• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Good video that explains the concept of a bullet "falling asleep" once it becomes stabilized.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pF8W5liSRc&feature=channel]YouTube - Pitching and Yawing of a bullet[/ame]

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Saw this one and a couple similar some time back. A good thing to post for others!

I was "afraid" this was going to be another "noooooo....THIS is what happens" post.

Sometimes, in my case at least, ignorance is bliss and KISS needs to be applied so I dont give myself a headache and all along my bullets were going WHERE I wanted and doing WHAT I wanted. :dunno:

I had to look though. LOL

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sorry, I don't buy it.

If I shoot small (by my definition) groups at 25 yards, 100 yards, 200 yards, etc, (but the same in MOA) this is telling me that I have an ideal charge behind the proper weight bullet, in a ideal length barrel with a perfect crown. In other words a matched load out of good equipment.

If I was to shoot a large group at short range but a small group at longer ranges (in terms of MOA), I certainly would investigate the cause of the apparent lack of accuracy at short range.

The problem with the example presented as "proof" that a bullet gets more stable with longer range is that the viewer has no idea of the quality of the barrel and especially the crown of that barrel.

Secondly I would want to know if the barrel twist is appropriate for the weight of bullet being fired.

Third, I would want to know if the powder charge and burn rate is appropriate for the barrel length and bullet weight.

Sorry folks, I just have never seen indications of a bullet "going to sleep" for any reasonable, safe combination of bullet, powder, and barrel length.

Having said that, I have always felt (but could never prove) that the 8 twist barrel and the 80 grain .223 bullet is just not optimum for the 300 yard reduced course. It is plenty good for 600 yards though.

Especially since I have cleaned the 300 yard target with this combination. I just think the Kreiger 7.7 twist is better for the 80 grain .223 bullet.

I am a simple person. I just shoot and my scores get recorded by my scorekeeper.

Regards and good shooting

Last edited:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have an email into the creator of that visual, Brian Litz (chief ballistician at Berger Bullets and a Palma shooter, for those who don't know but care). When I get a response, I'll post.

Top Bottom