Colt designers came up with the thumb safety. The C&L option was intended to be used only until the trooper was dismounted and could safely place the weapon in Condition 3 carry as called for by the military.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Colt made a Double Eagle IIRC. IT had a fulcrum style trigger but I don't recall if it had a thumb safety or not. But if it does that would be a prime candidate for bobbing the safety lever or welding it in the off safe position for your purpose. GOODLUCK

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    No thumb safety on the Double Eagle.

colt_de1.jpg

Last edited:

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra II, I would never dream of carrying a 1911 without the hammer safety.

Ditto!

It is entertaining when someone knows enough about guns to notice my Warthog is cocked but doesn't know enough about 1911s to know the thumb safety is on and the grip safety is engaged. heh

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The only option is to carry the gun Israeli-style - full mag, empty chamber, hammer down. Then do what you want.

If you want to carry a loaded and chambered 1911, learn how to use the safeties like any other reasonable person has or would.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    There is ONE handgun, that has NO safety, a REVOLVER !!!!!

Actually, there are revolvers with safeties. And there are, or at least were, aftermarket safeties available for some revolvers.

Isn't that useful information to have? :D

Top Bottom