• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Has anyone compared Mossy Oak Treestand to realtree? If so, if you didn't know would you be able to tell a difference. Esp on a small scale, say Realtree rifle and Mossy Oak TS scope?

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    The two patterns look nothing alike. I have some Russel gear in MO Treestand. It is an open pattern, where RT is a denser tree/leaf pattern. Both work fine in terms of hunting, it is mostly personal preference really. On a small scale though it all depends on the look that you are going for. I tend to be the type that likes all my camo to match (I know it sounds gay). So I don't like to mix and match camo. Just me though.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    I tend to be the type that likes all my camo to match (I know it sounds gay). So I don't like to mix and match camo. Just me though.

Thanks for the input. I am the same way when it comes to hardware & accessories matching. I know the deer I'm aiming at won't notice regardless! While hunting I mismatch quite often. My T/C Encore Pro Hunter is dressed in AP Realtree. My choices in AP Scopes are the Nikon Omega/Inline or Bushnell Banner. I've also come across a nice deal on a Leupold UltimateSlam for the same as what the Nikon would run. Closest match would be the MOTS. Hence, the question asked in op.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I tend to be the type that likes all my camo to match (I know it sounds gay). So I don't like to mix and match camo. Just me though.

Not just you. I duck hunt and my parka, waders, t-shirt, pants, gloves, face mask, and even my new Stoeger M3500 12ga. is all in Real Tree Max-4.

But for duck its not as much of a choice because you mostly only find Max-4. Even then you only really get the choice between that or Mossy Oak Duck Blind which is a bit tougher to find, and i prefer the Max-4 anyways. Plus the Max-4 blends in much better in the weeds we have here. its pretty good in corn fields as well.

Availability aside i do like to keep my camo matching.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Long time ago at a pre dove hunt check in the Eddie Bauer types (all camo matching, even truck details) gave me the eye............I had on a black rock n roll T shirt, tennis shoes, shiny long 1100 and faded BDU camo pants.

Everybody hung around at the end of the hunt to see who was top dog.

It wasn't anybody with matching camo ;)

Ever since then I make it a point to not wear matching camo on dove hunts :)

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Has anyone compared Mossy Oak Treestand to realtree? If so, if you didn't know would you be able to tell a difference. Esp on a small scale, say Realtree rifle and Mossy Oak TS scope?

I wear AP mostly but do have some Mossy OAK TS gloves and a facemask. Def a huge difference. In terms of hunting I doubt it would make any difference...well I guess we all know it doesn't.

I guess you could argue that from a side view open to the skyline the AP would blend in better than Tree Stand as it has more of a dark appearance suited for blending in with tree trunks and base tree hunting.

What really matters is how do you think it would look on your gun?

Which would you be proud to show off to buddies ;) Sometimes the allure of the deal of getting say a scope cheap overrides my OCD to have a matching item and I actually get a kick out of the deal more so.

Hunting def no diff...most normal guys wont even notice let alone know there are diff camo patterns....OCD gear guys will notice but who the heck cares.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    as far as clothing i don't get all hyped up, i think just earth tone colors covering your entire skin, the most important thing is scent concealment, animals unlike humans relay strongly on there sense of smell so quit moving around cover your sent and they will come , that said i have never foul hunted and i know they do use there eyes so camo would be needed, but still you have to blend into your surrounding. i would use as much natural camo as possible from the area that you are hunting.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    You mean like this?

DSCF1468.jpg

Realtree scope and bibs, Mossy Oak stock. It only matters if you care how they look. My patterns are different because, well, that's what I found good deals on. Just like the coat. Had 2 does stare me down from 4 feet last year. One of them found it's way into my freezer. Sit still and don't smell like a person. The matchy, matchy pattern thing is all a marketing ploy.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I don't think it much matters. Everyone knows Mossy Oak is the best camo ever. Its why I have a full sleeve tattoo of Mossy oak pattern. My friend still swears the only reason he got caught by the cops a long time ago was because he just couldn't get hidden good enough with that Realtree jacket he had on.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I always found the "camo" discussions funny. During archery season it is wear all camo (head to toe, blend in, etc.) cause the deer can "spot you from a mile away"...then rifle comes and it OK to wear a bright orange jacket...cause the "deer are color blind" :laugh: Got to love marketing.

Personally I really like the "Lost Camo" pattern.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I always found the "camo" discussions funny. During archery season it is wear all camo (head to toe, blend in, etc.) cause the deer can "spot you from a mile away"...then rifle comes and it OK to wear a bright orange jacket...cause the "deer are color blind" :laugh: Got to love marketing.

Personally I really like the "Lost Camo" pattern.

I just like having something to argue with people about. There's nothing like a good Realtree vs. Mossy Oak debate.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Well this thread has gotten a little off course, the OP was about a scope on a ML. I'm a little anal about hard wear matching... Regardless, when it comes to clothes I don't give any effort to match patterns. I think it is better to have mismatching patters as it'll break up your outline more. That being said, I don't put too much stock in it. Fred Bear comes to mind, I believe his standard hunting clothes were a red flannel jacket and jeans? Not getting spotted moving and playing the wind are more important than looking like a tree imo.

Top Bottom