• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I have been lusting after a .308 AR for a while.
    A Larue OBR would be the cats meow, but I think I have settled on a 16" POF piston gun for now.

Question is, should I buy 1 or build it ?
    Not only is it hard to actually find a 16" actually for sale, but they are $2600 and up

I have found NIB stripped lowers for sale on the net for $350 and NIB uppers for at around $1800. That totals to $2150. That leaves $450 to finish out the lower.

Seems like a good way to get the gun and actually have the stock and grip I want from the start.

Any opinions?
    What would a .308 Lower parts kit cost?

Johnny C

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    The LPK is pretty much the same as the standard AR-15 except the take down pin, front pivot, and bolt catch screw. DPMS sells a 308 kit with the larger pins.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Just curious but I am putting a .308 together and I chose the 700 platform. Why do you choose the AR platform?

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I choose the AR because it is Semi-auto.
    There are other semis out there, but a well built AR seems to be the most accurate of the Semis at this point in time and the accessories are hard to beat.

And the fact that the Lefties hate them is a big bonus in my book !

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Given that you can buy a complete DPMS Panther for under $1000.00 I think I would start with a complete gun and then slowly as money permitted add on the accessories you want.

^^^ :+1: This. I bought a DPMS LR-308 at the gun show in Fort Wayne for $864. Talk to the guys at ZGuns in Goshen. Depending on where you're at they go to the Fort Wayne and 1500 gun shows. They may also go to others. I'm not affiliated with them so I don't know.

Most people call assembling building. Building is overrated. It will end up costing about the same. You might save $100. Maybe. I've found a lot better deals buying complete.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Well, according to what I have read about the Larue and the POF, they shoot sob MOA all day long with about any ammo, and the "cost effective" ones like DPMS are lucky to ever make MOA with ANY ammo type.

What experience do Y'all have with accuracy with the lower priced .308s

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Well, according to what I have read about the Larue and the POF, they shoot sob MOA all day long with about any ammo, and the "cost effective" ones like DPMS are lucky to ever make MOA with ANY ammo type.

What experience do Y'all have with accuracy with the lower priced .308s

My LR308-C is more accurate than I am. For factory ammo FGGM it was a hair under 1moa@100yards on the bench. I haven't yet tuned a load for it but I imagine I could get that down some once I do. Shooting surplus 7.62 it was all over the place at about 3moa at that distance.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Note: Not an AR guy...

But I'd imagine that if you're VERY patient, you might very well be able to build your .308 AR rather inexpensively.

But, as I said, you'll have to be patient. And you'll have to spend a LOT of time scouring both local shops AND several dozen internet sites in order to compare prices (including shipping and/or sales tax as applicable)

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    No gun shoots sub moa, "all day long with about any ammo."

My friend's DPMS that he sold would shoot sub moa with good handloads, even at magazine length, all the way to 600 yards.

A piston gun will never be as accurate as a direct impingement gun. I have serious doubts that Mark Larue's rebadged rifle would shoot sub MOA with any ammo, and certainly not some crap from the store.

There are a lot more "sub moa" rifles on the internet than at the range, that's for sure.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom