• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Well Im looking to get an AR, I just dont know what I want, I know I would like to keep in under 1000 dollars. Give me some suggestions, Other manufactures? What ya thinking? I am not looking to get someones pieced together AR either becfuase I like new with warranties. Im a newbie so thats the reason for that! Let me know!

I am leaning towards the AR 15 (M4 version)

What kind of sight? Eotech? Something like Eotech? hologram? Non-hologram?
    I dont mind spending the money on a sight if needed(but if not needed.. I wont). I am 25 with pretty decent vision, But Id like to get the full range out of my AR I buy.

Remeber im new, Help me out!

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    Mooresville
    I would have to go with the bushmaster. I have one and have never had any problems with it. I have had it a couple of years and never one problem. When I was looking, I looked at just about everything and heard all kinds of bad stories about other brands. I feel that it is always worth the spending the extra money for a gun that works rather than buying something and then having to send it back and forth to have it fixed and adventually having to trade it off and loseing money to get what I should have got in the first place.

I have a eotech and it works great, just remember to turn it off the cost of batt for the sucker are crazy.

Last edited:

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    I agree about the Bushmaster. Have never had a problem with mine in the 5 years I have had it. It's 5.56 so I have plenty of choices in ammo as well.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    of the 2 listed, i would go with the Bushie.

but for only $200, you can drink the Colt Kool-Aid. i wouldnt buy optics right away, especially something like an Eotech. spend the $500 for the Eotech on a better rifle.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Own both. I like them both. the Bushmaster has a better fit and finish but if its just a plinker the DPMS will be just fine and you can buy more ammo. I have pushed thousands through each with no worries on either.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I had, and sold 2 Bushmasters. They were fine guns. I've got a bit of experience with DPMS parts and it seems their quality controls are somewhat iffy. Given the choice, I'd be picking Bushmaster over DPMS. There are other brands that are also worthy of consideration.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Go to a shop and get the one that fits you best , you will know ...

Of the 2 you mention I personally like the bushmaster .

But there are ALOT of AR's out there now , Doublestar is another Very nice gun , I personally don't care for the Colt AR but thats just me personally .

Stag arms Im told make a good model you just need to see them and pick the one that feels best to you in your hands :ingo:

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Of the two brands mentioned, I'd take the Bushmaster. That said, if you can find a S&W, LMT, Daniel Defense or Charles Daly in the same price range, do it.

Shooter521 offers great advice! CD makes some very nice weapons that are well made and are receiving very good reviews from people who know.

Buckaroo

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I have been using Olympics for over a year and a half now and have sold hundreds of them in the last 6 months with absolutely no problems. I have a full auto post sample that I ran 10 twenty eight round mags through in full auto ias fast as I could reload and she ran 100%, (to hot to touch though). I am prejudice, but for 800 bucks, (sale price) NIB you can't beat them.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Of the 2 mentioned, ARMALITE!!:rockwoot:

Sorry, just couldn't help myself!:dunno::D

Either is a fine choice, I suggest Bushmaster over DPMS just because I the fit and finish. I have seen quite a few DPMS rifles Factory new with slight blemishes, but nothing mechanical and I like the flatter color to the Bushmaster finish. About the only thing I think DPMS has up on the Bushmaster is that they come(generally) with 2 mags instead of on and a form fitted case. IMHO I like the Bushmaster cases better because you can use it with any rifle instead of just an AR variant.

DPMS does seem to offer more variations and calibers than Bushmaster does from he factory, but since you are already geared for a M4 style this is erelavent.

IMHO Colts are over rated, years of guberment contracts have given them a big head. I won't own one, atleast not at the prices they are bringing. I would much rather stay with my Bushmasters and Armalites.:twocents:

:draw:

EDIT:

I have been using Olympics for over a year and a half now and have sold hundreds of them in the last 6 months with absolutely no problems. I have a full auto post sample that I ran 10 twenty eight round mags through in full auto ias fast as I could reload and she ran 100%, (to hot to touch though). I am prejudice, but for 800 bucks, (sale price) NIB you can't beat them.

:+1:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    nt.

DPMS does seem to offer more variations and calibers than Bushmaster does from he factory, but since you are already geared for a M4 style this is erelavent.

IMHO Colts are over rated, years of guberment contracts have given them a big head. I won't own one, atleast not at the prices they are bringing. I would much rather stay with my Bushmasters and Armalites.:twocents:

as an owner of a DPMS Panther Lite-16 and a Colt 6920, there is no comparison. gooberment or not, the Colt is the better rifle hands down. I dont think Colt is the only option...Stag and S&W (and others) are making some fine rifles. but having gone the DPMS route because it was cheaper, i wish i had just bought the better gun in the first place.

ymmv

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    as an owner of a DPMS Panther Lite-16 and a Colt 6920, there is no comparison. gooberment or not, the Colt is the better rifle hands down. I dont think Colt is the only option...Stag and S&W (and others) are making some fine rifles. but having gone the DPMS route because it was cheaper, i wish i had just bought the better gun in the first place.

ymmv

Never said Colts weren't fine rifles, just severely over-priced.

EDIT: Well, I shoud say whem I bought my Armalite and Bushmasters there was a $400 to $600 dollar difference between them and the Colts. The price gap now doesn't seem to be so large, but I can ga-run-tee that if I tossed you my Bushmaster or Armalite you couldn't tell the difference with your Colt.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I also have a bunch of Olympic Arms stuff, everything has been 100% for me and in addition to being a good value, they offer a lifetime warranty! They got a bad reputation for some old 'cast' receivers, but those are long gone and have not been produced for years. The new guns are good to go.

Shooter521 offers great advice! CD makes some very nice weapons that are well made and are receiving very good reviews from people who know.

Buckaroo
    I also like the Charles Daly-Defense ARs. They have a beautiful fit and finish, and for my money the best out of the box trigger on the market. I've got one that is a factory CD-D lower with a custom 6.5 Grendel upper that is too good to be true. Can't go wrong with CD-D. I've also traded some cigars with the president of CD and can attest to his fine choices and attention to quality.

czar996

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Ditto on this recommendation, and I'll toss RRA and Stag into the list.

Are RRAs pretty good guns? That is the only AR my local dealer carrys and he swears by them. I am currently saving my pennies for one, but not sure what to get either.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    Are RRAs pretty good guns? That is the only AR my local dealer carrys and he swears by them. I am currently saving my pennies for one, but not sure what to get either.

Very Nice! Definately a choice worth saving some green for. If you get one, get one that has the two-stage trigger, you will like it better than a standard trigger, much smoother, IMHO.;)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I had a bushmaster 6.8 that didn't shoot worth a darn accuracy wise.

I just sold a DPMS Sweet 16 that could hit any target I needed to out to 500 yards without a second thought.

They are both fine guns. I hope to buy more of both their products in the future.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I had a bushmaster 6.8 that didn't shoot worth a darn accuracy wise.
    Part of that may have been the ammo. The 6.8 Rem SPC has horrid ballistics. The BC of that light stubby reasonably fat bullet borders on tragic, it runs out of energy quickly, and even Remington downgraded their own ballistics tables for that round by about 200 feet per second which makes the energy numbers look even worse.

That round works well for short to modest ranges, is better than the 5.56 in terms of energy. But its promise, in factory form, is simply undelivered and unrealized. Lots of positive hype about it when it came out, lots of people believe in it, but it really is a dog ballistically. :twocents:

Top Bottom