• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I have a Liberty safe and would like to gut it out and build some wood shelves that can handle a little more weight. I do not have many long guns in there, in fact the only guns that reach the upper part of the gun rack is 2 shotguns and those can be broken down.

I'm not sure the best way to add wood shelves without drilling into the sides of the safe (inside) to screw in the wood. I am afraid that might weaken the fireproof rating?

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    Build a frame to mount the shelves to. Some 1X1 would do the trick. 4 corners and braces at the height you want the shelves. Then cut the shelves to fit and set them in, secure with screws if preferred.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You could always use some type of construction adhesive to glue some shelf standards to the walls of the safe.
    After the adhesive dries, put shelf clips in anywhere you want.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Doesn't the safe already have those metal strips for metal tab supports? I pulled the interior out of mine and was able to design something more useful that used the factory clip/rail system. That way I did not compromise the fire retardant lining.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Doesn't the safe already have those metal strips for metal tab supports? I pulled the interior out of mine and was able to design something more useful that used the factory clip/rail system. That way I did not compromise the fire retardant lining.

This is what I did also i have loaded mine down with zero issues. Even when I had a ton of weight stcked on them I just cut 1×4 to use as braces underneath. Like a pillar

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Are those metal strips screwed into wood, or metal?
    Do they go all the way to the floor?
    If either of the above are the case, use the proper metal clips for the "standards", and stack away.

All of the pressure is straight down. The shear strength of common screws is tremendous, as long as it's properly anchored.

Top Bottom