• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    A neat idea, but one filled with disappointment. BTDT, in E-ville with the P-47 project. As soon as people start to get interested, someone will try to hog the limelight, no one wants to work on it, and very few donate money.

I hope they can do it, but know from past experience it's an uphill battle all the way.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    A neat idea, but one filled with disappointment. BTDT, in E-ville with the P-47 project. As soon as people start to get interested, someone will try to hog the limelight, no one wants to work on it, and very few donate money.

I hope they can do it, but know from past experience it's an uphill battle all the way.

like the P-38 that was dug out of the ice it often turns into a mess and with people arguing.........

I can think of 2-3 people that would love to work on that P-47.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    like the P-38 that was dug out of the ice it often turns into a mess and with people arguing.........

I can think of 2-3 people that would love to work on that P-47.

Yeah, Glacier Girl was a prime example of backbiting that takes place. Unfortunately, the P-47 we had burned with the warehouse it was being kept in on Morgan Ave. The group that was supposed to be responsible, wasn't and didn't carry any insurance on it. Someone very close to me ate $50K on this venture, so yeah, I might be a little jaded on the entire event.

The best thing that happened out of all of this was the groundswell of interest and some of the connections that were re-established after 4 or more decades. Not long after all of this went up in smoke (quite literally) another P-47 was re-born at Clark Cty. airport. That was one beautiful airplane let me tell you.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yeah, Glacier Girl was a prime example of backbiting that takes place. Unfortunately, the P-47 we had burned with the warehouse it was being kept in on Morgan Ave. The group that was supposed to be responsible, wasn't and didn't carry any insurance on it. Someone very close to me ate $50K on this venture, so yeah, I might be a little jaded on the entire event.

The best thing that happened out of all of this was the groundswell of interest and some of the connections that were re-established after 4 or more decades. Not long after all of this went up in smoke (quite literally) another P-47 was re-born at Clark Cty. airport. That was one beautiful airplane let me tell you.

It's why I like restoration shops like the Smithsonian and Wright-Patt..... none of that garbage to deal with.... you go and work on some great birds and go home...

What is really sickening is that after the war you could get some of these birds for a dime a dozen..... even if you got one and let it sit and rot you would still make money considering a basket case striped down P-38 is still going for A LOT last I heard. I think one owner told me 200k for one that was 100% stripped.

Top Bottom