Can you carry when a school is not a school?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    This summer there is a conference on campus of a private boarding school. Does the law allow carry on school grounds when school is not in session and when it is used for another purpose?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I'm sure someone will be along to explain it in detail, but Indiana does not distinguish between a school that is in session and one that is not. A SCHOOL IS ALWAYS A SCHOOL. (yep, even in the summer time)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Huntington has several old schools being turned into retirement centers. The school corp sold them, so I believe it would ne ok to carry while visiting family there as it's no longer accredited or ever in session as a school, but IANAL.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster
    I'm sure someone will be along to explain it in detail, but Indiana does not distinguish between a school that is in session and one that is not. A SCHOOL IS ALWAYS A SCHOOL. (yep, even in the summer time)

I agree. A quick look at the "school" definitions in the IC:

IC 20-18-2-4
    "Elementary school"
    Sec. 4. "Elementary school" means any combination of kindergarten and grades 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8.
    As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.2.

IC 20-18-2-7
    "High school"
    Sec. 7. "High school" means any combination of grades 9, 10, 11, or 12.

Nothing about if they are in session, but what their "purpose" is, I suppose.

And the actual IC about guns on school property:

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

EDIT:

I noticed something interesting. Not to hijack the thread or anything, but one of the exemptions state this:
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.

So it may be possible to get "authorization" from the school? It seems you would have to be acting as a security guard or participating in the school "function". Interesting thought though. I am sure most, if not all, schools would not authorize you however...

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This summer there is a conference on campus of a private boarding school. Does the law allow carry on school grounds when school is not in session and when it is used for another purpose?

In this particular instance, it'll be a no-go because a "school is never not a school"....except for when it's not* :n00b:

Building sales = a school that's no longer a school...unless, of course, it's bought by another school system.

Fun laws, huh?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Hrm, this makes me wonder if a "private boarding school" falls under private property laws or public school laws. Just food for thought.

There are no "public school laws." A school is a school if it falls under the definition of a "school" in the Indiana Code whether it is public or private.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    There are no "public school laws." A school is a school if it falls under the definition of a "school" in the Indiana Code whether it is public or private.

+1 and as stated before:

IC 20-18-2-4
    "Elementary school"
    Sec. 4. "Elementary school" means any combination of kindergarten and grades 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8.

IC 20-18-2-7
    "High school"
    Sec. 7. "High school" means any combination of grades 9, 10, 11, or 12.

So if it hosts kindergarten or grades 1-12, regardless if it is private or public, according to IC, it is a school.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Here's the definition you're looking for:

IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property"
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.296-1987, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.34-1991, SEC.27; P.L.9-1991, SEC.95; P.L.2-1992, SEC.880; P.L.81-1992, SEC.38; P.L.1-1993, SEC.240; P.L.160-1994, SEC.1; P.L.1-2005, SEC.227; P.L.145-2006, SEC.370.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    So, if a school is closed and no longer has classes it is still no-carry??
    Since the purpose of the law is to protect the kiddies from that mean old gun that my jump out of our holster and begin randomly shooting, can a closed school still be considered off limits? Or is that one of those gray areas that would be questionable?

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    So, if a school is closed and no longer has classes it is still no-carry??
    Since the purpose of the law is to protect the kiddies from that mean old gun that my jump out of our holster and begin randomly shooting, can a closed school still be considered off limits? Or is that one of those gray areas that would be questionable?

IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property"
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    They still own it, even when no kids are there. So NO. And you better watch that jumpy gun! :laugh:

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The purpose of the law is to protect certain buildings from .88 magnums.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQvtfHJZTUc[/ame]

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Okay, since I was thinking about this earlier today and it just happens to fall in the same type of category. I assume I know the answer, but I would still like to see other opinions.

Would a church be off limits everyday if they had a daycare on the property? Let's say it's called a daycare although it's nothing more than a babysitting service due to lack of credentials to show it is truly a daycare?

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Would a church be off limits everyday if they had a daycare on the property? Let's say it's called a daycare although it's nothing more than a babysitting service due to lack of credentials to show it is truly a daycare?

If the "daycare" meets any definition of IC 35-41-1-24.7, the property would be off limits all the time.

Top Bottom