• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Man. How hard do you have to smack these things to get the bullet out?
    I was setting My die and took 9 trys to get it exactly precise.Hey Im new to all this.Picked up a bullet puller and,I'm afraid I'm gonna break this thing before I get the first bullet pulled.Is this normal? There not crimped. I'm trying to pull 168 gr.SMK .308 Any advice?

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    It depends on what you hit it on. If I hit mine on the wood portion of the bench it takes a few tries. If I hit it on the 1/2" steel block that I use for stamping it works first time every time.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks.I was smacking it on the bench as well,pretty hard... nothing. Went out side and hit it on a stump and walla out it came ,half the force,I guess I'll have to find something with end grain. Panicked to soon.LOL thanks

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks.I was smacking it on the bench as well,pretty hard... nothing. Went out side and hit it on a stump and walla out it came ,half the force,I guess I'll have to find something with end grain. Panicked to soon.LOL thanks

Yes, the kinetic puller works well... For a mistake or two. Now, if someone gives me a quanity of questionable loads and I want to salvage components, I prefer the hornady cam-lock puller that uses collets. I have a cheap single stage set up for this purpose only.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Also the type of crimp will make the number of smacks differ. Roll crimped rounds are a pain to pull since they are designed to stay seated in heavy recoiling firearms. taper crimped or just plain seated rounds are a one or two smack deal

workinman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    NWI
    i like having both the collet and "hammer" pullers. the collet for several loadings at a time and the hammer for a few.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have a brick next to my bench(drove the g/f crazy wackin' on the carpeted floor...short trip:D ).....45acp 1 to 2 wackes.....223 crimped 3 to 4 wackes....

perminator

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    east side indy
    i have a small 8x8x8 block that i set on the corner of my bench over the support leg and usually pull any bullet within 2-3 whacks the more solid the object your hitting it on the better it works.

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I smack it on my vice.On ammo that does not have a heavy crimp or has sealant on the bullet put the cartridge in the press and turn the seating stem down a couple of turns to push the bullet down into the case to break it loose and then try pulling it.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I always whack mine on the end of a short piece of 2x10 that I keep close to the bench. Hitting an extremely hard surface can crack the puller.

Cannondale

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I find that there is a big difference between hitting mine on a wood bench and the cement floor. If you have a few assemblies which are too short due to die set up, but have the correct components and powder charge, you can partially move the bullet out, but not totally out of the case and then reseat the bullet to the correct OAL.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    4x4's, 6x6's, hitting it on the vice!!! I must really be behind the times, since I use a good old piece if 18" ash firewood beside my bench. I can smack the :poop: out of my puller without waking up the whole house!:D

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    What you whack it on makes all the difference. I thought it would break if I used mine on a rock or concrete. The side of a 2x4 oak plank just bounced - had to whack it 5-6 times. I finally used the same plank, but stood it up on end on the concrete floor. One whack - out it came!

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    What you whack it on makes all the difference. I thought it would break if I used mine on a rock or concrete. The side of a 2x4 oak plank just bounced - had to whack it 5-6 times. I finally used the same plank, but stood it up on end on the concrete floor. One whack - out it came!

Your right,End grain works the best and hold the handle loose.Two smacks and everyone has came out for me. I started smacking the srap out of it on the bench,thought I was gonna end up breaking it, Amazing how well it worked after I got some good info. Thanks

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Yep, that end grain is pretty solid. The cracking that I referenced earlier was a result of having loaded quite a few 30-06 rounds with the wrong powder. By the time that I had them all pulled there was a noticeable crack in the puller. Maybe just a fluke, but it happened to me.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I use the concrete floor or a block of steel. Mine's been hit so much the handle is bent. I bend it backit in the vise every few rounds. For anything more than 2-3 rounds, use the collet type puller.

Top Bottom