• ...and so much more!
  • 2500ekW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    I'm looking for a good state campground within an hour or so from Indy. I'm not necessarily looking for hiking or anything in particular, just a peaceful place.

The wife is letting me get away by myself for a weekend of relaxing by a fire with a book sometime in the next few months.

Suggestions?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    State Forest Campgrounds are more peaceful than State Parks, and wilderness camping even more so.

Summit lake has a few real nice sites by the water, about an hour out, and with Wilbur Wright across the road, you can go shooting too.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Summit lake has a few real nice sites by the water, about an hour out, and with Wilbur Wright across the road, you can go shooting too.

I agree. We also have a nice county park here in Henry Co. It has a nice campground but does not have a shower/full restroom on site.

It is called Westwood Park. There is a lake on the park that is good fishing. Also has some decent trails for hiking.

mrfsm1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Greenfield
    I agree. We also have a nice county park here in Henry Co. It has a nice campground but does not have a shower/full restroom on site.

It is called Westwood Park. There is a lake on the park that is good fishing. Also has some decent trails for hiking.
    im with this one as well summit is real nice. if ya wanna go a little farther clifty faslls in madison is one of the best veiws in the state.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    im with this one as well summit is real nice. if ya wanna go a little farther clifty faslls in madison is one of the best veiws in the state.

Clifty is worth the drive, but it's not an hour away. Our favorites are Clifty and the Dunes, by far.

Clifty is never too far away!:D I grew up in Madison and cut my hiking teeth in that park. It will always be my favorite park! :rockwoot:

Jeremy05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Greenwood
    what about brown county state park? If you are on the south side of indy you can get there in just about 1hr. Plenty of trails & nice views.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    The Hoosier National Forrest parks have all been VERY nice that my family has stayed at. The quietest of ANY ! Until my family gets there! LOL No really, though......Check out the National Campgrounds.....much less advertised, and therefore , much less frequented. IMO

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    Allens Creek @ Lake Monroe is where we've been going for years. It has all primitive camping sites right on the lake. Rumor has it they might be closing it due to cut backs though.

Top Bottom