Calling all LEOs. I have some questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I figured this would be the best place to ask this.

I have thought about looking into becoming an LEO, and naturally I have some questions.

First off, what all is involved? Is it anything at all like the Police Academy movies? :): Seriously though, I haven't researched it much, because I don't know where to start. I don't even know what questions to ask. Can any of the LEOs on here give me some insight into this, maybe even just point me in the right direction? What made you get into this field? Why do you stay in this field? I realize I would probably be taking a pay cut from my current job, but would it be worth it? I have decent job security right now, but if anything were to happen to my Uncle (who I sub-contract for), then I would be up that proverbial creek.

Maybe at some point I could look into doing a ride-a-long with one of you, if possible, to see if this is something I would still be interested in.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Nick I can set up a ride-along with a good friend of mine. He's just a few counties south. It will really give you a feel of the day-in and day-out aspects.

I've done it like 5 times this year! lol

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Nick I can set up a ride-along with a good friend of mine. He's just a few counties south. It will really give you a feel of the day-in and day-out aspects.

I've done it like 5 times this year! lol
    What all is in involved with that? What did you think of it?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    You cannot carry during the ride along. You also have to sign a disclaimer before going.

It's really fun. You see the situations from a new perspective.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Nick, I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone considering a career in law enforcement, or for those who just like to have a good time and learn something new. It will change your perspective.

Here is what it basically involves:

I meet the officer (my friend) at a pre-determined location. (We meet in a Burger King parking lot)

I jump in his car and we head to his station. I fill out and sign a waiver that basically states that I'm a good person and will obey the officer's commands. I also sign that I won't carry a weapon or get out of the car. (however, he shows me the locations of his other weapons in the car to make sure I can access them in a SHTF situation)

Then we get back to the car and the fun begins. You sit and chat while figuring out what you're going to do. Maybe pull over some speeders, investigate some suspicious types, do lunch or dinner at some point. And of course answer calls of service. There's nothing like going 110mph with lights and sirens blaring!

And it can vary from time to time. Once I got a tour of the jail facilities. Once we spent the entire shift dealing with just one drunk/stoned/drugged guy. It all depends on the day.

Hope that helps.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Nick, I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone considering a career in law enforcement, or for those who just like to have a good time and learn something new. It will change your perspective.

Here is what it basically involves:

I meet the officer (my friend) at a pre-determined location. (We meet in a Burger King parking lot)

I jump in his car and we head to his station. I fill out and sign a waiver that basically states that I'm a good person and will obey the officer's commands. I also sign that I won't carry a weapon or get out of the car. (however, he shows me the locations of his other weapons in the car to make sure I can access them in a SHTF situation)

Then we get back to the car and the fun begins. You sit and chat while figuring out what you're going to do. Maybe pull over some speeders, investigate some suspicious types, do lunch or dinner at some point. And of course answer calls of service. There's nothing like going 110mph with lights and sirens blaring!

And it can vary from time to time. Once I got a tour of the jail facilities. Once we spent the entire shift dealing with just one drunk/stoned/drugged guy. It all depends on the day.

Hope that helps.
    Yea, that's definitely something I would like to do. Where does your friend work out of? Is there a chance I could ride along with him?

That helps, but it would be nice to hear from some LEOs as well. I guess they're all busy fighting crime and hanging out with Scruff McGruff. :):

ick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    NWI
    I'd be down for a ride-along as well. Not that I'm in anyplace in my life to drop **** and become a LEO. Nick, on the other hand, go for it. :)

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    I used to be LEO. My husband has been for years. If you can get on with a small department it usually works best...gets you some experience that will help if you want to go to a bigger city. Some of the small towns have nicer equiptment than the bigger ones. Once you are hired you get scheduled for the Law Enforcement Academy--that school is about 3 months now I think and you live there except on weekends. There are pretty high standards for physical fitness, lots of law review and range time. Once you are through the academy most departments expect you to stick around for at least a couple of years since it is a big financial investment for them. After you are out you usually have a Field Training Officer that you ride with for a set period of time....varies by department and how good you are. Then you are on your own. Once you are "on the job" you hear about openings in other departments and can fill out applications and go through their hiring process.

I loved being on the road. You have to be very sure of yourself and how you will deal with situations. There are a lot of officers who are scared to death every day and that is not good. Not only does it feel good to get one of the bad guys but you also have an opportunity to really help people. My favorite stories do not include high speed chases, although they are a rush, but finding elderly people who have wandered from home in the middle of the night in sub-freezing temps and you get them back home safely. Helping a child deal with the aftermath of a domestic....that kind of thing. My husband does it for those reasons as well so it isn't about me being all maternal and stuff. Do the ride alongs, talk to officers and then if it still appeals to you go for it!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    AnnieOakley:

If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to stop being a LEO? If that's none of my business, I apologize for asking.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    No. It's fine that you ask. I got sick with a chronic condition that causes me to have a lot of "brain fade" and pain. Not exactly what any one wants to see in a LEO.:) I had hoped that with time it would get better but it has been 10 years so it looks like I am just going to have to be content with ride alongs and hearing hubby's stories. Made me very sad.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Thanks for sharing AnnieOakley. I think law enforcement is such an interesting and important career. I'm looking forward to going on a ride-along in the next few weeks with my friend who is a police officer.

Top Bottom