Calling all INGO lawyers, lawdogs, and armchair quarterbacks - is this legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Milltown, Indiana - here's one of the titles of city ordinances...

Town of Milltown Indiana Ordinances, Title Six: Health, Peace, Safety, and Sanitation

Here's the very serious Titanium_Frost-style rub, in case in you're too busy or TL; DR -

Discharging of firearms within city limits prohibited except for government, et. al. privileged classes and landed gentry; if you're a shooting sports competitor you need a bond of $100,000. Violators face a fine of $150 AND/OR forfeiture of firearm(s) discharged. The latter part of this clearly seems to me to be not only an abridgment of our entire nation's traditions, but also a clear infringement upon and circumvention of the Second Amendment of our national Constitution as well as Article I, Section 32 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana. It's obviously not legal to require forfeiture of arms - nor would I expect any sane American to do so.

Additionally, don't State regulations pre-empt precisely this style of ordinance?

I would really appreciate the input from our resident lawdogs and even our plethora of armchair QBs. How can Milltown get away with having this ordinance on the books?

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Preemption covers ownership, not discharging of your firearm.

With that being said, Indianas Castle law protects you from civil or criminal liability while in your home or car, in a self defense scenario.

As for confiscation if you do discharge your weapon, I don't know.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sounds like a ridiculous law, but I don't see how it is relevant to the 2nd Amendment

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    In a defense shooting, LE will probably collect the weapon for evidence anyhow. If you are shooting inside city limits in your back yard....

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    In a defense shooting, LE will probably collect the weapon for evidence anyhow. If you are shooting inside city limits in your back yard....

I'm not talking about what-ifs here. I'm talking about a political sub-division of the State of Indiana enshrining in local ordinance the ability to confiscate arms from those who have committed neither misdemeanor or felony. How is this possible?

I'd give a cup of coffee to have Kirk or Guy or Hough chime in on this, because I do not understand how this is possible.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think he just wants to know if it's legal/what force of law is behind a city ordinance. We all know that discharging a firearm in our back yards is generally frowned upon and that a SD situation will usually end up with you surrendering said firearm.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I think he just wants to know if it's legal/what force of law is behind a city ordinance. We all know that discharging a firearm in our back yards is generally frowned upon and that a SD situation will usually end up with you surrendering said firearm.

I suppose that this is precisely what I'm asking/wondering. How possible?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I do not believe the forfeiture part will fly.

Thank you for being the first lawdog to chime in. May I ask as to why/why not or your reasoning? My understanding is the fact that since any violation of ordinance would be an infraction and not a misdemeanor or felony and thus the due process clause kicks in, making confiscation impossible. Thus my confusion. But I am not a lawdog and admit that I could be wrong or confused or stupid or possibly all of the above. I just do not get it.

Last edited:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    The "and/or" can account for the addition of criminal recklessness.

But wouldn't that be a different charge, the misdemeanor or felony (I don't know which 'criminal recklessness' qualifies) being an entirely distinct if related offense and thus not subsequent to the authority of the ordinance at all? If the fact pattern might include both an ordinance violation and the criminal recklessness above, for instance, how does local ordinance authority derive the power to confiscate property on its own without triggering the 'life, liberty or property' due process clause or without relying on superior State or national law? How can, I guess in my round-about way of asking, local ordinance be more strict than State or national law particularly as the local might conflict with the State or national?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thank you for being the first lawdog to chime in. May I ask as to why/why not or your reasoning? My understanding is the fact that since any violation of ordinance would be an infraction and not a misdemeanor or felony and thus the due process clause kick in making confiscation impossible. Thus my confusion. But I am not a lawdog and admit that I could be wrong or confused or stupid or possibly all of the above. I just do not get it.

My reasoning is that state law preempts ANY local ordinance that affects the "ownership or possession" of a firearm. All this talk about "criminal recklessness" is all fine and dandy, but that's a state statute, not a local ordinance. Of course, state statutes that affect the ownership or possession of firearms can still be enforced, but a "political subdivision" can not enact its own punishment for an ordinance violation that affects the ownership or possession of a firearm. That's preempted.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    My reasoning is that state law preempts ANY local ordinance that affects the "ownership or possession" of a firearm. All this talk about "criminal recklessness" is all fine and dandy, but that's a state statute, not a local ordinance. Of course, state statutes that affect the ownership or possession of firearms can still be enforced, but a "political subdivision" can not enact its own punishment for an ordinance violation that affects the ownership or possession of a firearm. That's preempted.

That makes a lot of sense to me and was sort of my reasoning or thoughts on it. Which is why this confuses me. Thank you for your input, this helps put things in perspective.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I have family in Milltown, IN and practically grew up there. It is a very small town and I would not be surprised if some of their laws on the books are in need of an update.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I have family in Milltown, IN and practically grew up there. It is a very small town and I would not be surprised if some of their laws on the books are in need of an update.

That's the thing, the ordinance was revised or put on the books in 1996, if I'm reading it correctly. Not exactly one of those old weird from-the-1800s laws. But it is a small town, upon research, and I just wonder if maybe the town council doesn't understand that they can't pass or uphold an ordinance that says what this particular ordinance says.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    That's the thing, the ordinance was revised or put on the books in 1996, if I'm reading it correctly. Not exactly one of those old weird from-the-1800s laws. But it is a small town, upon research, and I just wonder if maybe the town council doesn't understand that they can't pass or uphold an ordinance that says what this particular ordinance says.
    It may be so. When I say small town, I mean they have one food market and they're stuck in the eighties. No knock on 80's folks, but Duran Duran is still their go-to music :) Their one claim to fame is home of Cave Country Canoes in a shop right next to the blue river by the dam.

Don't get me wrong, I love the people and their small town life, but most of their laws probably don't go through much scrutiny.They didn't have any active police force until 6 years ago. Now they have 2 or 3 officers total with a volunteer fire Dept.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The ordinance prohibiting discharge would likely be found lawful. I am . . . distressed at the sanction which includes forfeiture, 6.50.040(2).

I believe it overbroad, a taking AND preempted by state statute.

Top Bottom