• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I need a new camera..Im sick of carrying around my pink polaroid digi camera..yes its pink:rolleyes: my daughter wants to start getting into photography and I figured the pink camera would be good enough to pass down to her{she is 8}
    Im not made of money so Id like to find a good quality camera that wont cause me to eat top ramen for a month. Ive been looking at the Fujifilm FinePix S1000-fd it seems like a good camera and is at the top end of what Im willing to pay. anyone have any experience with this or like models? or perhaps can recommend a nice camera under $300? I love taking photos so itll be used ALOT and it needs to be able to handle a bit of abuse...I dont plan on beating the tar out of it but things happen..:dunno:

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Pick up a used Canon Rebel XT. It should fit in your price range with the 18-55mm "kit" lens. Then you can add on other lenses, flashes, grips etc in the future.

If you are looking for a point and shoot I really like the Canon sd series with image stabilization (IS). I have had a sony dsc-w220 for a while now and it is a great little camera as well.

For most things I will bring the sony for quick snaps, but for more serious trips the rebel XT comes along.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I just bought this one last weekend. Still waiting on it to arrive.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SD940IS-Stabilized-Black/dp/B002LITT6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266515874&sr=8-1"]Canon SD940IS[/ame]

After much reading of reviews, it's the one I deemed worthy of my $225.00
    It's no bigger than a deck of cards.

juan bond

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    I had 2 fuji's in the past and they are a really good camera. The s700 did not like hitting the floor and the warranty was up so we bought a canon sx120is from Sam's club and we are happy with the purchase.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I just bought this one last weekend. Still waiting on it to arrive.

Canon SD940IS

After much reading of reviews, it's the one I deemed worthy of my $225.00
    It's no bigger than a deck of cards.

I was just looking at this one as well. seems like a good camera for the money. there are so many cameras out there it is hard to choose:dunno::):

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I was just looking at this one as well. seems like a good camera for the money. there are so many cameras out there it is hard to choose:dunno::):
    I literally shopped for a new P&S for at least 2 weeks. This is the one I chose based on size, price, functionality, reviews, plus it's tactical black :D. My wife has a Canon SD860 (I think) and it takes awesome photos. This one does 720P HD video too. I also ordered two Patriot 32 GB SDHC cards for $100 on eBay. I should be good to go in a few days. I have a EOS Rebel XTi that I am going to sell. I just don't need that much camera, nor do I even remotely know how to operate it to it's fullest extent. It's got a IS zoom lens too. I posted it on here before but got no hits on it. Probably too much for everyone here too.

is Pentax a good brand?:dunno: I dont think Ive heard of them.
    Pentax has been around for a LONG time. They aren't as mainstream, and I cannot comment on their quality today, but they used to be good SLR cameras.

Stick with the major brands. You can't go wrong.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    If she is going to get into photography, then I suggest a entry level DSLR. A DSLR will help her learn the ropes of photography (in the future, when she is old enough)

I'm a Canon guy, but a Nikon D40 can be had for a little more than your budget.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I've been using the Canon SX10 for a year now. I have over 8,000 pics through it, still love it. It's close to your price point. My next step is an SLR, the SX10 is as close as you can get with a point & shoot. Plus you can toss the chdk hack onto it and make it a monster.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Canon or Nikon are the best. (I'm a Cannon guy.)

I'd look for a used Canon Rebel DSLR so you can add on different style lenses into the future.

If you want to get into photography more, you want a camera that you can change the lenses on. Good photography is more about the lenses than the body.

Also, if you decide to upgrade from the Rebel in the future, you'll be able to keep all your lenses to use on a better body.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I got my camera yesterday. (Canon SD940IS) That thing takes phenomenal pictures, and I like the size of it too. Smaller than a hard pack of smokes. The 32GB card gives me 9999 pictures at maximum res. I think it is probably more, but thats as high as it will read. It will do 180 minutes of 720P HD video on 32GB. I will post some pictures from it as soon as I get a chance to take some gun photos.

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    What everyone else has said about the DSLR is very true. I highly recommend the Canon Rebel in any of the variations. They are great cameras. However, they might be outside of your budget.

For a really good camera that will still have a lot of flexibility AND that offers manual controls, I really recommend the Canon S3IS, S10IS, or any of the S(x)IS models for that matter. They are considered "super-zoom", meaning it has over 10x zoom. They have a ton of features, but can be purchased very reasonably. The photos they take are on par with some DSLRs, and it also has video capability. The ability to manually control the camera would be beneficial for learning some photography tricks. My wife and I each have an S3IS, and I also carry an SD630, along with my Canon Rebel XTi. The SD630 is small enough for pocket use on the motorcycle, or other adventures that I don't want to risk the big cameras on.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Thanks folks.. unfortunately all my extra money has to go into getting a new transmission or rebuild the one thats in it. ticked about that one..stupid car has like 40k miles on it! and of course the warranty expired last year{a week before the fuel pump went out:rolleyes:}

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I have a Canon Powershot that I paid $130 for about 2 years ago. I leave the pic settings on 640x480 and with a 2 gig card it will hold plenty. It does good with vids too. I am going to buy a bigger card for this camera and use the 2 gig for my trail cam.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Do what slacker and flyinlow said, get yourself a digital SLR. But be warned, the actual SLR body is the cheapest thing about the hobby. The glass/lenses and accessories can easily be 1.5x more expensive. However, places like craigslist are your friend. People are always looking to get rid of their older equipment. Slackers suggestion of a Canon Rebel XT (350) is a good solid buy.

Top Bottom