C&R License...What / How have you bought?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I recently acquired a C&R. First occasion to try it was at the CP show this weekend. Decently priced 1897 shotgun. I asked if they could s use the C&R on the sale. They said no as the gun had a SN#. News to me. Stopped by again and he said that he would have to do a regular transfer 4473 and I'd have to wait a day (cooling off period) since I was from Illinois. I didn't argue with the guy as I just got the C&R and likely don't know all the rules yet. I didn't buy the gun, and I'm trying to learn more.

Educate me!

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I recently acquired a C&R. First occasion to try it was at the CP show this weekend. Decently priced 1897 shotgun. I asked if they could s use the C&R on the sale. They said no as the gun had a SN#. News to me. Stopped by again and he said that he would have to do a regular transfer 4473 and I'd have to wait a day (cooling off period) since I was from Illinois. I didn't argue with the guy as I just got the C&R and likely don't know all the rules yet. I didn't buy the gun, and I'm trying to learn more.

Educate me!

If you have a C&R, they sent you a pile of books that explain what it is and isn't. If the guy doesn't understand that a C&R grants you "licensee" status for certain firearms, I would kindly explain to him that you have an FFL and that the waiting period and 4473 are unnecessary. If he won't complete the transaction, just keep walking.

I won't fill out 4473s for C&R guns. If they won't sell them to me on my license, I'm not interested in doing business.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Well then you won't be doing a lot of business at gunshows. No one HAS to take your C&R and most gunshow vendors are afraid to. A lot of local shops don't really quite have a handle on it either.

The ones that do understand and take C&R's are the online dealers like AIM, SOG, etc., and other C&R holders. Especially the collectors online at places like surplusrifleforum.com and gunboards.com

You didn't really do anything wrong... and don't be surprised at how many gunshops you go to won't understand what a C&R is or how to handle it.... and some won't even handle it right even when they do know.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Boiled Owl,

I have done a lot of purchases over the internet w/ C&R dealers. I have had to mail them a copy of my C&R license first.

At gun shows I have yet to have a problem, but I have only made a few purchases at gun shows.

I will generally tell them I have a C&R FFL for firearms that qualify. If they still want to dink around and do that other paperwork I will explain to them that I don't need to do that and keep walking. Gun stores are the same way.

However, I will try to build a small relationship first w/ a dealer just by talking to him/her a bit before the purchase. Perhaps this is why I haven't had trouble.

Good luck w/ your new found freedom!

Regards,

Doug

PS - When I do have firearms shipped to me I will usually call UPS to change to a pickup as I don't want people seeing the "long boxes" delivered. Not good to tempt local teenagers and/or ner-do-wells.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I like that last idea.

I swear it seems like every vendor I dealt with (except private sales obviously) wanted to do a 4473 even after I showed them the C&R. Even Bradis will want you to fill in a 4473 and staple a C&R copy to it rather than just log it out to you as a dealer transfer.... but the law says they can do what they want to establish identity, so I didn't argue it further.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Got a Romanian TT-33 from Aimsurplus. They are great to deal with and very fast shipping. Got a yugo M24/47 Mauser from Samco Global for the next purchase. It took two weeks for them to even charge my card and another week and a half to ship. Send a copy of your C&R out to as many online shops as possible. You may not get to check the guns out personally but you usually get cheaper pricing.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    If you have a C&R, they sent you a pile of books that explain what it is and isn't.

I just got the C&R. Haven't got the stack of books that "will ship later". Just went by the list on ATF website.

I explained to my 12 YO that I was a nice shotgun and I think I'm right but not sure, it wasn't worth a battle.

Downzero: do you find that you have to educate dealers on the C&R a lot?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

As I recall the BATFE has actually moved into the 21st century! Yes, as much as I gripe about many things they are making moves toward improvement.

Regarding the books you now have a choice! Yes, that is right. You either get the books w/ binding, glue, pages, paper, etc OR you get a shiny new CD Rom w/ all the stuff in digital form.

Regards,

Doug

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I take the book with me and once I show the dealer the book where it says it is a C&R I normally don't have anymore problems.

I explain it like this...
    "you can't buy machine guns on your FFL...well I can't buy guns younger than 50 years old on mine...just a different level"

harleyrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Mooresville
    Boiled Owl,

I have done a lot of purchases over the internet w/ C&R dealers. I have had to mail them a copy of my C&R license first.

At gun shows I have yet to have a problem, but I have only made a few purchases at gun shows.

I will generally tell them I have a C&R FFL for firearms that qualify. If they still want to dink around and do that other paperwork I will explain to them that I don't need to do that and keep walking. Gun stores are the same way.

However, I will try to build a small relationship first w/ a dealer just by talking to him/her a bit before the purchase. Perhaps this is why I haven't had trouble.

Good luck w/ your new found freedom!

Regards,

Doug

PS - When I do have firearms shipped to me I will usually call UPS to change to a pickup as I don't want people seeing the "long boxes" delivered. Not good to tempt local teenagers and/or ner-do-wells.

Good advice. My USPS rural carrier has a habit of signing for me and leaving the long boxes on the open porch. :rolleyes: Convenient yes, but very risky.

HR

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Carp32
    Top Bottom