• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I am interested in building a shooting range in my basement. My question is about the law that makes it unlawful to discharge a firearm within city limits. Would that also be the case in a in-home firing range? Anyone have any insight?

Thanks,

INGunGuy

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think that situation is one of those "spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law" dealios...

One of those "if the wrong people found out, you could probably land in trouble" type scenarios.

The personal freedom part of me says "heck yeah, go for it"...

But the rule-follower part of me says "against the law? For real? What happens if I get caught?"

IF you do it... I recommend that you keep it on the down low. And make sure that you have VERY VERY GOOD ventilation.

-J-

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I think that situation is one of those "spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law" dealios...

One of those "if the wrong people found out, you could probably land in trouble" type scenarios.

The personal freedom part of me says "heck yeah, go for it"...

But the rule-follower part of me says "against the law? For real? What happens if I get caught?"

IF you do it... I recommend that you keep it on the down low. And make sure that you have VERY VERY GOOD ventilation.

-J-

Well, I kind of look at the law like this, If one were to discharge a firearm within the city and close proximity to other people/buildings then there is a possibility of an errant round striking and hurting or killing someone. BUT, a indoor range would not have that problem.

INGunGuy

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Key Master beat me to it. You have to look at the local zoning ordinance and city/town/couty ordinance. For example in Griffith, IN you are not allowed to fire any type of weapon (BB, firearm, cannon, etc..) anywhere within the town limits including inside a home unless the town and local LEO approves it.

As such you need a permit, etc...

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I'd think twice. First, as you indicate, I doubt that there is an exception for indoor shooting ranges, absent some special permit.

More importantly, you are going to be "pumping a lot of lead" literally, into your home. You're going to risk the health of you and your family, and you're going to reduce the value of your home when you ever sell it. (Because, you're either going to disclose the fact that you have created this environmental problem, or you're going to fail to disclose it and thereby subject your purchaser and his family to this hazard.)

Doing this will probably be a default under your mortgage (your bank won't be excited about the devaluation of their collateral); as well as a breach of your homeowners' policy.

I'd think about joining a gun club.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well, I kind of look at the law like this, If one were to discharge a firearm within the city and close proximity to other people/buildings then there is a possibility of an errant round striking and hurting or killing someone. BUT, a indoor range would not have that problem.

INGunGuy

Until an shooting-related injury occurred. GSW bring a lot of inquiries.

Unless you're shooting .22s, or your neighbors are a fair distant from you, I'm betting the noise wouldn't be contained either.

ak keep the second

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ventilation is my only question, now we know the affects of lead on the body. One guy commented on that site saying a big fan could work, doesnt seem to safe. Unless you have lead free ammo which is rather expensive in comparison to regular ammo. Any other thoughts or you find anything let us know, Ive searched all over and havent found andything yet.

I JFGI (just F***ing Google it) how to build an indoor range and found this! I think its great! Build a 75 Foot TARGET RANGE in Your Basement

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Here is something to think about
    I'm ggoing to use 40,000 PSi as an example
    you have maybe some where near a 1/2 a cubic inch of volume in a shell case maybe more maybe less
    but if it were a square inch that gas would expand 40,000 times
    thats a lot of material to get rid of.
    What I'm talking about is ventalation
    I've been to a few small ranges and have gotten a cold just from the air flow that they have to keep the air breathable.
    Do you really want to do this in your house?
    Just my opinion

YukYuPhat

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    Here is something to think about
    I'm ggoing to use 40,000 PSi as an example
    you have maybe some where near a 1/2 a cubic inch of volume in a shell case maybe more maybe less
    but if it were a square inch that gas would expand 40,000 times
    thats a lot of material to get rid of.
    What I'm talking about is ventalation
    I've been to a few small ranges and have gotten a cold just from the air flow that they have to keep the air breathable.
    Do you really want to do this in your house?
    Just my opinion

What I would use an indoor range is for ammo testing. I would not be shooting for practice or :ar15:. At the most I would do is fire one round, clean gun/inspect brass. With that being said I would not have to put a big vent system in. :twocents:

slars1327

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    SPEEDWAY AREA
    I think zoning as well as house insurance issues would but a BIG kink in the whole idea. 1 errant round , 1 epa do gooder(lead etc=epa trouble) , insurance underwriter for the home freaking out ( fire, liability , death etc). I would contact a VERY good firearms and zoning attorney b4 I would venture into this one.

Top Bottom