• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I probably should just pay the 175 dollar ticket. However the court cant charge me more if i defend myself and lose. Read below from a prior post I did.

Can I deny the charge of a class c infraction (improperly displayed license plate) due to an illegal search?

Are the two seperate of eachother? Meaning the illegal search occurred but I am still responsible for the infraction?

From a prior post

I was pulled over for doing 77 in a 60 today on US 31. After running my info the trooper comes back to my vehicle and asks if I have have any firearms in the vehicle. I told him I did in fact have a handgun and lifetime permit and the handgun was in my center console. The trooper asked me if I was aware that I needed to tell him when pulled over about the permit and the handgun...I stated I did not (plenty of threads on this not trying to rehash it here).

The trooper asks me to step out of the car and go sit on his bumper. I asked him if there was a problem and he told me he was going to remove the firearm. My question here is if this is an illegal search? He wasn't telling me what he was doing (had I not asked) and he had the ability to rummage through my car (which I don't think he did). I have nothing to hide and would have given him permission regardless.

The real reason for this thread is this:
    The trooper asks me to step out of the vehicle and does not search me. He then asks me to sit on his bumper which was about 7-10 yards off my back bumper. If I were a bad guy and had a handgun on me his back was to me as he was removing my firearm. This puts him in a bad place to defend himself if I were a bad person and had a weapon on me. Thoughts?

I had a college friend who was an ISP who was shot and killed while trying to do a good deed for a bad guy. So this hits kind of close to home.

Trooper Scott Alan Patrick, Indiana State Police, Indiana

I am in no way trying to bash LEO's as I am a huge supporter of their commitment to the job. I would have given him permission to search the entire car if asked. I am just a bit curious about the search thing and even more concerned about the protocol to remove my handgun (concerned about his safety).

The trooper told me "nice Kimber."
    Oh, i received a warning for 77 in a 60. So that worked out well.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    IANAL... but your story is a little confusing. It says you got a warning. Where did the $175 ticket come from?

Based on what you said above there was no evidence found as a result of the "illegal" search that ended up being used against you. Since you did not object and state you did not consent to the search you may not have a leg to stand on. :twocents:

:popcorn:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Wow, why would he let you go on the speeding ticket but charge you with improperly displayed license plate? Seems weird.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    If he told you he was going to search your car, and you let him, it's not an illegal search.
    Think of it like vampires. Once you invite them in...
    When he said I am going to remove it, that would be the time to say
    Do you have a warrant?
    I will not consent to any search of my vehicle without a warrant.
    Am I being detained?
    Get out. Lock the door and go sit on his bumper.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    He gave you a warning on a citation that would have effected your insurance rates for the next three years, Checked your gun with your consent and then issued you a citation for a non moving violation that will not effect your driving record or raise your insurance rates!! Hummm I think I would just pay the citation! if you take him to court over it he has the rite to issue you a citation for the original reason he stopped you! (77 in a 60) so I would just pay it and drive the speed limit! :D

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Fine but no points on the record?:dunno:

That is a LOT for a improperly displayed license plate.

We got dinged by ISP on I-69 around Gas City for I think $175 for not signing the registration card. I assumed the officer needed to write the citation for his "quota", but didn't want to hit my wife with the speeding violation and points.

And he didn't ask, and I didn't inform...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We got dinged by ISP on I-69 around Gas City for I think $175 for not signing the registration card. I assumed the officer needed to write the citation for his "quota", but didn't want to hit my wife with the speeding violation and points.

And he didn't ask, and I didn't inform...
    Wow. Have to make up the loss in tax revenue some where I guess.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    You got the better deal between a Moving Violation and an improper display of License Plate as far as your Insurance rates But I'm troubled by the continued stories that I keep hearing of ISP confused about Indiana Gun Laws and the Fact that they want to Disarm a person for an Infraction. Either someone at the ILEA is handing out Bad information or someone with authority at ISP has a Hard On for Legal Licensed Gun Owners. ISP has a 100 ticket a month minimum Quota. They will Not like that description (Quota) But it is Accurate

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Yes. I work in the automotive industry

You know who else throws the license plates in the back window?

Car thieves.

The plate must be affixed to the outside of the vehicle, with the bottom edge parallel to the ground (another car thief trick is to hastily put a tag on the car with a single screw).

It doesn't matter if you work in the "automotive industry". In every dealership test drive I've taken, the salesman knew to attach one of the dealership's plates to the rear of the car before we hit the road.

And, no... A subsequent "illegal search" is not going to get you out of an initial violation that was used as PC.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If he told you he was going to search your car, and you let him, it's not an illegal search.
    Think of it like vampires. Once you invite them in...
    When he said I am going to remove it, that would be the time to say
    Do you have a warrant?
    I will not consent to any search of my vehicle without a warrant.
    Am I being detained?
    Get out. Lock the door and go sit on his bumper.

Your first sentence is chalked full of FAIL. Remaining silent is NOT a default agreement for a search.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Haha..funny how everyone in the original thread said illegal search and were aghast with the situation.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...he_isp_trooper_put_himself_at_risk_today.html

To answer your question, no, you cannot get the ticket dropped. The justification of the stop, and penalty are legit.
    If something was found during the Trooper's search, and you were dinged with it, THEN you'd have something to have "dropped."
    Now in the purest sense, your rights were violated. If you wished to remedy the infringement, you would be justified in bringing forth a suit.
    But that's about it.

Top Bottom