• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wethepeople

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Shelby County
    What in your opinion is the definition of hoarding as it relates to ammo? Is it 1,000 rounds? Is it 3,000 rounds? I don't consider myself one but would like to hear some opinions. My opinion is hoarding is having 5K to 10K rounds on hand and your not a LGS

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    per Websters.

hoard

Use Hoard in a sentence
    hoard

[hawrd, hohrd] Show IPA
    noun 1. a supply or accumulation that is hidden or carefully guarded for preservation, future use, etc.: a vast hoard of silver.

verb (used with object) 2. to accumulate for preservation, future use, etc., in a hidden or carefully guarded place: to hoard food during a shortage.

verb (used without object) 3. to accumulate money, food, or the like, in a hidden or carefully guarded place for preservation, future use, etc.

Origin:
    before 900; Middle English hord ( e ), Old English hord; cognate with Old Norse hodd, Old High German hort, Gothic huzd treasure; see hide1 , hide2
    Hoard | Define Hoard at Dictionary.com

wethepeople

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Shelby County
    That's good. I knew the wife was a lunatic for saying I had too much. To her your overstocked @500 rounds. Especially when a couple of hours at the range burns through s couple of hundred or more

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Hording
    1) when someone else has crap you wanted but was too lazy to stock up when it was readily available.

2) When someone refuses to sell you the crap you wanted at per panic prices.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    MY opinion is that if you ONLY have 5-10k rounds on hand you're a misguided noob.

Hoarding in the pejorative sense is buying something you have no use for and don't intend to use.

I know people who shoot 5k rounds a month, and I certainly shoot 5k rounds a year.

You should keep enough ammo on hand to give you 2-3 years of your normal shooting. How much that is depends entirely on the individual. That will get you through any of the historic shortages. That's not hoarding, that's just maintaining a rotating stock.

I personally feel anyone with less than 10k rounds on hand to be woefully underprepared, but that's just my opinion ;)

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    what I found funny was the people who thought I was nuts for having thousands of rnds of ammo before the shortages . then the same people were pissed that i wouldn't sell them any during the shortage . they accused me of hoarding .No one could understand why I wouldn't help them out . I haven't bought more than a couple hundred rnds of any ammo since last year . Now these same people who would never given a thought about storing a few extra rounds have bought thousands . not shooting anything , just saving them up just in case .

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I would define hoarding as keeping or buying stuff that you don't need now and are not likely to need later. If you save empty peanut butter jars or can't throw away cardboard papertowel tubes and have no idea why you might want to get checked out.

Ammo by this definition cannot be hoarded but can be stockpiled.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    One man's hoard is another man's reasonable supply... It's very subjective.

But I have an friend who has 20K+ rounds of 5.56 ammo. He doesn't even own a weapon that chambers 5.56. Ok, that's hoarding. But he's crying now. He paid top-$ for his hoard and now he's under water on it by a considerable margin.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    One man's hoard is another man's reasonable supply... It's very subjective.

But I have an friend who has 20K+ rounds of 5.56 ammo. He doesn't even own a weapon that chambers 5.56. Ok, that's hoarding. But he's crying now. He paid top-$ for his hoard and now he's under water on it by a considerable margin.

Love it! Hope he chokes on it!

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    MY opinion is that if you ONLY have 5-10k rounds on hand you're a misguided noob.

Hoarding in the pejorative sense is buying something you have no use for and don't intend to use.

I know people who shoot 5k rounds a month, and I certainly shoot 5k rounds a year.

You should keep enough ammo on hand to give you 2-3 years of your normal shooting. How much that is depends entirely on the individual. That will get you through any of the historic shortages. That's not hoarding, that's just maintaining a rotating stock.

I personally feel anyone with less than 10k rounds on hand to be woefully underprepared, but that's just my opinion ;)

But wouldn't the amount of ammo a person has on hand depend on how many weapons they own? I can see someone with 50 or 75 or more guns keeping MANY thousands of rounds on hand.

I have only seven, five rifles (two the same caliber) and two pistols (both the same caliber. At my last inventory, I had just over 5500 rounds on hand.

If I am lucky, I get to the range only once, maybe twice a month. Right now, all I am shooting are my two Mosins. The ammo for these is at most $.25 a round. The M-1A and the AR-15, whose ammo cost much more right now, stay at home till the prices drop some more.

And, now that I have two Mosins, I plan on getting another SPAM can soon to back up what I have on hand.

By the way, yes, I am somewhat a "n00b", in that I bought my first gun in January 2012. Limited income and limited storage space means limited ammo supply. Cain't be hepped, ya' know?

Top Bottom