Can a US President outlaw/repeal state issued gun carry permits?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just curious, but I know many of us on these forums have a gun or two in their home, and I know some of us even have 'carry permits' to carry a concealed firearm. I'm probably not the only one who has a "Lifetime" permit to carry a concealed handgun.

But I'm now wondering, if Barack Obama were to become president, can he issue some sort of order, or can he back a federal law, that would outlaw concealed carry of handguns? He has previously stated he would favor banning the sale of handguns.

Just some of his positions:

While Running For President, Obama Claims To Support Gun Rights:
    This is from his website:
    PROTECTING GUN RIGHTS
    Respect the Second Amendment: Millions of hunters own and use guns each year. Millions more participate in a variety of shooting sports such as sporting clays, skeet, target and trap shooting that may not necessarily involve hunting. As a former constitutional law professor, Barack Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he greatly respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns for the purposes of hunting and target shooting. He also believes that the right is subject to reasonable and commonsense regulation.​

During Debate, Obama Claimed Respect For Gun Rights. Obama: "You've got the tradition of lawful gun ownership, that all of us saw, as we travel around rural parts of the country. And it is very important for many Americans to be able to hunt, fish, take their kids out, teach them how to shoot." (Sen. Barack Obama, 2008 Democrat Presidential Debate,Las Vegas, NV, 1/15/08)

BUT OBAMA HAS A LONG ANTI-GUN RECORD

Before Running For President, Obama Expressed Support For Banning Many Types Of Firearms:

On 1996 Questionnaire, Obama Answered "Yes" To Question About His Support For Legislation To "Ban The Manufacture, Sale And Possession Of Handguns." Question: "Do you support state legislation to ... ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? [Obama's Response:] Yes." (Independent Voters Of Illinois Independent Precinct Organization 1996 General Candidate Questionnaire, Barack Obama Responses, 9/10/96)

Scholar John Lott Recalls Obama Stating: "I Don't Believe That People Should Be Able To Own Guns." John Lott: "In fact, I knew Obama during the mid-1990s, and his answers to IVI's question on guns fit well with the Obama that I knew. Indeed, the first time I introduced myself to him he said 'Oh, you are the gun guy.' I responded 'Yes, I guess so.' He simply responded that 'I don't believe that people should be able to own guns.'" (John R. Lott Jr., "Obama And Guns: Two Different Views," Fox News, Breaking News | Latest News | Current News - FOXNews.com, 4/7/08)

In 2003, Obama Voted In Support Of Legislation That "Would Have Banned Most Of The Privately Held Hunting Shotguns, Target Rifles, And Black Powder Rifles" In Illinois. "n 2003, Obama voted in support of SB1195, which, if passed, would have banned most of the privately held hunting shotguns, target rifles, and black powder rifles in the state. If the ban was enacted, law enforcement officials would have been authorized to forcibly enter private homes to confiscate newly banned firearms." (Illinois State Rifle Association, "ISRA Blasts Candidate Obama On His Record Of Hostility Toward L aw-Abiding Firearm Owners," Press Release, 8/24/04)

-- SB 1195 Caused Furor; Would Have Banned Shotguns, Muzzleloaders.
    "The gun furor basically revolves around Senate Bill 1195,
    sponsored by Democratic Sen. Antonio Munoz. It would ban shotguns with a
    bore of .50 caliber or more, the net result, according to numerous
    interpretations, being to outlaw a variety of shotguns, and even
    muzzleloaders." (Lew Freedman, Op-Ed, "Hunters Need Not
    Worry--Yet," Chicago Tribune, 4/19/03)
    Obama Believes The D.C. Gun Ban Is Constitutional. "[T]he campaign of Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama said that he '...believes that we can recognize and respect the rights of law-abiding gun owners and the right of local communities to enact common sense laws to combat violence and save lives. Obama believes the D.C. handgun law is constitutional.'" (James Oliphant and Michael J. Higgins, "Court To Hear Gun Case," Chicago Tribune, 11/20/07)
    -- NOTE: The D.C. Gun Ban Bars Handguns, Operable Rifles And Shotguns In
    The Home. "The D.C. law, like laws in Chicago and New York City,
    doesn't explicitly bar handguns; it requires that all residents
    register them with the city. Since the city stopped registering handguns
    in 1976, no one who hadn't registered by then can have a handgun at
    home. The result, effectively, is a ban. D.C.'s law also bars
    residents from keeping any other firearm, such as a rifle or a shotgun,
    loaded or assembled." (Emma Schwartz, "The Right To Bear
    Arms," U.S. News & World Report, 3/6/08)​

Obama Was Director Of Anti-Gun Joyce Foundation, Which Spent Millions On Gun-Control Causes. "Adding even further skepticism to Obama's claim of support for the 2nd Amendment is his previous service as a director of the Joyce Foundation. Since 2000, the Joyce Foundation has provided over $15 Million in funding to radical gun control organizations such as the Violence Policy Center and the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence. The Joyce Foundation is tightly linked to the Soros Open Society Institute -- an extremis t group that advocates a worldwide ban on civilian firearm ownership." (Illinois State Rifle Association, "ISRA Blasts Candidate Obama On His Record Of Hostility Toward Law-Abiding Firearm Owners," Press Release, 8/24/04)

In 2004, Obama Voted Against Legislation "Drafted To Protect Homeowners From Prosecution In Cases Where They Used A Firearm To Halt A Home Invasion." "[O]bama cast a total of 4 votes in opposition to SB2165. SB2165 was drafted to protect homeowners from prosecution in cases where they used a firearm to halt a home invasion. Once again, Obama found himself on the wrong side of the issue as overwhelming majorities of both the House and the Senate voted in favor of this important legislation. Obama's steadfast opposition to SB2165 is indicative of his misplaced priorities on issues of self-defense and personal firearm ownership." (Illinois State Rifle Association, "ISRA Blasts Candidate Obama On His Record Of Hostility Toward Law-Abiding Firearm Owners," Press Release, 8/24/04)

-- The Bill Was In Response To Homeowner Who Shot Burglar Who Had Broken
    Into His Home - Twice. "The state handgun bill Obama voted against
    was a response to the case of a suburban Chicago restaurant owner who
    shot a burglar who had broken into his home twice." (Mike Robinson,
    "Keyes Rips Obama Over Opposition To Gun Bill," The Associated
    Press State & Local Wire, 8/24/04)​

In 2004, Obama Called For Federal Legislation To Pre-empt State Concealed Carry Laws. "In a February survey of Democratic primary candidates for the U.S. Senate by the Tribune, Obama said he opposed allowing ordinary citizens to carry concealed weapons and that a federal law banning concealed carried weapons except for law enforcement is needed." (Liam Ford, "Keyes Backs Law On Concealed Guns," Chicago Tribune, 8/25/04)

-- Obama Recently Spoke Out Against Concealed Carry. Obama: "I am not
    in favor of concealed weapons ... I think that creates a potential
    atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during)
    altercations." (Mike Wereschagin and David M. Brown,
    "Candidates' Gun Control Positions May Figure In Pa.
    Vote," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 4/2/08)​
    In 2001, Obama Voted Against And Helped Defeat Bill To Allow Individuals To Carry Concealed Weapon When They Have Valid Order Of Protection Against Another Person. (S.B. 604, Senate Floor Third Reading, Failed, 29-27-0, 4/4/01, Obama Voted Nay)

-- "After Extensive Debate On The Senate Floor ... State Sen. Barack
    Obama (D-13) Helped Defeat A Bill That Would Allow People Who Receive An
    Order Of Protection To Possess And Carry A Concealed Firearm."
    (Todd Spivak, "Sen. Obama Helps Defeat A Concealed Firearm
    Bill," Hyde Park Herald, 4/11/01)
    -- Obama: "Concealed-carry laws would only increase the problem of
    handgun violence and ultimately make the streets less safe everywhere
    ... It was a bad idea and I'm glad it failed..." (Todd Spivak,
    "Sen. Obama Helps Defeat A Concealed Firearm Bill," Hyde Park
    Herald, 4/11/01)​

In The U.S. Senate, Obama Voted Twice To Hold Manufacturers, Distributors, Dealers And Importers Of Firearms And Ammunition Liable For The Acts Of Criminals. (S. 397, CQ Vote #206: Motion Agreed To 66-32: R 53-1; D 13-30; I 0-1, 7/26/05, Obama Voted Nay; S. 397, CQ Vote #219: Passed 65-31: R 50-2; D 14-29; I 1-0, 7/29/05, Obama Voted Nay)

Obama Has Received "F" Ratings From The National Rifle Association:

In 2004, 2002 And 1998, Obama Received "F" Ratings From The National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund. The NRA has given Obama 3 "F's." (National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund Website, National Rifle Association | Political Victory Fund, Accessed 1/8/08; National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund Website, National Rifle Association | Political Victory Fund, Accessed 1/8/08; 1998 Illinois National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund Political Preference Chart, p.2)​

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    But I'm now wondering, if Barack Obama were to become president, can he issue some sort of order, or can he back a federal law, that would outlaw concealed carry of handguns? He has previously stated he would favor banning the sale of handguns.

Not that would pass the test of Constitutionality.

If I recall, is there not a law now that says that guns may not be confiscated, and if so, would that not apply even under martial law?

IANAL disclaimer, as usual.

Blessings,
    B

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I don't think he could ban handguns outright as that would get into a "states rights" issue as well as the 2nd ammendment. However, he and a Democrat majority congress could pass many regulations that would make our guns less useful and more expensive to use. Things like micro-stamping, excessive record keeping and other small restrictions could make new guns and any ammo very expensive. Please support NRA and your other favorite gun supportive groups. Right now we need all the unity we can get to make our voice louder in Washington. Lobbying congress is expensive but it amplifies our voice when each pro-gun supporter sends an e-mail or makes a phone call to their congressman and senator.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Please support NRA and your other favorite gun supportive groups. Right now we need all the unity we can get to make our voice louder in Washington.

:+1:

He couldn't even take our guns if he declared Martial Law. Thanks to the Katrina blunder. He could only declare Martial Law under SEVERE threat of terrorist attack, violent protest, or severe natural disaster. Besides, if there ever was a Federal Gun Grab, I think, I could be wrong, but I think most of us would either go into hiding, our guns would somehow get "stolen", or we would all just stand up and FIGHT. Heaven forbid it ever comes to that, but if it should, stock up and prepare for HELL'S UNLOADING!:do2:

ARININ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    :+1:

He couldn't even take our guns if he declared Martial Law. Thanks to the Katrina blunder. He could only declare Martial Law under SEVERE threat of terrorist attack, violent protest, or severe natural disaster. Besides, if there ever was a Federal Gun Grab, I think, I could be wrong, but I think most of us would either go into hiding, our guns would somehow get "stolen", or we would all just stand up and FIGHT. Heaven forbid it ever comes to that, but if it should, stock up and prepare for HELL'S UNLOADING!:do2:

God Bless, I ll tell you this its very simple. Our great nation as we know it dying, its most unfortunate but we are being pushed further and further away from a "free Country" more to a technocratic quasi police state.

HEY OBAMMA SHI&^AG THe 2nd amendment is NOT JUST FOR HUNTERS, IT ALSO FOR OPPRESSIVE AND OVERBEARING GOVERNMENTS!!!

I'm not afraid off terrorism, terrorism cant ban your guns our take away your property or get rid of posse comentatus, or habeas corpus or kill our 4th amendment. ONLY A SICK PERVERTED TWISTED GOVERNMENT CAN DO THAT. and this is FU*&^ING BULL&^%IT WHATS GOING ON!!

WHY CAN WE JUST BE FREE!!! LIKE OUT FOREFATHERS INTENDED!!! DO YOU know how much fu%$#$ing BLOOD WAS spilled so we could get away from this ****ing ********!!!!

TIME TO WAKE UP PEOPLE, I CAN TAKE ALLOT poison my food and my air, lie to us about whats in the vaccines, drive the price of food through the roof take my house cause i cant pay, thats fine,,, BUT DON'T YOU EVER AND I MEAN EVER F&^%ING COME FOR OUR 2nd amendment!

ITS OUR IN alienable RIGHT TO PROTECT OURSELVES AND I FOR ONE WILL NEVER TURN IN MY FIREARMS EVER I DON'T GIVE A F^%CK WHAT HAPPENS, I am A honest law abiding citizen who pays his ass raping to the IRS every year liek a good slave I just wants to live peacefully with my family and my environment, DONT TREAD ON ME I WILL DEFEND MY RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS.

What do they think that one day a nuke or a super bug comes through and were all just gonna cowtail to their bulls*&it and say yes master point me to the camps!!!

I DO NOT ADVOCATE VIOLENCE OF ANY SORT IN ANY MANNER, BUT LET ME SAY THIS. THE DAY THEY COME FOR OUR GUNS AGAIN LIKE THEY DID IN KATRINA WE BETTER FU%$&NG DRAW THE LINE! OTHERWISE AMERICA IS DEAD AS A DOORNAIL!!!!

GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND EVER RED WHITE AND BLUE BLOODED FREE MAN/WOMAN LIVING IN IT!!!!!

WAKE UP PEOPLE DO OUR RESEARCH!!!

THIS IS FOR REAL

INFOWARS.COM

RONPAUL2008.com

PEACE OUT:do2::do2::xmad::xmad::thumbsup:

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    God Bless, I ll tell you this its very simple. Our great nation as we know it dying, its most unfortunate but we are being pushed further and further away from a "free Country" more to a technocratic quasi police state.

HEY OBAMMA SHI&^AG THe 2nd amendment is NOT JUST FOR HUNTERS, IT ALSO FOR OPPRESSIVE AND OVERBEARING GOVERNMENTS!!!

I'm not afraid off terrorism, terrorism cant ban your guns our take away your property or get rid of posse comentatus, or habeas corpus or kill our 4th amendment. ONLY A SICK PERVERTED TWISTED GOVERNMENT CAN DO THAT. and this is FU*&^ING BULL&^%IT WHATS GOING ON!!

WHY CAN WE JUST BE FREE!!! LIKE OUT FOREFATHERS INTENDED!!! DO YOU know how much fu%$# BLOOD WAS spilled so we could get away from this ****ing ********!!!!

TIME TO WAKE UP PEOPLE, I CAN TAKE ALLOT poison my food and my air, lie to us about whats in the vaccines, drive the price of food through the roof take my house cause i cant pay, thats fine,,, BUT DON'T YOU EVER AND I MEAN EVER F&^%ING COME FOR OUR 2nd amendment!

ITS OUR IN alienable RIGHT TO PROTECT OURSELVES AND I FOR ONE WILL NEVER TURN IN MY FIREARMS EVER I DON'T GIVE A F^%CK WHAT HAPPENS, I am A honest law abiding citizen who pays his ass raping to the IRS every year liek a good slave I just wants to live peacefully with my family and my environment, DONT TREAD ON ME I WILL DEFEND MY RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS.

What do they think that one day a nuke or a super bug comes through and were all just gonna cowtail to their bulls*&it and say yes master point me to the camps!!!

I DO NOT ADVOCATE VIOLENCE OF ANY SORT IN ANY MANNER, BUT LET ME SAY THIS. THE DAY THEY COME FOR OUR GUNS AGAIN LIKE THEY DID IN KATRINA WE BETTER FU%$&NG DRAW THE LINE! OTHERWISE AMERICA IS DEAD AS A DOORNAIL!!!!

GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND EVER RED WHITE AND BLUE BLOODED FREE MAN/WOMAN LIVING IN IT!!!!!

WAKE UP PEOPLE DO OUR RESEARCH!!!

THIS IS FOR REAL

INFOWARS.COM

RONPAUL2008.com

PEACE OUT:do2::do2::xmad::xmad::thumbsup:

A MOTHERFUCKING MEN MY BROTHER IN ARMS!

Top Bottom