• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    So I am calling around today looking for a nice 1911. I called both Bradis and PSS and received the customer service I expect. A bit gruff, but very helpful just the way I like it.

I then proceeded to call 500 guns. I asked if they had any 1911's in stock and was told they did. I asked what, and repeatedly was asked what I was looking for. I finally rattle off a list of some of the usual suspects and am informed they have some Kimbers. Great, what are they you ask? I still don't know. I was told that most of their guns are used and I should just come in the store and look. I promptly said never mind and hung up.

I just feel that if I am gonna drop a few bills that they guy behind the counter best be willing to get off his &*$# and tell me what he has. It is a 5 second walk over to his counter versus a 40 minute drive for me.

:dunno: Am I over reacting or would you do the same?

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I've noticed that dealers around me are a little more abrupt than they used to be also. I ordered in a gun that my dealer couldn't find, I was there when he opened the package. He about flew through the roof when he opened the box and found that the mailing dealer had forgotten to include a copy of his ffl. (I know it is required, it was an honest mistake that he even admitted to making himself) One quick phone call, and it was faxed within seconds.

I also took in a pistol to try and sell towards the purchase of a rifle in his shop. He shot me such a low offer, that it became clear he didn't want to hassle with my business.

I don't know if sales are so far down that everyone that enters is now a tire kicker, or if something else is gong on. But I am actively searching for a new shop to do business with.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I've talked to bullseye, target sports, down by the tracks, pop guns, and a few others and all have been nice as can be. I will give some special thanks to Beech Grove, they didn't have anything in stock and pointed me in the direction of another dealer.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I've talked to bullseye, target sports, down by the tracks, pop guns, and a few others and all have been nice as can be. I will give some special thanks to Beech Grove, they didn't have anything in stock and pointed me in the direction of another dealer.
    +1 for the grove, been a loyal customer since they opened, i stopped spending my dough at that other, southside gunstore (for the exact reason as mentioned by the op).

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    You gotta think how many dumb-a calls they probably get every day. Lots of people wasting their time they could be spending with the people who actually get off their A's and drive to the store.

They are a retail store, not a phone-in order store.

You can't expect them to sit and rack off every damn gun they have in inventory to you on the phone.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    You gotta think how many dumb-a calls they probably get every day. Lots of people wasting their time they could be spending with the people who actually get off their A's and drive to the store.

They are a retail store, not a phone-in order store.

You can't expect them to sit and rack off every damn gun they have in inventory to you on the phone.

I hear stories from shockabookoo; you'd be amazed by the sheer amount of ignorance flooding into gun stores.

Ignorance and willing to listen and learn is one thing, but thinking you know everything about "FO-FIVES" is much difference.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I don't think you are overreacting. Except for Big R and the new store on the edge of town, it's at least a 45 minute drive to a gun store, and if they don't have what I want or need, I'm liable to find myself driving an hour and a half in another direction. Bradis, PSS, Fort Liberty, Premier Arms, and Pearson Sporting Goods have always been willing to answer my questions and get my business if they have what I'm looking for at the best price. Bradis is last on my list simply because of distance and the place is often a madhouse, but that's hardly their fault. Stores that don't help me on the phone I don't shop, or might drop in if I happen to be driving by anyway. Too many stores willing to offer me the service I need, even though I do understand it's a hassle for them and don't necessarily hold it against them if they are unable/unwilling to help me over the phone.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I understand that this is a gun site, so this post deals with gun dealers. However, if you remove the word "gun" and insert "electronics" or "appliances" or "furniture" etc., etc......it still applies. Customer service isn't what it used to be.

I think it's a sign of changing commerce as well as changing competition. It used to be that you HAD to call around to get compares. No longer. A few simple point and clicks and you can find a good deal. The brick and mortar stores now have to compete with every gun dealer on the internet, regardless of geography.

I am amazed that there are some really good dealers out there that still have ZERO presence on the web (hint, hint to PSS). I bought my very first gun at PSS, but only based on what I had read on here. Without this site, I wouldn't even have known they existed (and I did inform them of that at time of purchase).

You can still get good customer service, but you have to do your part to get it. Instead of "Do you have any 1911's in stock?" which is a really broad question, try to tighten it up and create value for the dealer. Try something like "I've have finally gotten some finances together and am looking for a good 1911 style pistol. Is there anything you have in stock that you might recommend? It's a long drive for me and I'd be willing to come in if you have some interesting guns in stock."

You have to create a value proposition for the dealer in order for them to spend time on the phone and take time away from potential customers already in the shop or other duties in the shop that need their attention.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I worked at a gun shop during college and you wouldn't believe some of the calls I got. It's one thing if you are looking for a particular item and want to know if the dealer had that item but some ppl want your entire inventory, price and condition of each one. Would you call HH Greg and ask what kind of TVs they had in stock and the price of each one? I think the worst by far is when someone calls and asks how much can they get out of their XYZ Pistol? You could also tell when ppl were calling to see if the price that a gun they want to buy from their buddy is good or not. I'm not defending rude behavior but when you have tire kickers calling every shop in town just to ask what your inventory is when there are paying customers in the store it gets a little old. The old saying that time is money is just as true in the gun business as anything else. This is just IMHO though, your thoughts may vary.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    With all due respect to you, expecting a shop to entertain your call while you run down a "christmas wish list", is ignorant. If you do not have a narrowed idea of what model,mfg, or price you are looking for,why waste the shop's time. Remember the shop is open to the public and one would assume there are customers,with cash, live and in person standing in the store waiting to do business. And if those customers are not satisifyed with THEIR live experance, the shop does not make a sale, and the end result is a out of business gun store. Now who you going to call.

My experance tells me 99% of shops will gladly order any thing you want, maybe not at the price you want. Besides if you do the saturday GUN SHOP CRAWL, maybe you will be lucky to meet fellow INGO members.:dunno:

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I sold guns for more years than I care to admit. Its a numbers game. If you are competitively priced, you have a very low margin. If someone called in and I had no customers, I would give them all my attention. However, if people were stacked up at the counter that took the time to drive in and were ready to spend money, they deserved more of my attention. And I agree with the other member, its one thing if you say, Im looking for a certain model, do you have it and how much is it. Its another to listen to your BS stories about your grandpa's 1911 he used to have that he let you shoot on sunday after church.
    What I hated most was the guys that would have thier wifes call in and they were in the backgraound. "Ask him if he has a Davis chrome 25!"... ask him how much is it. WHatever! There are some serious lazy people out there.
    So yes, you're over reacting

DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    Temp move down here in SC and let me tell you what. (helping family)
    What your talking about being bad I would thank them for.
    For a pro gun state these people are just about all potty words.
    2 stores of the 15 I have went into are ok with people skills.
    1 is a bit high and the other is very small has to order most everything.

Can't wait till I get to come home.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I think the gun stores get so many calls from people price shoping or another store calling so that they can price match for the customer there that after a while it get's annoying....

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    Has anyone gave any thought into the dealers world.They have overhead costs and shipping costs that most don't understand.Then you involve GM and DICKS etc that buy in major orders and get a discount.Gunshops have a hard time getting by with the competition from major supply chains.Are you willing to put mom and pop out of business to save a dime?Some people just don't have pride anymore.Walk a mile in their shoes before passing judgement.

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    well i agree with most of you guys on this subject..ive been in a local gunshop that i frequent , alot of times guys call and want to just chat...ask your questions and get off the phone ...most of time there are guys trying to actually buy stuff in there. But you also need to know if they have what you are looking for before you waste your trip...I see both sides ...but when you call a shop ..dont keep them on the phone telling them about your day and so on ....THANKS FOR READING

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Spasmo spent the last two weeks trying to acquire a TacSol XRing 10/22 receiver for me. She told me that none of the stores she called would help her. The ones that actually picked up the phone all told her to call someone else or call the manufacturer herself. The rest never returned her messages. I'm at a loss to explain that sort of customer service. She had money in hand waiting to hand it to the first person who offered to help her and they all told her to pound sand. :dunno:

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I find some of the replies interesting. One dealer out of 10 was lazy and down right rude. This was no Christmas list. It was a single style of firearm, even narrowed it down to a specific type. (full size, and one or two had no idea what that meant) The most any store claimed to have was 5. Many stores had 0 or only one low end model.

Working with the general public is a chore. I do it everyday. Some days I really just cannot wait to get away from people, however I never let customers know it. It isn't their fault what the guy before them did, or their problem what I expect from the next one. What matters is that each of them gets the same level of service, and that each one wants to come back. In this case this particular store treated me poorly. In return they lost potential revenue not only for this sale, but for every purchase I make in the future.

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    Spasmo spent the last two weeks trying to acquire a TacSol XRing 10/22 receiver for me. She told me that none of the stores she called would help her. The ones that actually picked up the phone all told her to call someone else or call the manufacturer herself. The rest never returned her messages. I'm at a loss to explain that sort of customer service. She had money in hand waiting to hand it to the first person who offered to help her and they all told her to pound sand. :dunno:
    Did you try TSG?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    However, if you remove the word "gun" and insert "electronics" or "appliances" or "furniture" etc., etc......it still applies. Customer service isn't what it used to be.

this.

I hardly think the OP was out of line. I seriously doubt 500 Guns had so many 1911s that the salesguy couldn't look and see what was in stock.

as for tirekickers, get a new job if you don't like it. dealing with ignorance and sheer stupidity is part of the retail game.

Top Bottom