• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimmyG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2014
    south Bend
    Not sure if this is the right place to post sorry I'm new still learning. Any help would b great on question and site direction:): my question is if a church uses a school on Sunday when there is no school being attended can u ccw during church. I know the laws for schools are leave locked in car in parking lot but is a school still a school even if it's church on Sunday. Hope this is not a dumb question but would like some insight and opinions and most important the law on this if possible

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    School property is always school property regardless of its use during non-school times, so firearms would need to stay locked out of sight in vehicle.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Welcome to INGO.

Schools and daycares are always off limits. So if the church has a state licensed daycare in it, the building/property is off limits unless it's locked in your vehicle as ATM said above.

When it comes to questions of the law, most of the answers are here somewhere. It might just take a bit to find them. We'd rather have you ask than get into trouble.

jimmyG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2014
    south Bend
    Thanks for the imput guys. Just trying to figure some things out as we r a new church and trying to get some things in line as far as Safty and security.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and to take ATMs statement one step further, if it WAS but no longer IS an active school, but is still owned by the school district, its still off limits. (e.g. sports field used by private league)

nzclll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    brownsburg
    It's all school property.

IC 35-31.5-2-285
    "School property"
    Sec. 285. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.114-2012, SEC.67.

A licensed church daycare falls under the red text above. Below is the exeption. You can get permission from whoever runs it, ie pastor, business owner...

I was wrong in the line above. Church daycare (ministry) is under 12-17.2, but is an unlicensed entity.

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who may legally possess a firearm and who has been authorized by:
    (A) a school board (as defined by IC 20-26-9-4);
    or
    (B) the body that administers a charter school established under IC 20-24;
    to carry a firearm in or on school property.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    (4) A person who is a school resource officer, as defined in IC 20-26-18.2-1.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11. Amended by P.L.172-2013, SEC.12.

IC 20-26-9-4
    "School board"
    Sec. 4. As used in this chapter, "school board" means:
    (1) when applicable to a public school of Indiana, the board of school trustees, board of school commissioners, school board of incorporated towns and cities, and township school trustees; or
    (2) when applicable to a school other than a public school, a person or agency in active charge and management of the school.
    As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.10.

Last edited:

nzclll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    brownsburg
    *** said:
    I need a little help with what you posted. My church ( no daycare in building) shares the parking lot with the school (catholic). The buildings are not connected physically in anyway. Only tbe common parking lot. What are your ideas. I askef a cop who was at mass he said he didn't see a problem. I asked the Johnson County prosecutor office and their response was they don't give legal advise.

sorry, I can not reply to your PM yet with a low posting count, so I will just post it in here.

see where the property line is? Should only apply to the part of the parking lot that they lease/own. To be on the safe side, you could ask permission (in writing) from the daycare to park and carry there.

Top Bottom