• Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Hello!

In early December, I pre ordered the Kestrel 5.56 can from DBTT and lately I've been thinking about guns I could use it on other than my AR. One idea that has really taken the spotlight is a .22LR MP5 variant. I was thinking about getting a GSG MP5 4.52" or GSG MP5 9" which would be quite fun suppressed. I then started thinking about the possibility of SBRing it. I know the gun needs to be engraved to be a SBR, how would that work with a MP5? I would LOVE having a MP5 with a suppressor and collapsible stock on it! Would this be possible?

Thanks!
    John

I mean come on...how could I not want this? :D
    9001.jpg

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Is the gun in the photo a 22LR or 9mm full auto with a burst pack?

For the 22LR this is something that can be done, with possible exception of don't know what stock fits for the 22LR and the fuzzy area of US parts count with short barreled rifles.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If someone can mechanically/physically do it, then you can get it SBR'd and have it approved in Indiana.

And if you EVER get the chance to fire a REAL MP5...do it. And then do it again and again and again...

-J-

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Yep, you sure can do it. Google search GSG5 SBR. You get lots of cool pics. Why do I know? Im planning on doing the exact same thing with my Kestrel 556. I like the way you think:thumbsup: I think im going with the PK version.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Is there any modding that needs to be done for a GSG to accept a stock or is it fairly easy?

*EDIT* - This looks about perfect for what I want to do!

g5.jpg

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    If someone can mechanically/physically do it, then you can get it SBR'd and have it approved in Indiana.

And if you EVER get the chance to fire a REAL MP5...do it. And then do it again and again and again...

-J-

Yup! I had some fun with an mp5sd. First suppressed weapon I had heard too! Mag dump after mag dump. Oh the fun!

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    They don't. That said its a 25$ adapter thats not exacally hard to find...

I got mine from swarfworks

SwarfWorks CNC Machined Firearm Accessories - GSG Accessories

On second viewing, those prices are now nuts. It was way cheaper when I bought a while back.

Wow. Looks like the price nearly tripled! It is what it is though, and that's not going to stop me from SBR'ing a GSG! ;)

Any reason to get the 3-lug adapter over the "standard" one? I assume both would work fine with the Kestrel 5.56 can. :dunno:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Wow. Looks like the price nearly tripled! It is what it is though, and that's not going to stop me from SBR'ing a GSG! ;)

Any reason to get the 3-lug adapter over the "standard" one? I assume both would work fine with the Kestrel 5.56 can. :dunno:

Cosmetics for the most part :D That said I run mine with a 3 lug can so it was kinda a necessity.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.

Same here. The 3 lug adapter wont work with the Kestrel can though. Its thread on only.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Why's that? I'm fairly certain the Kestrel's come standard as "thread on" cans and are 1/2x28 threaded. That's exactly what the 3-lug adapter is... Maybe I'm missing something? :dunno:

Maybe im wrong, I could very well be, but I was always under the impression that the 3 lug had some kind of spring system in it or something like that. Im not positive on how the 3 lug works, but i know its different than standard thread on.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Maybe im wrong, I could very well be, but I was always under the impression that the 3 lug had some kind of spring system in it or something like that. Im not positive on how the 3 lug works, but i know its different than standard thread on.

SwarfWorks said:
    These adapters are a 3-lug quick detach type that screw onto the GSG5-PK with no modification needed. They also have the end threaded 1/2-28 for use with normal screw on silencers.

Pretty sure it's standard. It's just a cosmetic thing to get the "genuine" MP5 look.

*EDIT* - I think you can get silencers that somehow attach with the 3-lugs, which is what you might be thinking of, but the ones make by SwarfWorks work fine as "thread on" hosts.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Pretty sure it's standard. It's just a cosmetic thing to get the "genuine" MP5 look.

*EDIT* - I think you can get silencers that somehow attach with the 3-lugs, which is what you might be thinking of, but the ones make by SwarfWorks work fine as "thread on" hosts.

3 Lug mount.

Not saying you're wrong, but it doesnt look like it has any threads on it.
    imagesn.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom