• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    taking some time soon to go camping and thought I'd see if my destination has updated their rules -- guess not :xmad:

Indiana's Turkey Run State Park - Rules

Any firearm, BB gun, air gun, CO2 gun, bow and arrow, or spear gun in possession in a state park must be unloaded or un-nocked and stored in a case or locked within a vehicle except when participating in an activity authorized by written permit.

7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    im sure scutter will have the correct documentation. im pretty sure that if youre camping, the campsite becomes your domicile pretty sure you can use a firearm to protect your domicile...

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Looks like there is a private campground named Turkey run camp ground. It is 1/2 mile from the state park. Turkey Run state campground is at the state park.

I don't think the DNR has updated the rules for the parks.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Turkey Run is fine for loaded carry. That website is just out of date.

Never had any issues carrying openly there.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Same here, ATM. Thing is, I haven't stayed at the Turkey Run Campground in a long time, like in 15+ years, and I've only been packing for the last 2-3. The campground I'll be staying at is the one .5 miles west of the state park. Always thought it was the same thing. Same signage, same paint.. Just never cared to look. I've shot an email off to the "indiana campground owners association" of which it is a member to see what their rules are. Not saying I'll follow them -- just saying it will determine my method of carry.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Turkey Run's website is out of date on the firearms rules, but the DNR's property rules ARE up to date:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T03120/A00080.PDF

312 IAC 8-2-3 Firearms, hunting, and trapping
    Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-11-2-1; IC 14-22-2-6
    Affected: IC 14-22-11-1; IC 35-47-2
    Sec. 3. (a) A person must not possess a firearm or bow and arrows on a DNR property unless one (1) of the following
    conditions apply:
    (1) The firearm or bow and arrows are:
    (A) unloaded and unnocked; and
    (B) placed in a case or locked within a vehicle.
    (2) The firearm or bow and arrows are possessed at, and of a type designated for usage on:
    (A) a rifle;
    (B) a pistol;
    (C) a shotgun; or
    (D) an archery;
    range.
    (3) The firearm or bow and arrows are being used in the lawful pursuit of either of the following:
    (A) A wild animal on a DNR property authorized for that purpose.
    (B) A groundhog as authorized under a license.
    (4) The person possesses a handgun on a DNR property other than a reservoir owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
    or Falls of the Ohio State Park:
    (A) with a valid unlimited license to carry a handgun:
    (i) issued under IC 35-47-2-3;

Basically, if you are camping, you can't possess a LOADED, UNCASED firearm unless it is a handgun and you are in possession of a valid LTCH.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Finally got an answer from my email, but it was thoroughly disappointing. I want email so I have at least a printed record that can be verified as long as I keep the message in my mailbox (metadata records). I was told by the "association" that I have to contact the individual privately owned campground, and Turkey Run campground doesn't "do" email, and they provided a phone number.. bah.

That said, I didn't have any troubles OC'ing at the campground over the weekend.

Top Bottom