• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Well it did.We had a fire at our place.The living room and kitchen are a total write off.
    2ckawx.jpg

Everyone is ok,the dogs and cat included. Check your alarms.The smoke alarm in the hall most likely saved my life,though I did not hear the ones down stairs(and it had been a good long while since I checked batteries).

This happened in late October,and life has been total chaos since.Our insurance company has been great/horrible. The house is actually recovering quickly,but we argue nearly all details with them.They had us in a hotel the day after(*thanks esrice)and we are now in an apartment until the house is finished(3-5 months).

A few things I have learned.
    1.You do not have enough pictures or anywhere near a complete inventory.
    This boils down to having an image or receipt for every single item in your home.Without one or the other as far as the insurance goes the item did not exist.We had pictures of every large item in the house.My advice go open every drawer,cabinet,shelf,nook,and cranny in your house and take a picture and add them to a portable hard drive to keep in your vehicle or with a relative(or BOB).

2.Dogs.
    While our puppies are the most wonderful animals on earth...they do have a down side.I would never give up the dogs,that said they have made life much more difficult. They are both inside dogs.At the house it was a simple matter to care for them.Open the back door and out they went.After the fire it has been MUCH harder. At the hotel first walking 3 flights of stairs a few times a day for potty time,and taking both of them with us nearly every where.Neither had spent much time on a lead prior to the fire,they now are normally on one when outside.The apartment we are in now(just over 1000 sq feet)is a nightmare for them.We have only been here 3 days and both dogs still bark at the slightest noise(ie non stop).Still I would not give either up for anything.

More later....it has been a long day of inventory,phone calls,and meeting different contractors.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Your insurance is supposed to set you up in housing that is just like what you had before. Tell them that the apartment is not what you had before and suggest they call ALE Solutions or another Additional Living Expenses company to give you the true Additional Living Expenses coverage you paid for.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Your insurance is supposed to set you up in housing that is just like what you had before. Tell them that the apartment is not what you had before and suggest they call ALE Solutions or another Additional Living Expenses company to give you the true Additional Living Expenses coverage you paid for.
    ALE is who set up the housing.It was this or stay in the hotel.There is not really anything to rent near us.I will post more later with more pictures of the progess in the house.The living room was the only area with fire damage,but smoke and water both really did a number on the rest of the house.The white in the picture is insulation from the attic.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Man that sucks. I am so up the creek if this happens. Our policy covers actual replacement value but we have to submit receipts for the new items and get reimbursement after. Our electronics and firearm coverage is even worse. I just went over our coverage again and unless I want to pay through the nose it just doesn't make sense to change policies.

I need to budget more into our maintenance savings fund this year just in case.

bat54r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Very sorry to hear this smoking man, but thanks for the heads up on what to expect. I'm going to get with my wife tonight and go over our current policy and make sure we add a lot more pics and grab every receipt I can find and get them gathered and off-site just in case.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Man.I am sorry that is horrible...I feel so bad for you guys but I am glad no one was hurt..My home flooded and erie insurance put me up in a hotel that was nicer than my home .it cost like 4,000 for them so they did not like us very much and cancelled our insurance afterwards . ah but who cares about them. there are other places to get insurance.. Insurance is double edge sword for sure.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I feel for you. You have given some sound advice, and I will be going around the house snapping pic after pic. I'm glad to hear you and your family are fine and pray you will be out of the apt. soon.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I paid claims for 15 yrs, and very rarely asked for receipts for fires. Its evident that the 60 TV is there, its just a melted mess. Thats the proof of ownership.

$10,000 diamond ring you bought that was stolen a week later, you better have a receipt.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I paid claims for 15 yrs, and very rarely asked for receipts for fires. Its evident that the 60 TV is there, its just a melted mess. Thats the proof of ownership.

$10,000 diamond ring you bought that was stolen a week later, you better have a receipt.

I was a staff adjuster for a while before IA and they were big on proof of ownership on contents. Like smokingman said, photos will work.

P.S. Seems there's a lot of insurance adjusters on this forum (maybe we're used to being in unhappy places that call for carrying a gun). Tempted to start a group for INGO adjusters.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear about this. Glad everyone got out. I missed it if you posted about this before. Any idea how it started?

This is not an easy one to admit on here.The fire was an accident,but a very dumb one.
    It was on the 27th of October,and the temperature was going to be around 37 for a low that night.Rather than turn on the furnace I started up a nice cozy fire in the fire place.I had fallen asleep on the couch enjoying the nice warm heat.I woke up a few hours later to nearly no fire.This is when I made a really dumb choice.I added fresh wood to the fire,and went upstairs to bed.The dumb choice was leaving the glass doors open and only closing the screens.I am guessing it was around 3 hours later when the fire alarm woke me up.The fire investigator said a spark caught paper near the fireplace(there was a large metal hoop of paper used to start the fireplace...to close to the fireplace),and it spread from there.

The amount of chaos this has caused in our lives is just crazy.The full inventory alone took over a week to complete.Everyday now it is meeting someone or picking something out as a replacement.

Lesson learned the very hard way.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    When my wife was little her house burned to the ground. Literally ashes with nothing left, so I feel your pain through her.

One note I would make about pictures since computers and cameras can be destroyed (with the pictures in them) If you use Mozy or Carbonite it can save you a hassle with the insurance company and you can retrieve your photos (and your right everything should have a picture) anywhere you like.

HUFFMANWG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    VA.
    Loss

A home can be replaced, A human life can't, glad yall are safe an not hurt, sorry about your loss. Hope your insurance wasn't Nationwide.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Can you imagine the mope that intentionally does it to get new stuff.

No way that type of grief could be worth it but they still try it.

I've had a flaming log try to roll out and take the closed doors with it since they are just friction fit with expansion screws. I bet this happens much more frequently than we think.

Fireplaces are pretty but give me a sturdy wood burning stove any day.

Glad you are safe, make sure you fireproof the surrounding room this time so you don't end up with a repeat engagement.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Things can be replaced, people can't, glad you are all OK (pets too!).

Insurance companies make money selling policies, not paying claims. They will push you & short you wherever they can (maybe not all of them but all that I have ever dealt with).

Good luck with your claims.

For anyone else reading this thread you are coming to realize that you need to document everything possible.

After the tornado came through & hit us about 7 years ago (mostly water damage to contents & building damage), it was a valuable learning experience dealing with the insurance company. They wanted to know when we bought it, where we bought it, how much we paid for it, receipts, if it was a gift, who it came from (name & phone #), etc, etc, etc.

Make a video, going through your closets, drawers, etc. images of serial or model #s, as much detail as you can get because you will forget what you have when you are filling out mounds of forms.

Make a copy of the video & put one in your fire safe, send the other copy to a relative or friend in a different location, not next door, preferably in a different state.

When going through my claim, I asked them if we had a fire or complete tornado devistation if they would just pay the insured total ammt or if I would have to itemize everything?

She stated, "you would have to itemize everything".

Top Bottom