Can a folding saw to replace a hatchet and/or big chopper?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Assuming you have a 3"-4" fixed blade and maybe a small slicer can a good folding saw replace a hachet / large chopper (think Junglas) for bushcrafting / hiking / survival? I am newish to this type of stuff so please explain why or why not.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Saws are a lot quieter. And I think the return for energy expended is better once you are talking mid sized (6") or larger diameter logs. Get the kind that folds out into a "D" with the blade as the "I" part and the handle as the "C" part. You can use both hands and it goes a lot faster. I can't remember the name of mine right now.... I still carry a knife but for cutting large limbs and logs, the saw is better and lighter than an axe/hatchet/hawk. IMO. That weight adds up in a pack.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have been hiking, backpacking, practicing wilderness survival and bushcraft, and lived in the woods most of my life. I rarely carry either a saw or a hatchet nor do I consider either for essential for survival. I use a $20 machete around the ranch when I am cutting brush, but wouldn't go hiking with it unless I was going through jungle.

Yes, I'd prefer to have a hatchet if I were to decide to go live in the woods away from any civilization for the rest of my life, but I can make one if necessary and it's a lower priority tool.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The chopper will be all around more versatile. Able to clear brush, sharpen stakes, etc. A folding saw could be useful, but if you're taking one or the other, the chopper is the way to go.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Wow, 3 very different opinions in the first 3 responses. That tells me that it really depends on specific chores need to be done and the experience one has.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    While a saw is the perfect tool for "sawing" up wood, that is all it can do. A chopper, machete, or anything with a blade is a much more versatile tool for other tasks besides cutting/sawing up wood. :twocents:

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I really like a folding saw and use one often. I think for the weight the cost vs. benefit equation works for me well. That said Brad is right on a saw is a one trick pony. I often just use a good sturdy knife and no saw or axe and feel fine. Other times I go tool heavy just for fun and take saw,chopper,hatchet and more that a few knives lol.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    While a saw is the perfect tool for "sawing" up wood, that is all it can do. A chopper, machete, or anything with a blade is a much more versatile tool for other tasks besides cutting/sawing up wood. :twocents:

In Indiana, a saw and a knife (not a large chopper but something you can sharpen stakes, cut food, game, rope with) would be enough? What task am I forgetting Brad? Or are you just trying to get me to buy another knife? (J/k)

I guess I build my kit around the idea that I don't want to attract the attention that cutting a trail or hacking at wood would create. Clearly your kit would change based on regional flora and what you were doing in the wilderness in the first place.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Here is another option...

ea93_pocket_chainsaw.jpg
    ea93_pocket_chainsaw_inuse.jpg

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    In Indiana, a saw and a knife (not a large chopper but something you can sharpen stakes, cut food, game, rope with) would be enough? What task am I forgetting Brad? Or are you just trying to get me to buy another knife? (J/k)

I guess I build my kit around the idea that I don't want to attract the attention that cutting a trail or hacking at wood would create. Clearly your kit would change based on regional flora and what you were doing in the wilderness in the first place.

I believe you have covered the general tasks that I was thinking of. While no single tool is the perfect tool that would cover all of these tasks, I think that a blade 3" to 5" is suitable for most tasks other than chopping...now, what do I want to use for preparing my fire wood or shelter support pieces? I personally like a chopper over a saw, simply because it gives me another blade (back-up) that in a pinch could do most of the other tasks that a saw couldn't do. IMO, most of the wood that you will be chopping for burning or shelter prep would be less than 6" in diameter (easy work for a good chopper). For wood larger than that, that I want to burn, I just use the old "Indian Burn" method.....pushing the log into the fire and as it burns, push a new section into the fire and repeat. :twocents:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I keep a silky saw in my bags. they are awesome. I'm a huge knife junky too and especially love the choppers but they amount of effort expended it chopping is much greater than these little saws. They weigh nothing and are very versatile, a lot more so than most people think. You can saw, notch, and even split wood with it using proper technique. If paired up with a knife it's a very valuable tool well worth the little bit of weight they add imo and I do spend a lot of time in the woods using my tools

[video=youtube;lSOXU0rrqOM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOXU0rrqOM[/video]

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    It seems that I rarely get to take an overnight backpack trip, without my teenage son, and some of his friends..Several miles from a road is not the place to have a serious injury, caused by an over zealous untrained teenager with a chopping tool. I am sold on the high quality saws...

lava dog 1/3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    indianapolis
    Hatchets are more versatile. They are made for hammering, splitting, and chopping. Saws are made only for cutting, there is a difference. But a cheap folding saw has it's place. No need to buy high dollar ones. Cheap ones cut just as good. Spend that money somewhere else, like in the knife department.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Hatchets are more versatile. They are made for hammering, splitting, and chopping. Saws are made only for cutting, there is a difference. But a cheap folding saw has it's place. No need to buy high dollar ones. Cheap ones cut just as good. Spend that money somewhere else, like in the knife department.
    i call BS on that one. You take any cheap saw and I will take a silky and out cut you any day of the week. I have run many small saws and by far the silky is tops, nothing even comes close.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I like dry hardwood for my campfires - less flying embers, smoke, and soot and longer lasting than softwoods. Green hardwood doesn't burn worth a darn.

But try using a hatchet to cut dry hardwood! Total waste of time and energy. I always carry a hatchet when camping - backpack or otherwise. But I think I'd rather leave my hatchet behind than my little saw. Also, it's hard to make a flat cut perpendicular to the stick with a knife or hatchet. Stakes and poles that get pounded into the ground work much better when they have a flat face to pound on.

Top Bottom