• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    OK.... This might be similar to a 9mm vs .40 thread, but if I said that in the title, you wouldn't have clicked on it....

The usual arguments for 9mm is low cost and availability... BUT, as far as I've seen, there is very little cost difference between 9mm and .40 anymore. I was at Cabelas last week and there was roughly 5 times as much .40 as 9mm on the shelves.

What gives?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I always seem to notice more .40 than anything else. The theory I've always heard was that so many police departments use .40 that the manufacturers make it a high priority, hence why there is so much of it. That could be complete BS, but it's what I've heard and it makes sense to me.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    It's a matter of taste.

I got tied up in 9mm Luger long ago, KelTek and Marlin carbine, plus reloading kit, and I hoard only 9x19 now. But if it's gonna stay cheap enough long enough, I'll buy a 40cal. for plinkin'. Probably Glock.
    (Is bacon better, or is prosciutto? It's all pig; so pi$$ off a moslem and eat either! ) Pat

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Just carry something that fires a 20x124 mm.
    You'll never lose another "Caliber war" at the range :)

As for 9mm vs .40 S&W.
    Since I believe hits count more than how big those hits are. And I know I can shoot a 9mm quickly and accurately. I don't see a reason to carry a .40 or a .45. By carrying a 9mm I reduce the number of calibers I keep on hand by at least one as well since the wife also shoots 9mm.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Since I believe hits count more than how big those hits are. And I know I can shoot a 9mm quickly and accurately. I don't see a reason to carry a .40 or a .45. By carrying a 9mm I reduce the number of calibers I keep on hand by at least one as well since the wife also shoots 9mm.

:+1:

I couldn't say it better myself. At my "RNM Trauma Class" we actually discuss this in depth. I use plenty of visual aids for caliber vs caliber effects on the human body.

The Results.... If you can shoot your hand cannon as efficiently as you can your .380, go for it. Otherwise hits (on vital organs) count and misses don't.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Not when folks are hording......

:rofl:

I shoot about 500 rounds a month, consistently over the last 3yrs with my Glock19, I am not LEO, nor military. It cost me about $140/1k. I am hording nothing, and find all I want.
    :soapbox:

The following is not a reflection of you edsinger, just a rant to those who complain non-stop about ammo.

If it is a priority to you, then you will find it where you need to. Yes I reload, and I am tired of the worn out excuse on how much those systems costs to get into. Especially when folks pay $125 a month on a cable bill and $100 a month for cell service and who knows what else.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX

I shoot about 500 rounds a month, consistently over the last 3yrs with my Glock19, I am not LEO, nor military. It cost me about $140/1k. I am hording nothing, and find all I want.

The following is not a reflection of you edsinger, just a rant to those who complain non-stop about ammo.

If it is a priority to you, then you will find it where you need to. Yes I reload, and I am tired of the worn out excuse on how much those systems costs to get into. Especially when folks pay $125 a month on a cable bill and $100 a month for cell service and who knows what else.

[threadjack]
    Would you consider letting me come by some day to get a primer on reloading?
    [/threadjack]

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN

Seeing WAY more .40 than 9mm at wally-world.

Reloading is way too expensive!! Welp... off to watch tv and make a few phone calls on the good ol' iphone :scared:

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    I wouldn't take a thing away from RNM, but I can attest that IGW puts on a very good reloading class.

+1 Great Guy, and taught me a bunch as well!!! Any firearm you got bring it there!! I don't endorse a lot but he really helped me out and pointed me in the right direction when it came to my guns!

:rockwoot:(In fact i think he still has one) :rockwoot:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    What gives?

Supply/demand have been disturbed by last Fall's election and uncertainty over what the current leftist administration will do. That's it.

Twice as much 9mm is mfg. as other centerfire pistol calibers. That's a fact. But if demand is also twice as much, what you see (or don't see) on the shelves is the result.

.40 S&W currently comes in 3rd in terms of popularity among shooters from the data I've seen (still behind 9mm and .45acp). Apparently the interaction between this relatively lower demand, and whatever the supply is has resulted in what we see on the shelves. There does seem to be a fair amound of .40 S&W around.

These things eventually work themselves out. It is what it is.

:dunno:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana

Oh I have ammo, check here

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...9mm_personal_defense_and_other_ammo_list.html

Thing is I can not find 9mm unless its ~$15+ per 50 and that is not right. I got lucky and found some federal FMJ for $10 so I bought 6 boxes.

They have had 40cal for weeks at ~$15 per 50.....

9mm is just the most in demand. They get WWB for $22 per $100 which isnt bad I guess.

As for reloading, I have been considering but I would do .44 and 5.56, not 9mm.

I just dont know if I want to yet..

Top Bottom