• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've got a Mamba. I didn't set out to specifically get one with the stretchy area, but I got it at such a discount I had to try it.

T.H.E. MAMBA Weapon Sling | Rifle, Gun & Tactical Slings | SPEC.-OPS Tactical Gear

I like it, but I guess it depends on your mission. I'm not running with a rifle tucked between my legs. If I have to transition to a pistol, its unlikely I'll find myself charging with two hands on a pistol and the rifle flopping around.

The stretch is very limited in this model, and the resistance is pretty high. I don't feel it moves much more than a traditional 3 point.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You can borrow mine if you'd like...and when your done you can set it on fire then **** on it. I don't want it back though.

What kind is it exactly? I'd be glad to come pick it up and return it when I'm done (**** free, of course).

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Anyone who wants to try one out, Amazon has one for about 5 bucks including shipping. It's a single point with a kinda crappy latch. I use it on my 458 for hunting. I used it to drag a buck that my son shot for a hundred yards and didn't hurt it.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    We are big fans of the OSOE bungee slings. Very comfortable, good for shoulder transitions and muzzle striking. Haven't experienced any of the negatives others are talking about using those specific slings.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    What kind is it exactly? I'd be glad to come pick it up and return it when I'm done (**** free, of course).

I dunno. I think it's by specter.

looks like this
    Specter-Viper-Sling.jpg

If you bring it back, i'll be mad at you.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Evan, you may want to give this one a try.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDfh4vuMFu8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDfh4vuMFu8[/ame]

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Who here runs (or has run) a sling with some amount of bungee material? What do think about them?

I've never run one, but have often heard that they bounce the gun up and down when moving. Watching a recent YouTube video the reviewer said it actually acted as a shock absorber and was better when moving. :dunno:

What are your experiences?

I've got one you can just have if you want. I hate it! Way to much sag for me, I'm a short guy as it is so i need stuff cinched up tight and this doesn't do it for me. I'm pretty sure this is the exact sling I have, (I know it came from OPTactical) I'll double check when I get home. Just tell me where to ship it brother and it's yours.

215 Gear Enhanced Single Point Sling

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    I have a question and hope I don't jack the thread. How often and under what circumstances does someone move without control of the rifle with one or both hands? I know it's a broad question, but an example would do. A video would be great.

I can't think of a reason to do it at the range, unless your course of fire dictates it. Its much more of an issue if you carry your primary 24/7; positive control of the weapon is important, but some things just take 2 hands lol. Heres some things I remember letting it dangle for...moving heavy or awkward equipment around, cas evac situations, and my favorite, filling my plate at the chow hall. :laugh:

spqr

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Zionsville
    I've used both 2-point and 1-point traditional slings and recently tried a 1-point bungee sling in order to transition to left or right shoulder stock position. Personally, I've come to the conclusion that 1-point slings in general are a pain when transitioning to a sidearm...I'm not convinced that the bungee makes it worse but my rifle swings all over the place! The 2-point sling allows me to place my rifle where I want it and keep it out of my way. I guess I don't see an advantage to a 2-point bungee...any opinions?

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I run a Savvy Sniper Q.U.A.D. sling. I love it. It has a small piece of bungy around the back. It makes punching the rifle out easy if it is cinched into your body. It is a 2-1 convertible. I like the 2-1 as I like the admin carry of the 2 point while still being able to operate with it, or if I know I'm going to be in a building or might have to transition to my other shoulder, 1 point is great. The tri-glide slider is great and hold right where you stop it.

If you want to meet up I can let you borrow it if you want to try it out. I have a different sling I could use in the interim.

Savvy Sniper

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Who here [STRIKE]runs[/STRIKE] uses(or has [STRIKE]run[/STRIKE] used) a sling with some amount of bungee material? What do think about them?

I've never [STRIKE]run[/STRIKE] used one, but have often heard that they bounce the gun up and down when moving. Watching a recent YouTube video the reviewer said it actually acted as a shock absorber and was better when moving. :dunno:

What are your experiences?

FIFY

I've used bungee slings since I started using a single point sling. My first was the bungee cord that used to be sold by Z weapons systems (made the rifles marketed by Para-Ordnance now). No problems with bouncing, but it really dug into my neck.

For the last eight years or so, I've used a sling made by Blackhawk and designed by retired SEAL Duane Dieter:

BLACKHAWK! Dieter CQD® Sling w/Sling cover (2-PT) - BLACKHAWK!

You can use it as a single point (which I usually do) or a two point (which I sometimes do). It's not rapidly adjustable, so it doesn't quite work like a VTAC or Vickers sling. It is, however, ridiculously simple to use.

Never had trouble with bouncing, but then I don't move that fast. The elastic is stiff enough that the mass of the rifle isn't really enough to make it bounce much. It just gives enough when you push on it when you need it to happen.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Pale Rider was kind enough to send me a single-point bungee sling from 215 Gear. I'll report back here when I've had a chance to try it out.

Corbinator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    I have one on a .22 plinker. I love it. It does help steady the weapon through resistance while slinged. The one I have i paid $20 for and has fabric over the "bungee" it also came with a nifty scope cover.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The #1 cause of problems with bungee slings are cheap bungee slings. They are not all created equal.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Pale Rider was kind enough to send me a single-point bungee sling from 215 Gear. I'll report back here when I've had a chance to try it out.

Sorry for the late update, but yesterday I had some time to finalize my thoughts on the bungee sling that Pale Rider was kind enough to send me.

Some of my impressions were unique to the 215Gear sling itself, and some were of the use of bungee material in sling construction.

Overall I did not care for the 215Gear single-point bungee sling. I found it to be about 6" too long, even when adjusted to its shortest length. If it were 6" shorter it would hold tighter to my body, and the rifle would hang in a better position. And the bungee material would still have allowed me to shoulder my rifle on either shoulder, make shoulder transitions, and transition to pistol without fear of the rifle flopping all around. Of course there would still be more movement than a 2-point sling simply due to configuration. So the sling either needs to be shorter, or I need to be bigger around.

Here you can see the difference between when I maintain control over the rifle, and where it falls when its let loose. It comes to rest several inches below where I feel it should be.

21aem9.jpg

15n95yp.jpg

Now, what about the concept of bungee material in a sling? I like it.

I like having the rifle's natural return position closer to my body, while still being able to punch it out and shoot from whatever position I'm in. The bungee material allows this to happen in lieu of making length adjustments on the fly. It also provides some amount of active resistance to aid in steadying the gun. Too much would obviously start to fatigue a shooter, so there needs to be a balance.

So my sling quest continues. The VTAC 2-point with bungee material has caught my eye, so I may try that next. Or maybe I'll have to check out SOE's offerings when I'm down at Tactical Response at the end of the month.

Top Bottom