• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    California’s Assembly voted to require that public-school textbooks include the accomplishments of gay Americans, sending the measure to Governor Jerry Brown for his signature.

California would be the first state to mandate the teaching of gay history if Brown, a 73-year-old Democrat, signs the bill into law. The bill directs social-science classes to include the “role and contributions” of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people.’’ It was approved by the state Senate in April.

Today’s vote has implications for the textbook industry because California is the largest buyer in the U.S., accounting for almost 13 percent of the $3.4 billion market in 2009, according to the Association of American Publishers. Schoolbook publishers typically try to sell California-approved texts to other states.

Read more on Newsmax.com: California Lawmakers Order Gay History Included in Textbooks
    Important: Do You Support Pres. Obama's Re-Election? Vote Here Now!

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    You know, I think I will complain that my group isn't getting enough recognition too.

When was the last time you saw anything in a history book about middle-aged, grey haired, gun owning lumber salespeople with appendectomy scars? My group is being denied their recognition and I demand our place in history!!!!

Seriously, the history books should cover people and events that had an impact on us as Americans and as human beings, not because they fit into a certain social agenda.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Government schools, government rules. Don't like the curriculum? Withdraw your kids. Don't withdraw the kids? Don't *****.

Lots of "groups" are represented in the history books. This is just adding another. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    this is one more reason I plan to home school or send my kids to private school when my wife and I start having them. That being said the state government dictates curriculum since they are the ones who pays the bills.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would understand talking about gay rights in school but "gay history" is just stupid.
    Who cares if the great men and women who made american history where gay or straight or had no sexuality at all.
    It's only important what they did.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    This is the stupidity that has driven the numbers of home schooled children through the roof. Private school enrollments are soaring and the public education system spirals in decline year after year. These same idiots are making our laws...and we're just stupid enough to keep letting them. Would last one out, please shut off the lights.

slyton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Albany
    Let force this history into text books, and just smear away other facts in place of this cause there are only so many pages. It really does not matter cause they are teaching for the exams anyway, so if person is gay or not is on the exam they will need to know it; if not it will not be taught anyway.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't see the whole point of pointing out minority accomplishments as special. If you truly want equal rights, then make it a non-issue. To me, to say "this guy is gay, look what he did" sends a message of "being gay should hold you back, but not if you're Harvey Milk cuz he's more awesome than you." Likewise, "being black means you're going to sell drugs, but not if you're BHO cuz he's more awesome than you." I don't look at JFK and think people should be forced to learn about him because he was Catholic. They should know about him because he was a president. Know the man by his actions and his character, not some label you want to place on him.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What you all may not understand here is that there are sooo many freakin' people in California that textboox publishers make all their books for California. They're not going to publish a special version for Indiana.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Government schools, government rules. Don't like the curriculum? Withdraw your kids. Don't withdraw the kids? Don't *****.

Lots of "groups" are represented in the history books. This is just adding another. Nothing to see here.

One problem. It is my tax money. I can ***** all I want when it is my money that is funding this crap.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    One problem. It is my tax money. I can ***** all I want when it is my money that is funding this crap.

Your right about that, nothing new with the ca legislature gobbeling up federal tax money and forcing it's collective opinion on the rest of the country. They have been doing it for years and dc makes it happen.

Top Bottom