Can we organize a Limited Gun "Test Drive" Day near Indianapolis?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm currently shooting a Brazos High Performance Edge that I got as my first Limited gun. I'm thinking about changing to something lighter, but I want to make sure I'm doing it for the right reasons. My Dad's advice has always been "shoot a bunch of different guns, and see what you like", but that can be hard to actually accomplish. I'd like to shoot a lightened 5" gun, lightened 6" gun, etc., etc.

Does anybody else in Indiana want to make this happen? I'm wondering if we could schedule a range day at a metro Indianapolis range (i.e. Atlanta Conservation Club, Marion County Fish and Game, etc.) where people could try out different Limited guns.

If you think this would be a good idea, and would like to participate, please post what Limited gun you'd bring (if any) and what range you'd prefer. I'll go first:

Gun: Brazos High Performance Edge, 40 cal
    Range Preference: Atlanta Conservation Club, Atlanta, IN or Marion County Fish and Game, Indianapolis, IN

Gun: STI Tactical, 45 acp
    Range Preference: Atlanta Conservation Club, Atlanta, IN or Marion County Fish and Game, Indianapolis, IN

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I think G.H. can help you out with the lightened 5" and I haven't seen a lightened 6" in Indiana since I have taken up the sport.

But I like your idea though!

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think G.H. can help you out with the lightened 5" and I haven't seen a lightened 6" in Indiana since I have taken up the sport.

But I like your idea though!

Thanks man. I want to test out some guns while using a timer, to see which one works best for me. You hear a lot of "I prefer this" or "theoretically this is better", but I'd like to shoot them and see what works for me. I also thought that this would be ideal for people thinking about buying / building a pistol.

I wish we could come up with somebody that has an extensively lightened 6" gun. We hear a lot about Benny Hill Fat Free guns (or similarly light 6" guns), but we never see them around here. I'd like to try one out REALLY BAD.

Last edited:

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I asked one of my buddies, and I should be able to borrow a Glock 35 fully "raced-up" (magwell, guide rod, trigger job, sights, etc.).

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think this would be a great idea... I am not really much of a comp shooter but would love to see some of the guns and the ideas behind the way they are set up. Anything that I can bring into the combat arena is always a plus.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    anywhere around Indy would work for me, springfield xdm 40S&W, and springfield Hi-Cap in 45 ACP

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    anywhere around Indy would work for me, springfield xdm 40S&W, and springfield Hi-Cap in 45 ACP

It sounds like we're getting somewhere! I'll talk to the Board at Marion County Fish and Game to see if we can reserve an afternoon to do this in a month or two. I could set up a few pieces of steel, and people could try out different guns with a timer present to see how they work for them.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    This sounds like lots of fun.

If I can make it, I'll bring my "raced up" G35 and a G24 (which is basically a 6" version of the G-35).

Maybe we could meet at Atlanta gun club some Saturday?

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This sounds like lots of fun.

If I can make it, I'll bring my "raced up" G35 and a G24 (which is basically a 6" version of the G-35).

Maybe we could meet at Atlanta gun club some Saturday?

That sounds great! I heard throught he grapevine that you got a G24; congrats!

Daturbokat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Clayton IN
    Don't think you'd be interested in shooting my Limited Glock 24 Chizzle, but I would bring it if anyone wants to give it a try. Sorry I don't have something fancier to bring to the table. This idea sounds like a fun and informative social event. I like to hear everyone's philosophy on what a Limited gun should be. Maybe Atlanta Conservation Club would be better, so we could draw from the holster and incorporate some movement. Just a thought. After all their are other things to think about in a Limited gun other than just pulling the trigger.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Glocks are Welcome

Don't think you'd be interested in shooting my Limited Glock 24 Chizzle, but I would bring it if anyone wants to give it a try. Sorry I don't have something fancier to bring to the table. This idea sounds like a fun and informative social event. I like to hear everyone's philosophy on what a Limited gun should be. Maybe Atlanta Conservation Club would be better, so we could draw from the holster and incorporate some movement. Just a thought. After all their are other things to think about in a Limited gun other than just pulling the trigger.

Matt,
    Don't sell your gun short; I'd still like to check it out, and this event isn't "all about me". Ideally, I'd like for people to get to check out guns that are different from their own (whatever the make or model) to determine if there is something better out there for them.
    Let's see what the consensus is for a location; I'm fine either way. If the weather is really bad and we're at MCF&G, we can always shoot for an hour or two and then go grab some buffalo wings :)
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

Steady Glock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    OK, super "Newbie" question here: What's a "Limited" gun?

Aside from my lack of knowledge of "Limited" firearms, I would definitely be interested in attending a group event to try out other types of guns, learn as much as possible, meet other shooters, etc., etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    OK, super "Newbie" question here: What's a "Limited" gun?

Limited is a division in USPSA competition that requires Iron sights, but has a high capacity magazine. (Usually around 20 rounds) Magazine length is limited to 140 mm. Limited is Iron sights, no ports and no compensators.

Open is another division and the rules of that division make it legal to drag just about anything up to the line. Red dot optics, porting and compensators and so forth.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I may be overly cautious, but I would have issues with allowing a stranger to shoot their ammo through my gun.
    What if something, as unlikely as it is, would happen. Who would be responsible?
    I have a 6" BH gun here that he built for himself. A buddy of mine talked him out of it. Needless to say, I would need his permission for something like this.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I can bring in a EAA witness Match to the mix, which I think is one of the most underated guns in the competition circuit, I wouldn't carry the boat anchor but I'll sure shoot it in matches

Is anyone turning the M&P into a race gun yet, there's potential there

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I can bring in a EAA witness Match to the mix, which I think is one of the most underated guns in the competition circuit, I wouldn't carry the boat anchor but I'll sure shoot it in matches

Is anyone turning the M&P into a race gun yet, there's potential
    there

With that match/tuned trigger M&P you shot saturday, it sure looks like it'd be a good one. What weight is that trigger?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    With that match/tuned trigger M&P you shot saturday, it sure looks like it'd be a good one. What weight is that trigger?

the only thing I've had done to the m&p is a little polishing on the trigger parts and the trigger sits at just under 4lb's but other than that the only thing different than the day I got it is about 3k rounds,

but I not being a gunsmith wonder where the gun could go. I'm sure by next season there will be a couple out there mod'd to the 9's and like everything else it will still depend on sight alignment and trigger control,

funny how that works out

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I may be overly cautious, but I would have issues with allowing a stranger to shoot their ammo through my gun.
    What if something, as unlikely as it is, would happen. Who would be responsible?
    I have a 6" BH gun here that he built for himself. A buddy of mine talked him out of it. Needless to say, I would need his permission for something like this.

I think this brings up good ideas; if people would like someone to sign a waiver (sort of "you break it, you buy it") I would totally understand. I'm thinking that this would be more like a guided tour (owner standing directly next to the shooter), so that it is safe, and so that the owners can be sure that their guns are treated well.

Top Bottom