• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Sometimes people in government will help out a company. Especially, if it means they get to stomp on the competition for them.

via Jalopnik

Jonathon Schoenakase of Quincy, Illinois was arrested last Saturday outside a local bar. His crime? Operating "Courtesy Rides" — a service offering free rides to bar-goers to prevent drunk driving. The reason? Taxi companies lobbied to make it illegal. Schoenakase began operating Courtesy Rides on January 31, 2008 following a decision to do something about drunk driving after one of his friends was killed by a drunk driver. The service offers free rides to anyone who's been out drinking and needs a ride home, donations are accepted, but it's free to all. It was such a success Jonathan added a second car to the effort in 2009, then a bus, and that's when Diamond Cab service took notice.
    They complained to the city that Schoenakase was operating a de facto taxi service without a proper license, but in reality they were mad he was cutting into their profits by offering for free what the Diamond was charging for. Amusingly, he was probably hitting a different demographic, cheapskates who don't want to pay for taxis but want to get home so they drink and drive, but that's beside the point. The cab company complained loud enough that the Quincy City Council changed its taxi and limousine ordinance to remove the words "for hire" from its definitions and thus eliminate the loophole Schoenakase was operating under. Following the change, Jonathan applied for a license and the Chief of Police was supposedly about to approve it, but withdrew and said Schoenakase needed to clear up some legal issues.
    Read the rest at the source. So glad I don't live in Illinois.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    More Obama/Chicago style politics. What's best for the people be damned. It's all about cronyism now.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Saw that too, I'm SO F'N tired of the bureaucracy...

I think we're only a few straws away from SHTF with regards to the Political Class...

That the gulf between these two Americas is growing wider is seen most disturbingly in Rasmussen's finding that less than a quarter of Mainstream America now believe the government has the consent of the governed.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Wait and see. Wrecker services will get in on this action and make it illegal for passing motorists to help someone push their car out of an intersection, change a flat tire, etc.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    wow you cant even help people any more without someone getting their panties in a bunch. I think that is a great idea to prevent drunk driving. I guess these guys would rather make a couple bucks than let somebody actually do something good.

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    wow you cant even help people any more without someone getting their panties in a bunch. I think that is a great idea to prevent drunk driving. I guess these guys would rather make a couple bucks than let somebody actually do something good.

Divide and Conquer.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Nullification is a good thing. Unfortunately, it won't help this guy, only replacing the corrupt politicians would help, along with their lap dog sheriff.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    un-effing-believable.

I posted this back at a IL local board so that people in a position to tar and feather these corrupt politicians can do so.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Since he's out of the good samaritan business, he should immediately take up politics.

He's got the heart for service and the free publicity courtesy of his opponents.

Couldn't you imagine the finger pointing and name calling, the sweating and stumbling of his opponent as he chastises them on stage in the debate. He should align with a group of like minded people and run everyone involved in this debacle out of office in one sweep.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Nullification is a good thing. Unfortunately, it won't help this guy, only replacing the corrupt politicians would help, along with their lap dog sheriff.

The story says he was arrested, not convicted. Hence, the potential jury could vote aquittal and he walks free, unless of course the prosecuting attorney scares him into plea bargaining.

Of course, for this to work, people would have to be educated on the responsibility and power that a juror has. I would guess that those same type of people would be the type to vote the corrupt politicians out of that town as well.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom