Can I fireproof a crappy non-fireproof gunlocker?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    Question for you all.

I recently upgraded my safe to a REAL gunsafe. I still have the old one, but using the word "safe" to describe it would be using that word loosely. It's more of a "gun locker" with nearly non-existent locks and zero insulation.

My question is, can I effectively insulate this unit, so that I can use it for non-gun/but heat-sensitive storage, like use it as an ammo locker?

I'm under the impression that the fire insulation in a safe is sheetrock. Is this correct? How thick is the minimum? What about seams in the sheet rock?

If anyone can help with answers to these questions, not only will I be in debt to you, but I'll also most likely pester you with further questions. :)

Thanks,
    Scott

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Well I work construction and in hall ways and stairwells they use 2 layers of 5/8" drywall. This is a 1 hr fire rating the more you add the more fire resistant it is. as for seams they do have fire rated caulk for the seams. I am going to do this for a whole room when we build our house. Its bigger and cheaper in the long run!!!

MOSSMIND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    I think I may be able to help you a bit. As I was in the market for a new safe and did alot of studying on the subject. You are correct that most safes use drywall as their insulator and it will offer about 30 minutes of protection. I found this to be unacceptable and i sure wasn't going to use drywall to be the protector of my most important stuff. I went to see Jeff Johnson at Johnson Safes and got a real education on what makes a good safe. He uses a ceramic liner, it lookes like a piece of fiberglass insulation. It is rated at 2,300 or 2,800 degress (can't remember) for 1 hour. Now when I was at his shop I put a piece on top of this wood burner and the stove was quite hot. When I pulled it off, it wasn't hot at all. I would say give him a call and see if you can buy just the ceramic liner, i am sure it won't be cheap, but it would work great.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Well I work construction and in hall ways and stairwells they use 2 layers of 5/8" drywall. This is a 1 hr fire rating the more you add the more fire resistant it is. as for seams they do have fire rated caulk for the seams. I am going to do this for a whole room when we build our house. Its bigger and cheaper in the long run!!!
    Why not just do a vault so you have even better fire protection and some real theft protection.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I googled ceramic fire insulation used in gun safes one of the results: Fire Safes | Fire Gun Safe, Best Large Ceramic Fireproof Safes (good safe construction logic and materials)
    that gave me the terminology like "ceramic wool blanket" to google and find this
    High Temperature Ceramic Wool (in a nut shell...not cost prohibitive stuff)

Take this with a grain of salt I'm working with a 5 minute google based education but it looks like a fun doable project to turn a closet type room or locker safe into at least a much greater fire resistant area. much more research than what I have done is needed of course but I don't think I saw anything that is out of the realm of a detail oriented do it yourself kind of person.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    i use to work with office furniture,the fireproof files that businesses have are all lined with concrete thats why they weigh 1000 pounds, but the thickness and how tight they seal is what keeps they papers from burning.my guess would be get some concrete board from lowes you have to have a diamond saw to cut it,line your locker with it and caulk with fire resistant materail.

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    Why not just do a vault so you have even better fire protection and some real theft protection.

House is currently on the market as part of my divorce. I want to keep it, but my bat$&!@ crazy ex seems to think I should fork over $5K to buy her out, even though she walked away from it over two years ago and I've been making the pmt. ever since.

The bill collections calls have steadily increased in the last 6 months, she must have gotten herself in deep... again. I'm waiting for it to get a little worse for her, then I'm going to threaten to move out, at which point she is on the hook for 50% of the payment. Difference between her and I is that I can pay my half and still afford another place to live.

but yeah, not really willing to fireproof an entire room for a few reasons, on of which this place is small enough already, and someone could still get into it fairly easy.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    contact your local insulators union or even an insulator installer. there is insulation on the market that is fireproof for extended periods of time as well as fire caulk. i would say get some vats of this insulation(you could probably score some for free if you talk nice to whom-ever you contact) and layer it inside the locker. once that is complete buy a sheet of fire-rated CDX plywood from the local lumber yard. not ace hardware, you'll have to contact a lumber supplier and a 4x8 sheet will run you about 40 bucks. this should heat and fire proof it for quite a while with little expense.

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    well you were asking about how to line your "safe". I was just giving you a cheap alternative of doing it. Ive already got a fire proof door, so when I do build thats what I'm gonna do!

Top Bottom