• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I am considering buying a car at a dealer in Illinois. (let the jokes begin)
    Anyone have any experience with this? What is involved with temporary plates and such? Would Il. temp plates be ok in Indiana until I got it registered here?
    :dunno:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The temp plate should be fine, but when you go to the license branch with your paperwork they will verify the vin number on the vehicle itself.

Shouldn't be that much different then buying in Indiana somewhere.
    That has been my experience atleast.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I think Brandon's reply is about right. Shouldn't be too bad. But of all places - why THAT communist cesspool? I HOPE it's some kind of classic car that you can't get anywhere else? That would be a decent reason..... :)

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I think Brandon's reply is about right. Shouldn't be too bad. But of all places - why THAT communist cesspool? I HOPE it's some kind of classic car that you can't get anywhere else? That would be a decent reason..... :)

HaHa! Yeah, I would rather not buy from the land of corrupt politicians, oh wait, that's our whole country. The car I am looking for ( 05 Saturn Vue Redline) is kind of hard to find and this one has low miles and looks pretty nice.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Some states require you to pay taxes there and others you just pay when you go to register. Te dealer will put temps on .. You'll be fine there. Make sure it's not a rebuilt title. I've purchased a car from illinois before that was rebuilt but the title doesn't say it there for whatever reason. Be prepared to drive home if it's not what you want.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I've had a couple bought out of Illinois. I had to have an Leo come out and verify the vin with the title and give me paper work.

REWSTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Hammond
    yea they give you a temp tag i believe its like 10 bucks. then you will need to go to your BMV,pay tax on the car,title transfer and plate fee.

a Saturn really? if your set in your choice i will shut up, but if i can steer someone away from a Saturn i will do my best. :D

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In addition to the normal excise tax and registration fees that are due on any car, if you did not pay Indiana sales tax, the BMV will be collecting that before the issue your plates and registration. The IL dealer should NOT collect IL sales tax on the purchase.

Having learned the hard way, check, double check and recheck to make sure the title has the right VIN number. I bought a bike with a typo (a 6 should have been an 8) It was a really complicated mess to fix. This gets harder when the dealer does not actually have the title and that "the bank has it and they will mail it to you"

Good Luck

JeepArn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Avon
    We bought a car in KY last year and were issued a temp tag from KY for 10 days which allowed us to get to the IN BMV for registration. We did however pay the 6% KY tax at the dealer and then paid the 1% tax diff once at the IN BMV. If you do pay a tax in IL make sure the dealer gives you paperwork stating such.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I bought my F350 at a dealer in Watseka ,Ill, in 2011. I'm pretty sure that they charged me sales tax there. 6.25% (I think) I then had to pay .75% at the BMV here, to make up the difference to our 7%. Been a while, and my memory is a little fuzzy on the deal. I know that years ago, I had to take a truck I bought in Ill., to our Local LEO, and have him check the VIN. I don't remember doing that this time.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I've had a couple bought out of Illinois. I had to have an Leo come out and verify the vin with the title and give me paper work.

Im pretty sure this is only if your buying a car from an individual.

If you buy it from a dealer, then you don't have to go through this.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Im pretty sure this is only if your buying a car from an individual.

If you buy it from a dealer, then you don't have to go through this.

You must get a VIN check on all cars bought out of state and you want them titled in Indiana. dealer or not. Our Touareg came from a VW dealer in Cincinnati OH. I had to have the VIN checked to get it plated. You can take the vehicle to the BMV and they will do it there or call the police to your house and they will do it there.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I think everyone has given you the correct info. I just purchased a truck in IL, yes IL, in May. They gave me a temp plate for $10, paid my IL taxes, and was on my way. When I went to register it in IN, I went to the DMV, they verified the VIN, and I paid the difference in sales tax. I want to say that there was a form that the IL dealership gave me saying I paid the IL sales tax, but that info should be on the sales sheet as well. Good luck.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ive brought back a couple of jeeps from IL. I just throw a plate on it to bring it back then take title to license branch and everything is normal.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    In addition to the normal excise tax and registration fees that are due on any car, if you did not pay Indiana sales tax, the BMV will be collecting that before the issue your plates and registration. The IL dealer should NOT collect IL sales tax on the purchase.

This is very important. I brought a car in MD to bring to IN and they collected IN tax. The problem I had was they messed up the IN car tax and charged me regular sales tax (8.25%?). All they did was give me a check from the dealership to the state of IN with the amount on it, so i took that check with me to register the car. Even though I over paid on taxes, the BMV let me add up all my registration costs before taking the check from me, so, fortunately, I got all that money "back".

Top Bottom