• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I would define hoarding as keeping or buying stuff that you don't need now and are not likely to need later. If you save empty peanut butter jars or can't throw away cardboard papertowel tubes and have no idea why you might want to get checked out.

Ammo by this definition cannot be hoarded but can be stockpiled.

What's wrong with saving empty peanut butter jars?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I invest some of my money in ammo when I consider it a good value. Whether I sell, shoot, or give the ammo later will be decided down the road.

I have realized an excellent return on my investment so far. I expect to continue succeeding with my ammo investment.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Well after reading thru all these posts, I guess my question would be since I have 300 30RD AR mags, about 100K loose rounds of 5.56 almost a half million rounds of .22 rimfire 10K of .40 .357 .380 9mm about a grand of .243 and .44mag Am I hoarder?

Gunner

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    After reading posts on this forum, I can only imagine what it would be like for preppers during a severe food shortage.

Say you are one of the wise people who have been slowly and steadily buying a little extra here and there, and very carefully re-packaging it for long-term storage. Spending your extra money and investing considerable time and forethought into building up an adequate amount of food and supplies to get you and your family through tough times, while others are spending their money and time on less thoughtful things.

Then, there is a severe food shortage and many are going hungry all around you. You would very possibly be looked at as a "hoarder" of food, and could be thought of as despicable if you don't share all that you have with those frivolous people who went to Disneyland while you stayed home and prepped.
    ant_and_the_grasshopper_page.jpg

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Hoarding - verb; An activity performed by someone who is smarter and more proactive than you are, resulting in them having an adequate amount of some kind of stuff that you really wish you had. See also Jealousy, and Frivolous Inattention.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Hoarding - noun; An activity performed by someone who is smarter and more proactive than you are, resulting in them having an adequate amount of some kind of stuff that you really wish you had. See also Jealousy, and Frivolous Inattention.

FIFY

Or someone who doesn't have a family or a 9-5 like you do, can hit all the local stores while you're on your way to work, get on the 'special list' with the warehouse guys and thinks he will corner the coming (he hopes) black market in ammo. Kind of like Milo in Catch-22.

1st Lt. Milo Minderbinder: We're gonna come out of this war rich! Yossarian: You're gonna come out rich. We're gonna come out dead.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Hoard is a noun. The act of accumulating a bunch of something, ie hoarding is actually a verb.

Actually "hoarding" is a gerund, which is a verb form that functions as a noun. As in: 'Hoarding is fun!'

"Hoard" is either a noun or a verb. But enough of that.

Hoarding per se might be a mental disorder.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/28/health/understanding-hoarding.html?_r=0

Some 50 percent of hoarders, however, suffer from major depression.
    I wonder if some of these ammo hoards will be dug up some day by archaeologists?:dunno:

Top Bottom