• ...and so much more!
  • KCJarman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Noblesville
    Hello all,

I am fairly new to reloading and I am looking for some advise on bullet selection. I will be loading .40 S&W as well as 357 sig. I have looked into Precision Black Bullets (synthetic coated) as well as Barry's Bullets. I will be using these for Steel / USPSA in a Springfield XD. I have two barrels for it. A 2 port 40 S&W barrel and a Match Grade Springfield 357 (Stock) barrel.

The difference in price between the Barry's and Black Bullets are pretty drastic, but keeping in mind my use for them, do you have a suggestion or different recommendation?

Thank you!!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    We have been reloading Berry's Copper washed in our glocks now for years. NEVER a single issue. We buy all of the product at the 1500 and save on shipping! That's all I've got. HTH RNM

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've been using Berry's with good results in 357 Sig. They don't like to be pushed faster than 1250fps or so, and they don't like heavy crimping that breaks the plating. Stick with the flat points, the round nose doesn't work well with the limited bearing surface you get with the bottleneck case.

If you want to load 357 Sig to its potential, look into a FMJ/TMJ (not plated) bullet. They'll be even more expensive than the Berry's.

I've used Berry's for 10mm and 45ACP in the past as well.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I wouldn't run plated bullets much faster than lead velocity levels. If you want to run them fast and hot, buy FMJ bullets.

Addition:

I recently purchased some Federal Champion 9mm (loaded with a plated bullet) and there is a new warning on the packaging that states not for use in ported or compensated firearms. I can only guess they've had problems with plating separation in those barrels. Something for you to think about.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I use Missouri Bullet 170gr SWC with No.7 in my XD-40 and it is the most accurate bullet I've loaded. $34/500. They also have a 155gr SWC, a 140gr, 180gr, and 200gr TC. They also have 9mm bullets. A buddy of mine tried them, I think the 125gr, and they have a pretty short ogive and he had to reduce COL so they would chamber.

My barrel isn't ported, YMMV.

Best price I've seen on jacketed bullets lately, same price as plated, is from Rocky Mountain Reloading or Roze, but Roze never has anything in stock it seems.

KCJarman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Noblesville
    Thank you for the responses thus far. I am aware of the caution for using coated bullets in a ported barrel. I would steer clear of that as well.

Are the Barry's bullets the best price for performance? And is this the best choice for my 357 Sig reloads? 9mm plated pistol bullets

KCJarman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Noblesville
    I use Missouri Bullet 170gr SWC with No.7 in my XD-40 and it is the most accurate bullet I've loaded. $34/500. They also have a 155gr SWC, a 140gr, 180gr, and 200gr TC. They also have 9mm bullets. A buddy of mine tried them, I think the 125gr, and they have a pretty short ogive and he had to reduce COL so they would chamber.

My barrel isn't ported, YMMV.

Best price I've seen on jacketed bullets lately, same price as plated, is from Rocky Mountain Reloading or Roze, but Roze never has anything in stock it seems.

I'm not seeing a FN 9mm selection...... that would keep me from using them in 357 Sig...:(

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'm not seeing a FN 9mm selection...... that would keep me from using them in 357 Sig...:(

Not unless you want 147gr. The Accurate reloading guide lists RN bullets for the .357 Sig. But you'll have to watch out, the .357 Sig can push 115gr and 125gr plated bullets too fast.

You could always contact MB, if they see enough demand, they will get a new mold.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have used several thousand black bullets in ..45 acp. They were all used in target velocity loads, tuned for 25 yard accuracy, not high velocity. They shot very well as well as very clean. Since National bullet closed in Eastlake, Ohio closed up, I have been using Berrys or Rainier bullets in the 9mm and .40, with the same result. I do not think a person could go wrong either way. For high velocity loads, I use true jacketed bullets.

Top Bottom